Audio dropouts from 622 DVR SPDIF.

Julien

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Atlanta
Just got my 622 today and having audio problems. I use optical SPDIF and have no problems when watching "live". Using the DVR the audio will drop out about every 15 seconds to 2 minutes for about 5 seconds. It is not a recorded dropout because I can replay and the audio will play fine for that spot. During the dropouts the 622 continues to send a (blank) DD signal but with no sound. It looks like I'm not getting off to a good start with E*. What are my options?

I use optical SPDIF with my 622 to Bose system and have not had that problem. I am experiencing the rear channels only problem that is currently in work at E*.

Both of my 622s do that with both of my Onkyo receivers. It does not happen on "Dolby D" or "PLII Movie" mode...only on regular two channel audio. If I turn my Onkyo receiver off and then back on again, it clears it up.

Is that a constant problem on all channels, or does it come and go? You could try resetting the 622. First, push and hold the power for a few seconds until the unit reboots. If the problem persists, try unplugging the 622, then plugging back in.
It seems like a lot of DVRs have audio related problems of varying severity. Almost always, it comes down to software issues, and often a reset takes care of things.

Good luck!

Is that a constant problem on all channels, or does it come and go? You could try resetting the 622. First, push and hold the power for a few seconds until the unit reboots. If the problem persists, try unplugging the 622, then plugging back in.
It seems like a lot of DVRs have audio related problems of varying severity. Almost always, it comes down to software issues, and often a reset takes care of things.

Good luck!
At first it seemed it was only on DVR (I was mostly watching DVR) but it happens on live also. I only tried HD/DD channels (all I care about) so not sure about LPCM. I unplugged the unit for over 2 hours and the problem reoccurred immediately. It never plays more that a couple of minutes without a dropout.

Called customer service and when I finely got to tech support was asked what my problem was. I said "audio dropouts" and confused the support agent. Was to be transferred but got cut off. Re-called and got a deferent person but got the same "what does audio dropout mean" response. Said E* will send me out a new receiver 2ed day air. So I'm off to a poor start and it looks like it will be at least Tuesday before I get to veiw Dish.

At least my MI HD-DVD set came in the mail yesterday so I was able to watch MI3 last night.

Last edited:
Discovered that the SPDIF audio dropouts are related to the HDMI output. I have the HDMI connected to a iScan VP50 scaler and when I select the 622 to display I get SPDIF audio dropouts. As long as the 622's HDMI is not selected I don't get dropouts through SPDIF. Will next try the component outputs and see if I get the dropouts. I hope there is not a problem that is inherent in the 622 about using HDMI video with SPDIF audio. How many others use this combo without problems?

Help with some 622 questions

System Reset

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)