best antenna for dish

zip1

Jul 6, 2014
Hi im new to here and am in the middle of buying a vip922 reciever and was wonderingif any of you had any thoughts on witch antenna i should get for dish i only watch tv in english thanks

I would NOT buy a 922 if I were you. Get a Hopper, you won't regret it. As for an antenna (dish), it depends on which satellites you want to point at, are you in a Eastern Arc or Western Arc market?

I also recommend giving second thoughts to buying a ViP922.

- It is not placed by Dish in new installs. They will only replace a broken ViP922 with another ViP922, assuming they can't talk you into upgrading to a Hopper. This does not seem to indicate full support.

- It has a bad reputation. Maybe the problems are fixed. Maybe not.

- It may be withdrawn from service like happened to the 811, 921 and 942. Installed base is small.

- Since there are so few out there, they are unlikely to introduce new features to it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Where in Ontario? Eastern or western. If eastern, you are most probably on the earc. I'm in upstate NY about 100 miles east of Niagara. I'm on the earc.

922 is a failed experiment to improve 722, which luckilly spawned Hopper family.
When it comes to antenna, it depends on your location and its limitations when it comes to line of sight. General rule says bigger reflector means more signal gain which leads to lower susceptibility to weather related signal fails. Get a smartphone app such as Dish Pointer and check which way you have no obstructions accounting for possible tree growth. Remember to have at least 5 degree clearance on each side of required satellite locations. For W side you'll need 110, 119 and 129. On E side 61.5 , 72.7 and 77, though the last one is not necessary. Assuming you have clear LOS I would go with DPP 1000 + for W Arc, or 1000.4 EA.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Also, you can built 1000.4 EA using 1000+ skew and reflector and 1k4 arm, bracket and lnbf, which leads to even better signal gain then regular 1000.4 reflector has.

I would go with a Hopper on the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7) and search eBay for a 1000.4 and as Hopper, most places on there should ship to Canada.

Living in Ontario I strongly recommend the 922 you must have plenty of money to spend.
What do you mean by that? Also, why would you want to recommend something to someone that they are probably bound to have trouble with?

Reactions: Enraged newb
I didn't think you could get Dish in Canada? And yes I agree go with a Hopper instead of a 922.
You can receive Dish in Canada, Dish will not sell to you if they know you are in Canada, so you use an American friend or relative's address.

922 is a failed experiment to improve 722, which luckilly spawned Hopper family.
When it comes to antenna, it depends on your location and its limitations when it comes to line of sight. General rule says bigger reflector means more signal gain which leads to lower susceptibility to weather related signal fails. Get a smartphone app such as Dish Pointer and check which way you have no obstructions accounting for possible tree growth. Remember to have at least 5 degree clearance on each side of required satellite locations. For W side you'll need 110, 119 and 129. On E side 61.5 , 72.7 and 77, though the last one is not necessary. Assuming you have clear LOS I would go with DPP 1000 + for W Arc, or 1000.4 EA.

Thanks

Liked this one.
I agree 100% Don't tell someone to buy it when it is just a complete money pit....

On that same note, I wouldn't recommend telling someone to do something very blatantly against dish network policy. Dish does not service canada, and has stated multiple times, only works in the US and US territories. You can do as you wish, but if discovered, is possible to face fines.

On that same note, I wouldn't recommend telling someone to do something very blatantly against dish network policy. Dish does not service canada, and has stated multiple times, only works in the US and US territories. You can do as you wish, but if discovered, is possible to face fines.
What capacity do you hold within the CRTC, or are you a Mountie stationed on this side of the border? Or are you just the self proclaimed Dish TOS police?He is not breaking an American Federal law, and is in a "grey" situation in Canada. His getting American TV in Canada is not bothering you one bit, so give the guy a break.
The worst thing that happens, a Dish finds out and terminates service, until then, they will gladly take his converted American dollars.

I didn't say that I was offended or any of that. I was stating that it is a possibility for a large fine if caught, potential law suit by dish(unlikely) and that it is against the dish network policy. I also stated he is free to do as he desires, and that's cool if he does. I just don't take part in directly violating the contracts dish has in place. If you guys want to help that's cool, but it is a gray area for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts