AT9 installation nightmare !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
I had a AT9 installed a few weeks ago along with a Directv supplied OTA antenna. The OTA antenna wasn't getting all the networks, so Directv gave me a credit to buy a new correct antenna. When i was installing the new antenna I noticed that my new AT9 dish's LNB's are connected to the arm that holds them with tie-wraps ??? It looks like the arm connects to the LNB's, thru some sort of bracket. Well the bracket looks bent so they just used tie wraps. This isn't noticeable from the ground since my dish is mounted on a pole about 14'. I called Directv and told them of this unacceptable installation and they are supposed to have the area manager for the local installer ( Mastec ) straighten this out. I told Directv since i recommited for 2 years that i want it installed right, as this "setup" obviously wont last...:eureka

Attachments

• sat lnb 001.jpg
    sat lnb 001.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 295
  • sat lnb 002.jpg
    sat lnb 002.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 290
  • sat lnb 003.jpg
    sat lnb 003.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 291
  • sat lnb 004.jpg
    sat lnb 004.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 363
  • sat lnb 005.jpg
    sat lnb 005.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
johnml said:
I had a AT9 installed a few weeks ago along with a Directv supplied OTA antenna. The OTA antenna wasn't getting all the networks, so Directv gave me a credit to buy a new correct antenna. When i was installing the new antenna I noticed that my new AT9 dish's LNB's are connected to the arm that holds them with tie-wraps ??? It looks like the arm connects to the LNB's, thru some sort of bracket. Well the bracket looks bent so they just used tie wraps. This isn't noticeable from the ground since my dish is mounted on a pole about 14'. I called Directv and told them of this unacceptable installation and they are supposed to have the area manager for the local installer ( Mastec ) straighten this out. I told Directv since i recommited for 2 years that i want it installed right, as this "setup" obviously wont last...:eureka

How did you get them to put it on a pole? None of my installers would even consider it. Could you please post a picture of the pole mount? It would help me a great deal.

igator99 said:
How did you get them to put it on a pole? None of my installers would even consider it. Could you please post a picture of the pole mount? It would help me a great deal.

They didn't want to install it on the pole. He had to call his office for approval. they cant install it on the fascia board like they install the old ones. Good luck - the pole mount is the way to go. I found a 14' galvanised pole at a sprinkler supply store.

Attachments

• satellite pole 001.jpg
    satellite pole 001.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 309
  • satellite pole 002.jpg
    satellite pole 002.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 224
charper1 said:
How about photos of the "damage".

You can pretty much see it in the third picture. Even without a pic of the "damage" this isnt a standard install practice is it ? I give the tie-wraps about 6-8 months in the hot south florida sun. Giving how sensitive these dishes are to point, its a wonder im getting a signal at all now. I remember tightening my old 3LNB dish, id have it locked on with a 98% and when i tightened the bolts it would move enough where i would loose the signal.

Last edited:
It looks like the installer used tie wraps because the support tube for the lnb is bent
where the screws are supposed to be. Amazing! How could someone do that? I doubt it will hold up properly that way.

That is one ghetto install if I may say so. There should be bolts holding that bracket for that LNB into the main arm and LNB. Crazy, call them back and ask where the heck the bolts are.

cforrest said:
That is one ghetto install if I may say so. There should be bolts holding that bracket for that LNB into the main arm and LNB. Crazy, call them back and ask where the heck the bolts are.

The installers were from the Miami area :cool: I thought going with the pole mount i'd be set. Good thing i had to install a new antenna, otherwise i wouldnt have cought this "blunder":confused:

raoul5788 said:
It looks like the installer used tie wraps because the support tube for the lnb is bent
where the screws are supposed to be. Amazing! How could someone do that? I doubt it will hold up properly that way.

Supposedly Directv is going to send out the district manager to look at it and send the email to corporate offices too ! either way I want it taken care of - the right way.

johnml said:
They didn't want to install it on the pole. He had to call his office for approval. they cant install it on the fascia board like they install the old ones. Good luck - the pole mount is the way to go. I found a 14' galvanised pole at a sprinkler supply store.

That is shorter than my current pole but I bet if I move it eight yards back I could do something similar. I can't believe they used ties to hookup the lnbs! Thanks a bunch and hope they get cleared up right away.

What a shade tree install. I would be VERY upset. Top tier customers deserve better. If you have an AT-9 you are a HD customer so a top paying customer. We are the ones that should be given the 'white glove' treatment.

it's not ben the the newer LNB arm the Cali amp, all he did was forget the LNB screws. All the have to do is install the LNB screws. The older Cali Amp 110/119 LNb bracket was weak and a newer design is out.If the LNB arm was actually bent the dish wouldn't line up correctly trust me on that.

grydlok said:
it's not ben the the newer LNB arm the Cali amp, all he did was forget the LNB screws. All the have to do is install the LNB screws. The older Cali Amp 110/119 LNb bracket was weak and a newer design is out.If the LNB arm was actually bent the dish wouldn't line up correctly trust me on that.

Part of it is bent - you can see it in the third picture ( the arm itself isn't bent, just the end where the LNB's attach ). When this installer got here i saw he had two AT9's laid out on my driveway, so it's kinda strange he wouldn't have the necessary parts needed to install correctly. Even then this is unacceptable and should have not been left like this. You say all he did was forget the screw like its no big deal. Anybody can see that this is a Sh*t job. I recommited to two years and obviously this "setup" wont last that long, if I didn't catch this I would have to pay not if, but when i do lose the signal. Directv is paying these installers. Mastec is a giant company and i expect them to do it right. Would you accept this ?? I don't think so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts