Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
That makes sense. I honestly don't know what GS was thinking in the first place though. It's always been said that the Apple Card had really high approval criteria versus other cards. If you're only approving the best group of consumers and they're using the card to buy products that cost $1k-$3k or more on average it wasn't really very smart for them to assume that most of the customers were going to ultimately carry balances past the "free interest" stage.
I don't know what the Fico score minimum is for GS but mine ranges between 810 and 835 depending on my monthly balance. Fico score will be low if you never borrow any money. The score goes higher if you borrow and pay it back on time. Doesn't seem to be related to whether you paid interest which I try not to do. Last interest I paid on borrowed money was 6 month WF loan to buy my Tesla Model S in 2020. I was planning to pay cash by selling stock but the market crashed due to the COVID scare so I needed a loan until my stock recovered enough to sell it and pay off the loan.

If they pulled up a history of my credit card use they would have seen that I have never in my life paid a cent of interest to the CC accounts. Never charge more than I am able to pay off before the due date. Back in the 90's I have 22 credit cards that had those zero finance charges for a year or so and you could pay off one card with another they called balance transfer. I financed my business equipment with those cards. When I retired I closed all the cards accounts. Today I have 4 CC accounts that have cash back.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Does anyone remember Lytro light field camera concept from 2012? Shoot now focus later? Apparently iPhone 15 does something similar.

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Does anyone remember Lytro light field camera concept from 2012? Shoot now focus later? Apparently iPhone 15 does something similar.
I suspect that this feature isn't what you think it is. I'm guessing it is an extension of the portrait mode where a bokeh is generated in software from a picture that is generally all in focus.

Reactions: TheForce

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I suspect that this feature isn't what you think it is. I'm guessing it is an extension of the portrait mode where a bokeh is generated in software from a picture that is generally all in focus.
I haven't looked at how Apple does this but see it is capable of lifting people off of a shot and then making the background out of focus to varying degrees. Most of my photography and video with my iphone was simple archival and non creative.
I used this technique in video advertising to bring the product into attention from the background by shooting with a long lens in wide aperture, f2.8 or less, that allows the subject or product to be in focus but the background and even some foreground objects would be out of focus. Professionally, I usually had a director who would tell me what the shot should look like and it was up to me to just get him what he asked for. In video, I would often be tasked to make the focus of attention to travel from one object in the shot to another object. Like from a person in the background to the product in the foreground. I don't know if this is possible in the iphone 15Pro.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
In video, I would often be tasked to make the focus of attention to travel from one object in the shot to another object. Like from a person in the background to the product in the foreground. I don't know if this is possible in the iphone 15Pro.
The iPhone camera has Cinematic Mode which can adjust focus to the subject of interest, with varying degrees of success. I was trying to find the video explaining and demonstrating it, but it’s no longer on the Apple YouTube channel.

I tried using it this summer to record our entry into the harbor on Beaver Island, but it was all unfocused. I’m not sure what the camera though the subject was supposed to be.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
The iPhone camera has Cinematic Mode which can adjust focus to the subject of interest, with varying degrees of success. I was trying to find the video explaining and demonstrating it, but it’s no longer on the Apple YouTube channel.

I tried using it this summer to record our entry into the harbor on Beaver Island, but it was all unfocused. I’m not sure what the camera though the subject was supposed to be.
I've seen that with photos shot with my daughter's iphone 14. It seems to select people but that was in portrait mode. Not sure if you could select other objects in a shot. Haven't spent much time with it.

My main interest in the Pro Max was the image stabilization with optical zoom to retire my collection of gimbals.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Chances are Apple will drop the trade-in allowances after the new iPhone 15 models arrive in the store.

Has this been past practice? When are they expected “in-store?”

Now I have another deadline to consider!

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Can you turn off the always on display, so it only glows when you want it to?

I don’t want light coming from the pocket or holster I carry it in, nor do I want a glowing screen while overnight charging.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
T-Mobil offers me $0 “due to the condition of my phone.”

HUH?

It’s a XS Max grey with 512. Been in OtterBox. No damage. But battery should be replaced

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
T-Mobil offers me $0 “due to the condition of my phone.”

HUH?

It’s a XS Max grey with 512. Been in OtterBox. No damage. But battery should be replaced
What did Apple offer you? You can also select T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T or no carrier at time of purchase.

BTW iOS 17 is now out. I'm installing it now but it is taking a really long time from the download to Preparing Update to installing. Half done installed after 30 minutes. 90 minutes into it so far. Lots of new features but not sure how well these will do in my older 11.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I dl 17 a few minutes ago.

Apple APPEARS to be offering me $170. But would they renege if delivery is delayed? As AT&T did for a $200 loss to me. If they see my battery life is at 79%?

IMG_5502.png

I suspect T-Mo sees I’m on the 55+ plan.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Replace battery for $89 and forego any rebate if and when when I upgrade a year or two?

Last edited:

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I note Googling gets an iPhone 15 Pro Max display size is 6.1”. Except when it says 6.5” - at Apple.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
navychop - When I traded in my iPhone 8 for my iPhone 13 last year I sent my 8 in the box Apple sent me. Due to the volume of trade-ins, my refund (full amount) was delayed by several weeks. Your only concern should be that something would happen to your XS while you were waiting for your new iPhone to arrive.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can have your phone evaluated to see how much Apple will actually give you off your XS.

Reactions: navychop