Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

Tracking shows my 15PM is in Korea now. Still scheduled for delivery by Monday 7PM. I was a little concerned if the Gov Shutdown would limit customs and air traffic control but that crises is behind us now that the budget has been approved until Nov 17.

Reactions: Foxbat
There are actually two heating issues. One involves charging and the other illustrates the phone's inability to use its full processing power without overheating.

I expect that the "fix" will involve throttling the phone at several levels.

There are actually two heating issues. One involves charging and the other illustrates the phone's inability to use its full processing power without overheating.

I expect that the "fix" will involve throttling the phone at several levels.
To be fair, Apple isn’t the only smartphone manufacturer that has experienced phones that can run hot. And, “misbehaving” Apps can use significant amounts of energy, which usually translates to heat being generated and making its way to the outside case.

Since the A17Pro is a 3 nm process, I will be curious to see if TSMC and Apple might not have reached a physical limit to where there is leakage between cells or some quantum effects that has been insignificant up until now.

Reactions: navychop
I have watched several of the theoretical reasons and causes of overheating. There are lots of alarmists posting about this.

What I disagree with are claims like:
"It got so hot I couldn't touch it."
"Titanium frame doesn't conduct heat as well as SS so it gets hot. "

The second one is not based on what is actually happening since it has been shown that the Titanium frame is laid over aluminum and both being metal getting hot demonstrates that the metals are conducting heat away from the internal electronics and battery and radiating the heat to the atmosphere.

There was also an IR scan of the phone measuring the maximum temperature over an area where the CPU is located and the peak temperature recorded was 104°F. You can judge if that temperature is alarming.

I also feel that if one were to protect the iphone from impact damage by inserting it in a case, that case actually insulates the phone from radiating the heat generated which would be a worse case for heat damage to internal electronics.

As I stated before, my iphone 11 Pro Max gets warm when charging with any quick charge power source and it has lasted with normal battery degradation.

When I activate my new 15 Pro Max. I will take some thermal measurements as it is activated to see what all the brouhaha is all about.

I think it all depends on what you are doing at the time as to the heat problem. If only when the device is plugged in and charging then that shouldn't be a problem but if the heat is excessive when running a particular app than that is a wasted energy that will cause shorter battery charge time.
BTW- My new Apple Watch Ultra 2 gets warm when charging. From 10% SoC to 100% took 3 hours last evening. This is the first charge I have had to do since activating where I charged it to 100%. After 10 hours of use it is now down to 97%. I have several apps running all the time.

What I disagree with are claims like:
"It got so hot I couldn't touch it."
116F is pretty toasty. Some set their hot water heaters around that level.
"Titanium frame doesn't conduct heat as well as SS so it gets hot. "
This one is false. Titanium is about 53% better than stainless and neither are stellar as metals go. Titanium has about 8-9% the thermal conductivity of aluminum. As your case example illustrates, anything you put outside the aluminum heat sink is going to reduce the effectiveness of the heat sink.
The second one is not based on what is actually happening since it has been shown that the Titanium frame is laid over aluminum and both being metal getting hot demonstrates that the metals are conducting heat away from the internal electronics and battery and radiating the heat to the atmosphere.
That doesn't address the issue that the phone is getting that hot which ultimately reduces its ability to sustain its highest performance capabilities.
As I stated before, my iphone 11 Pro Max gets warm when charging with any quick charge power source and it has lasted with normal battery degradation.
My beef is about how hot the phone got while doing things rather than when fast charging. You can't deflect one by arguing the other is bad or worse. If it can only run at full clock speed for a few seconds, all that raw power must be sacrificed for long-term survival.
When I activate my new 15 Pro Max. I will take some thermal measurements as it is activated to see what all the brouhaha is all about.
By the time you get your phone, Apple will have "addressed the issue" with an OS update. Since Apple doesn't document their benchmark regimen, there won't be any way to test how much performance is lost for the number of joules lost.

If the heat is excessive on the outside of the case, rest assured that it is much warmer on the inside. Apple isn't exactly a stranger to bulging batteries while under high computing loads.

It doesn't matter how many apps you have running if most of them are idling. It is when you're employing all of the power cores and the casework can't conduct the heat away fast enough that there's cause for concern. Throttling addresses that issue but it negatively impacts the stated performance of the device.

Cases just add another blanket.

116F is pretty toasty. Some set their hot water heaters around that level.
The only data I saw was 104°F as measured over the glass area just to the lower right of the cameras. I didn't see any measurements on the frame. I'll do some tests later after the 15 Pro Max arrives.

If Apple acknowledges the problem then maybe the guy with that IR camera was not measuring accurately. I don't have an IR camera but I do have a thermal IR gun that has a target to measure the temperature.

My beef is about how...
You sure do worry extensively about things that don't affect you.

The update to fix the thermal issue in the 15 Pro series will be version 17.1. We're currently at 17.02. Apple said this will reduce the processing on apps RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. Won't affect foreground speed of active app.

iphone 15 PM arrived at 3PM
Software is still at 17.02. The update process went pretty smooth until I got to the scan of the pattern and my finger must have slipped to the "continue" and the process aborted direct iphone to iphone transfer. I had an icloud backup just prior to the transfer so I switched to icloud restore which may be a bit slower. iphone 15 was plugged into charging on a 15w USBC wired charger. The cellular transfer to eSIM was pretty smooth and Verizon login was pretty slick. I also set the screen to remain on.

Here is the highest temperature I recorded on the back of the 15PM 109.4°F after 50 minutes of backing up apps in the background.

The other areas of the back of the iphone were not as hot, I recorded mostly 82°-90° The Titanium frame was recording 87°.

After 75 minutes the temperatures cooled off a bit as the updates were still transferring and the hot spot was now 92°

IMG_5502.jpg

Reactions: Foxbat and Ilya
Apple said this will reduce the processing on apps RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. Won't affect foreground speed of active app.
Apps running in the background are typically going to be running on E-cores (assuming they're actually running and not sitting and waiting) and not consuming much power. If there aren't a lot of resources required, there's not a lot of heat generated no matter how many programs are idle in the background. Only the P-core programs generate significant heat and then only when they're firing on most of the CPU and GPU cores.

Gaming has been cited as one of the power gobblers and typically what has been generating the readings in excess of 100F.

Had a few Snafu's in the restore of the new iphone with existing apps, many 3rd party troubles. One problem was the Apple Watches refused to pair automatically. Plus the name of my new iphone came in as the old one so I needed to fix that. There was a hidden clue I found that said the reason the AW would not pair is because it is already paired to an existing iphone which I have already reset back to factory so that was a challenge to get it unpaired but there was a setting hidden to delete the data of the old iphone from my icloud account. Then I had to reset the Ultra 2 back to factory new and then it paired easily to the new iphone.

Hopefully my trouble will help others who try to pair an AW to the new iphone. Need to completely remove all references to the old iphone and and reset the AW to factory. As long as your Ultra has a backup in the cloud and on the Apple Watch app in the iphone it will reset to those backups after installation.

Sounds complicated? Absolutely, and this part of the process needs better implementation.

Most of the apps recovered but all the BT connections did not show up so each BT device needs to be paired.

The Apple Wallet does not update either so that has to be redone and if using 2FA makes it double complicated.

Got the Ultra2 working but I may just cancel the old AW 6 and factory reset it. I'm very comfortable with the Ultra 2. Plus I'm paying Verizon $15 a month for the additional AW.

After spending a lot of time on the phone and in chat sessions with AT&T I was finally able to re-order the phone (and requalify my trade in). Now expecting it next week!

I didn’t expect the phone to be shipped until next week, but they shipped it yesterday and UPS is saying to expect it today! What a pleasant surprise! :D

I did change the color selection to “Blue Titanium” as that was the soonest available option.

Stopped in at Best Buy to look as PS5 for Birthday gift for Grandson. I saw they had base 15Pro Max in stock and on display. Didn't ask about higher storage.

I shipped my 11 Pro Max yesterday to secure the credit. The shipping carton arrived by UPS a week ago and the return label was by Fed EX.
I also cancelled my AW6 from the Verizon account to save $15 a month. I had to speak to a Verizon agent and the excuse I gave was I erased the watch and plan to give it away.

So Ilya, if you have an Apple watch you may want to unpair and reset it back to factory before transferring your existing iphone to the 15. The you can pair it like a new watch. Don't make the same mistake I did with two Apple watches paired to my old 11 Pro Max and then try to have them paired to two iphones. I found my problem in an FAQ: You can have two or more watches paired to a single iphone but you can't have one Apple watch paired to more than one iphone. So when I completed the 15PM transfer and activated it screwed up the new Ultra 2 as it was confused with being paired to two iphones. Many things just froze up on the watch. Even erasing the old 11 Pro Max didn't fix it. There is a way to override the messed up Ultra with holding in the side button for 30 seconds and then selecting erase and reset to factory.

Reactions: Foxbat and Ilya
Since my iPhone is always with me, and AW health features fall short for me, I see no reason to even HAVE an Apple Watch.

Reactions: Ilya
So Ilya, if you have an Apple watch you may want to unpair and reset it back to factory before transferring your existing iphone to the 15.
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that it is ok to transfer the settings from the old phone to the new one before unpairing the Watch, I just shouldn’t pair it to the new phone before unpairing it from the old one, right?

I am looking at the Apple’s instructions here: