Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

Other things to do with the iPhone 15 series USB-C port?
The big attraction is likely having options when it comes to accessorizing your phone. No longer are you limited to what products come with Lightning plugs or forced to use some sort of adapter cable as has too long been a necessity.

Here's a YouTube video that explores some of the possibilities:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjGWKe2rmWQ

The happy part is that the support is already there for a number of devices.

The main advantage of USB-C is much faster transfer speed (USB 3 and Thunderbolt 4 vs USB 2), more than an order of magnitude faster! And also a unified standard for charging: I can now use the same charger and cable for iPhone, GoPro, and many other devices.

The main advantage of USB-C is much faster transfer speed (USB 3 and Thunderbolt 4 vs USB 2), more than an order of magnitude faster!
Yet it appears that the additional speed is only available on the Pro models and then, perhaps only with an MFi certified cable.

I thought that was disproven?
Looking at recent reviews, the only thing that was disproven was that an MFi cable would be required.

That said, the cable that ships with the iPhone 15 Pro models is apparently limited to USB 2.0 speeds. That's a cold slap in the face for a phone that costs $1,000 (unlocked).

Reactions: navychop
I thought that was disproven?
Correct! Back in August it was confirmed that Apple will not restrict USB C cables with MFI requirements. I'm pretty sure that harshness is correct that only the Pro 15 models will offer Thunderbolt speed with any high speed USB C cable. You should be sure the USB cable does support the higher speed. I'm using one now on my iMAC on it's Thunderbolt port.

Reactions: navychop
That said, the cable that ships with the iPhone 15 Pro models is apparently limited to USB 2.0 speeds. That's a cold slap in the face for a phone that costs $1,000 (unlocked).
Correct. I don't consider it a slap in the face but am more upset that so many preorders are so delayed. Apple should have been better prepared with inventory for immediate shipment at the announcement. They were prepared on the Apple Watches as stores are getting stock as needed daily.

Thunderbolt USB C 3 cables aren't that much more expensive.
I only had 1' Thunderbolt speed cable here so I just picked up a 10 ft one for $10.
You seem to be the only one making a big deal over this, similar to when Apple stopped supplying the little power adapter. Are you even in the market for an iphone 15 Pro?

Woke up this morning to a notice from UPS that my iphone 15 Pro Max will be delivered Monday, Oct 2. Then Apple sent me an email that it will be delivered on or before the 9th, it has shipped. Let's see which one is correct. :)

Woke up this morning to a notice from UPS that my iphone 15 Pro Max will be delivered Monday, Oct 2. Then Apple sent me an email that it will be delivered on or before the 9th, it has shipped. Let's see which one is correct. :)
Did you get the UPS tracking number?
If it's UPS Ground, then the tracking may not be too reliable.

Reactions: TheForce
Did you get the UPS tracking number?
If it's UPS Ground, then the tracking may not be too reliable.
Yes.

"Service
UPS Worldwide Express Saver®"

"UPS Worldwide Express Saver: Delivery in 1-3 business days by the end of the day to more than 215 countries and territories."

Was shipped on the 28th 8AM ZHENZHOU, 451162, CN EDT

Ha! Shipped directly from China?!

That explains the delivery date uncertainty. There can be customs delays.

The big attraction is likely having options when it comes to accessorizing your phone. No longer are you limited to what products come with Lightning plugs or forced to use some sort of adapter cable as has too long been a necessity.

Here's a YouTube video that explores some of the possibilities:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjGWKe2rmWQ

The happy part is that the support is already there for a number of devices.

More:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWQ_pmIRTo

Reactions: Foxbat
Are you even in the market for an iphone 15 Pro?
I don't actively use a wireless phone so I bumble along with "disposable" Android phones for around $20/year. I've moved my 128GB microSDXC card (circa 2012) from phone to phone. The main camera in my Samsung A13 is a 50MP unit. The display is 6.6". I dropped my A12 so I bought a hard case and holster this year.

Phone service for a year plus a new phone is usually under $130. The current deal at QVC is $107.99 for an A14 with one year of roll-over service. The phone service alone is $125/year. I think I'm up to about 18,000 minutes and 18,700 texts remaining.

My life doesn't revolve around my phone so I acknowledge that other's use cases are different.

I just got an “important” message from Apple. My delivery date has moved from 10/24/23 - 10/31/23 to 10/23/23 -10/30/23.

Big Whoop. Still, plenty of time to cancel.

I don't actively use a wireless phone...
OK, that adds up. However, it seems you have a key interest in details that you have no use interest in. Personally, I am more concerned with features and if I will use them as opposed to concern if it is worth the money. I do spend quite a bit on stuff that disappoints and I rarely use them. Good example is the Wrist Cam, see below.

I use my iphone throughout the day, but less with the Apple watch. I generally make calls and text with the iphone but answer calls with my Apple Watch.

This year I've been using my watch more for exercise monitoring, health vitals, and weight management. Just easier. The new Ultra2 is even better, but I'm still learning to use it's hidden features. Fortunately there are many videos on how to tap these features.

The one thing I wish the Apple Watch had is a built in camera for Facetime and taking a quick photo. I do have the "Wrist Cam" watch band for the Apple watch but it doesn't do Facetime. It is also a bit bulky.

Haven't noticed any overheating on mine. Initial setup was warm but that always happens. I bet it comes down to the mix of apps running. I don't use any social media apps so that may be why I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: Foxbat