Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

Since my iPhone is always with me, and AW health features fall short for me, I see no reason to even HAVE an Apple Watch.
If the phone is ALWAYS with you, then the watch is not a necessity. More a convenience: you can look up time or any other important info and receive calls and urgent messages without pulling out your phone.

While my phone is almost always with me, there are exceptions. For example, I don’t usually swim with the phone, but I can swim with the Apple Watch. It’s not a common occurrence, but I did answer some calls in a swimming pool and was glad I was able to.

There are situations where pulling out a phone is not convenient or is not polite: at business meetings, at a cinema, etc. But glancing at a watch is acceptable.

Again, not a necessity, but certainly a convenience.

Reactions: navychop
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that it is ok to transfer the settings from the old phone to the new one before unpairing the Watch, I just shouldn’t pair it to the new phone before unpairing it from the old one, right?

I am looking at the Apple’s instructions here:

What I experienced is if you create a situation where your new iphone pairs with your AW before you erase your old iphone, then during that time the AW gets confused and gets corrupted. Mine got so messed up when I tried to open the AW by raising my arm the apps would flash and the audio would ding ding and wouldn't quit. When I tried to re- pair it to the new iphone it froze.

As I understand when you activate your new phone, you should first unpair the AW before doing anything with the new phone, Then when the new phone is up and running OK, and the old one is reset open the watch app on your new iphone 15 and pair it. In my case I had corrupted the AW so bad that I had to reset it to factory new. And then install it from the new iphone after the old one was reset ready for trade-in.

Overall I give Apple a C- grade as the operation to activate is less than good. Needs better instructions on what to avoid. I didn't even see my problem on any YT videos. I guess I got lucky in manually resetting the AW Ultra2 to factory so I could start over.

There is also another bug in the system that now Wells Fargo blames Apple and Apple blames Wells Fargo. To verify a CC in Apple Wallet worked great for Apple Card, Capital One and Amazon Chase. But the Wells Fargo CC just says I need to call WF to activate. When I do they claim it is activated on Apple Wallet but the Wallet still says I need to Call the WF number. I can't even delete it and start over.

On another good note the normal high temperature when on the mag safe charger and many apps running in the background only gets to 91°F

Ilya- I also had to manually delete my old iphone 11Pro Max from the Teslas and reactivate the sync of calendar, phone contacts messages etc in BT on the Tesla to the new 15Pro Max phone. I was wondering why nothing worked yesterday's drive..

The Model Y is also different in that the iphone will unlock the Model Y as long as the Model Y is active, but I had to hold it near the B Piller just below the camera just like the Model Y card. I bought Key Fobs for us as well with the car. so we have options.

In the Model S the iphone won't allow me to drive without the Key Fob in the car. The iphone alone only controls data and stuff in the app but not to drive away.

I'm solar charging the Y right now so I haven't tested the iphone drive with no card or Key Fob. Will test later.

I wish Tesla would fix their software so both would work like each other.

I'm curious how different your 2023 Y and S are from each other. Hopefully they now are the same rather than suffer such differences like I see here.

Do you run any apps in the foreground?
Yes, I keep both the Tesla app and my solar system EcoFlow app running all the time plus several Apple apps, but these are considered background such as health monitoring throughout the day and sleep app when I am sleeping. The fitness apps also is running in the background. Lots of stuff is automatic in the default settings unless I manually disable them. This has been the case for quite some time with iOS.

As I understand when you activate your new phone, you should first unpair the AW before doing anything with the new phone,
That wasn’t my impression from reading Apple’s instructions, but I’ll do that to be safe.
Thanks for the warnings!

That wasn’t my impression from reading Apple’s instructions, but I’ll do that to be safe.
Thanks for the warnings!
It could be that when I did the transfer from the cloud backup caused the difference. If you can update with the phone to phone transfer that may prevent the double pairing I suffered from. When my phone to phone transfer failed at the instruction to scan that pattern circle, I couldn't start over again and had to use the cloud backup process. The whole process is really complicated.

