Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

I guess the Trade-in allowance discussion for your XS is now moot. FYI, Apple is still showing $170 for the iPhone XS Plus, so my prediction was wrong.

Try finding one in a store. Chat said to order it Right Now, as there was one I liked available at the Tysons store. Before I could finish, as predicted, it was sold. Tried other configurations. None available at the closest 12 stores.

So, mine will arrive 24-31 October.

OtterBox is out of many cases. Unspecified wait time. I like OtterBox, but it does not have a flip out stand. Maybe I should look elsewhere.

I watched a YouTube video last night from someone who was testing interoperability of components (swapping cameras, displays, etc).

It is truly remarkable how they managed to put so many screws in such a small package without making the phone upgradable.

The upshot of the experiment is that with the exception of the back glass (that now uses the same glue as the front glass), the iPhone 15 is no better off than the iPhone 14 in terms of reparability and parts interchange.

I watched a YouTube video last night from someone who was testing interoperability of components (swapping cameras, displays, etc).

It is truly remarkable how they managed to put so many screws in such a small package without making the phone upgradable.

The upshot of the experiment is that with the exception of the back glass (that now uses the same glue as the front glass), the iPhone 15 is no better off than the iPhone 14 in terms of reparability and parts interchange.
I saw a video as well as others about repairing iphones dating back to X models. The ability to repair these iphones is possible but needs special tools that you can buy, including a chip programmer from respectable repair businesses (ifixit). But the logical thing to do is just return the iphone to apple when their cost is less than having to buy all the special tools.
But what goes bad? In most cases it is damaged screen or the back and a weak battery. If Apple can repair then they are repairable. You just need to know how and have the proper tools.

I recently planned to replace the battery in my 11 Pro Max and while the new battery was not expensive off Amazon, I discovered I needed a special spot welder and a chip programmer to do the job. Apple wanted I recall $89. Then I heard the specs on the new 15 and decided it was just better to upgrade. I repaired my wife's old SE screen and gave it to my one grandson.

I don't buy things that I don't think I can perform simple repairs or upgrades on.

Bought a car lately? TV? How about a “smart” appliance?

I’ve had expert repairmen out to fix my stove - 3 times. Still awaiting parts. Each trip - oh, well, I guess it needs a different part. Not many parts there. “Expert” parts swappers.

My HVAC outdoor remote went bad. Sure, I could buy a new one- but I don’t have the access and programming codes to get it up and working.

Times have changed. Right To Repair? They might as well pass a law for the Sun to stand still.

I have no interest in attempting to repair this sort of stuff. With the annual upgrade program I always have AppleCare+ so if anything happens it will be replaced.

Reactions: navychop
I have no interest in attempting to repair this sort of stuff. With the annual upgrade program I always have AppleCare+ so if anything happens it will be replaced.
I found AC+ not worth it for me. While I have a good idea when I reach my limit to repair, I will attempt to troubleshoot and fix what broke until it goes beyond replacement cost. Haven't used Apple repair but if I needed to I would not hesitate as they do have standard pricing. When my wife's iphone SE broke due to her dropping it in a fall it was time for upgrade anyway.

eg. Just this week our Qardio Blood Pressure cuff just quit working. I could analyze the problem that was not transmitting BT signal to the iphone.
Steps I took-
1. check batteries- OK
2. check the magnetic switch that turns it on- not working.
3. Open the case and clean the switch contacts and now it turns on.
4. Test and it begins to pump but is intermittent and quits.
5. Recognize the switch is not a normal off the shelf part
6. Replacement price with my coupons- $75
7. Order a new one to replace the old one that is over 10 years old.

If something can be easily repaired and I know how, it is always easier to just fix it. I've saved a lot of money and time over the years doing my own repairs. But some things are worth repairing but will take more time than I wish to spend like replacing the cylinder head and carburetor on my generator. That would be borderline above my pay grade so I let the shop where I bought it do the repair. It was expensive but far cheaper than buying a new one.

As for Apple products, I have never damaged one that was either beyond my low cost repair or so old it was time to just upgrade. I had an ipad for three years when I upgraded and gave the old one to my grandson. He managed to smash the screen TWICE! I repaired it and told him no more. He's been using it since and hasn't broken it again.

I envy you guys who can repair these electronic thingies. I replaced the battery on my Kindle Fire. The battery cost $20 and I was so proud of getting it apart and back together. I charged it and it booted right up. Only problem, the touch screen no longer works. Now, it's a paperweight.

I replaced it with an iPad which I used for my camera monitor. It stayed on all day and off all night. Now, it has screen burn-in which makes it virtually useless as a camera monitor. I'm not even going to attempt to replace the screen.

I envy you guys who can repair these electronic thingies. I replaced the battery on my Kindle Fire. The battery cost $20 and I was so proud of getting it apart and back together. I charged it and it booted right up. Only problem, the touch screen no longer works. Now, it's a paperweight.

I replaced it with an iPad which I used for my camera monitor. It stayed on all day and off all night. Now, it has screen burn-in which makes it virtually useless as a camera monitor. I'm not even going to attempt to replace the screen.
I credit my father who taught me at a very early age how to repair my toys. He had a radio repair business as a young adult so he taught me electronics when I was still in elementary school. I later became a ham radio operator and he made me build my own transmitter and helped me find the parts. He also had me helping him do family car repairs including rebuilding the engine. That was my foundation for doing my own repairs throughout life.

Alright. Which one of you guys is in that commercial where you’re standing in a wet concrete driveway?
:oldlaugh

I credit my father who taught me at a very early age how to repair my toys. He had a radio repair business as a young adult so he taught me electronics when I was still in elementary school. I later became a ham radio operator and he made me build my own transmitter and helped me find the parts. He also had me helping him do family car repairs including rebuilding the engine. That was my foundation for doing my own repairs throughout life.
Yes, I grew up the same way. I can do carpentry, cabinet making, electrical work, etc. My dad was a mechanic and I grew up rebuilding engines, brakes, transmissions, etc. HOWEVER, electronics repairs require better eyesight, steady hands, and patience than I possess.

When I replaced the battery on the Kindle Fire, I could not see the ribbon connectors very well and just relied on feel to get them out and back in. Probably why the digitizer didn't work afterwards. I dismantled it four or five more times and finally gave up.