Audio Hiss from 522

Deranged

Original poster
Apr 4, 2005
I don't know if anyone can help or if this is even the right place to post this.

I tried running the RCA jacks out of the 522 to a audio/video matrix switch
the AVS8X8 from HACS com

but when I do I get a extremly noticeable hiss on the output.

The 522 is the only device that has this problem.
My 721 and even my old 4700 does not have this problem, and none of my other amps, dvd/cd players or tv's have this problem.

It only happens on the 522.
Any audio gurus out here have any tips or answers. I even tried passing the audio/video through a a/v amp/splitter with no luck.

Thanks
Steven

Sounds like it is a defective 522. Just in case.. try a different output like digital out. Or another amp to prove that it is in fact your 522. Mine is dead quiet.. so if it's your 522 call up dish for an RMA and exchange!

Do you hear the same hisss if you connect the 522's A/V out directly to a tv's A/V in -- no switch between the two? If you do, I agree with Slyster.

If you haven't tried this, connect your switch to the 522's other A/V out. (I'm guessing you probably have the switch connected to tuner #2; try your setup using tuner #1.)

If I connect it directly to the TV or any other amp/tv there is no Hiss.

The hiss only appears when connected to the AVS8X8 Audio/video switch.

And again, the other 7 devices connected to the AVS8X8 does not produce any hiss. Just the 522, ugh................

Anyway I think I resolved it by putting a .0047uf cap on the the audio outputs of the 522. The removes the hiss and as far as I can tell so far does not affect the audio.

But I would still like a better solution/answer... :)

StevenE

Putting a .0047uf cap probably clips your highs at around 18khz and really doesn't fix the problem. I would notice it and wouldn't like it. I would try changing the cables or the location of the 522. If that didn't solve the issue I would do what Slyster recommended, replace the 522.

I have moved the 522, purchased much better cables, and several other suggestions I have found on the internet.

I got the capacitance down to .003uf, but after that the hiss was very evident. I have a friend who has a 522, he brought his over and the same hiss appears when connected to this avs switch. There must be something on the audio output of the 522. The hiss appears even booting up with any satellite connections.

Strange, I am almost tempted to upgrade to a 625 or something else.
Wish I had a scope......

StevenE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)