One more advice, have all your passwords handy for your accounts and answers to security questions.

Reactions: Ilya
How about Bluetooth devices (AirPods, headphones, GoPro, cars, etc.) Do I need to unpair them? Or would the factory reset be enough?

I paired my Series 9 watch to my 14 Pro phone before the 15 Pro arrived. When I restored from iCloud to the 15 Pro the watch pairing came with it. My recent experience anyway.

How about Bluetooth devices (AirPods, headphones, GoPro, cars, etc.) Do I need to unpair them? Or would the factory reset be enough?
The only BT that came over was my airpods. Everything else needs to be re - paired. And I have quite a few GoPros and some Vuze and insta cameras too. another project for a day. Ugh!
I paired my Series 9 watch to my 14 Pro phone before the 15 Pro arrived. When I restored from iCloud to the 15 Pro the watch pairing came with it. My recent experience anyway.
Strange your experience matches when many YT showed with the 14Pro to the 15 Pro. I wonder if it has to do with an older iphone.

Frankly, I wouldn't have upgraded from 14 to the 15 but that's your choice. I'd like to hear what you found compelling enough to make that choice.

Frankly, I wouldn't have upgraded from 14 to the 15 but that's your choice. I'd like to hear what you found compelling enough to make that choice.

I'm in the yearly upgrade program. New one every year. I think of it as a lease. Probably not enough new stuff in the 15 to justify paying outright for it.

My installation steps so far:
  1. Made sure all updates were installed on the old phone
  2. Ran iCloud backup
  3. Unpaired and reset the Apple Watch (as recommended by TheForce )
  4. Turned on the new phone and selected the option to activate without the old phone (due to the known bug)
  5. Followed the prompts to activate the cellular service and to connect to Wi-Fi.
  6. Installed the iOS Update when prompted. Rebooted in the process of installation.
  7. Started all over, but this time selected the option to transfer the settings from the old phone.
  8. I chose to do direct transfer from the old phone rather than the iCloud route.
This is where I am right now. About 1 hour to go...

If I have to hold a 15 to the B pillar, that would be a killer for me. A major downgrade from my XS Max.

• Haha
Sorry to come in a little late here.

I also had problems pairing an Apple Watch to the new phone. However I didn't have to unpair and re-pair it.

I brought the phone very close to the watch. I got a message asking if I wanted to transfer from one phone to the other. I then got a message saying to keep the watch on my wrist and wait.

Initially I couldn't do this, it didn't work. And then I read the message. It said specifically to keep the watch on my wrist. I was keeping in on the desk. For the life of me I don't know why it would care if I was wearing the darn thing but... OK I said. I put it on, rebooted both, and tried again.

With the watch on my wrist it was perfectly happy.

Also, iOS and iPadOS 17.0.3 are out, with supposed fixes for the heat issue.

For the life of me I don't know why it would care if I was wearing the darn thing but...
That's probably because they want to keep the Watch unlocked during the process. The moment you remove it from your wrist, the Apple Watch automatically locks.

Here are the Apple instructions I referenced earlier:

Open the Apple Watch app on your new iPhone​

Keep your Apple Watch unlocked and on your wrist with your iPhone nearby. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.

If your iPhone asks you to confirm that you want to use your watch, follow the onscreen steps to finish setting up.

If your iPhone asks you to Start Pairing, unpair your Apple Watch so that you can set it up.

After setup, you can start using your Apple Watch with your new iPhone.

Reactions: Stuart Sweet
So, the way I read it, there are two ways to transfer the Watch from one phone to another: the Easy way and the Hard way. The Easy way requires you to keep the Watch unlocked, on your wrist and close to the phone. If the Easy way fails, then you do the Hard way: unpair it manually from the old phone, that will reset it. And then pair it to the new phone.

Reactions: TheForce and Foxbat
The transfer is complete! Apps are loading now.
I’ll wait for them all to load before paring the Watch and other devices.

Reactions: TheForce and Foxbat

Apple Vision Pro Gets a Release Date

Apple Event - May 7, 2024 (New iPads!)