Best Sound quality: HDMI or Optic cable

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have my an HDMI run from my 722K receiver to my Denon receiver, and another HDMI from the Denon to my TV. Would I get better sound on my 5.1 surround system if I run optical from the 722 to the Denon? I noticed when I run optical the Denon shows Dolby Digital on the front. But when I run HDMI only the Denon says "multi channel in". Is one method preferred over the other?

With optical/coaxial digital audio, you will receive only the core channels of Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. With HDMI you can receive the lossless multichannel codecs - Dolby TRUEHD and DTS MasterAudio with up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio. HDMI is definitely a step up from optical/coaxial audio. However, for the present, if all you are running to your receiver is your 722, it won't matter, as DISH and Directv only broadcast in DD 5.1, and, on some channels, DD 2.0. But, you're still better off with HDMI. :D

Last edited:
I noticed when I run optical the Denon shows Dolby Digital on the front. But when I run HDMI only the Denon says "multi channel in".
HDMI by spec can carry decoded audio (LPCM) just as it does encoded (DD, DTS in all its flavors).
What you noticed means the audio has been decoded in the 722 and is being sent to the Denon as LPCM.
With optical you leave the decoding job to the Denon.

The possible difference in audio quality would depend on the HDMI cable and who does a better decoding job...

Diogen.

Any way of knowing which would do the better job? It's a Denon 1909 and a 722k.
In theory I'd expect the Denon to do a better job.
As a rule of thumb, I prefer to keep both video and audio in the digital domain right until the end, i.e. receiver in your case.

But by the time the DD stream arrives at your place it is most likely mangled enough to not make a difference in practice...

Diogen.

Remember, not all channels on Dish are 5.1. Mostly HD locals, premiums, and PPVs. Not even all of the HD channels are 5.1. Even then, not all programming on those channels is 5.1. Dish sends 2 channel audio as PCM. It is then up to the user to set the receiver to apply Pro Logic II to simulate 5.1. 5.1 is automatically detected as DD 5.1 by receivers (unless you've made changes within the receiver). (Hence the DD/PCM setting in the setup menu).

S~

If you cycle thru the sounds fields on a station you know gets DD. Will it show up on the HDMI? On my receiver its an different brand. It has selectable default sound fields when certain hook ups are used or called a pone. Just thought it was worth a look.

With optical/coaxial digital audio, you will receive only the core channels of Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. With HDMI you can receive the lossless multichannel codecs - Dolby TRUEHD and DTS MasterAudio with up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio. HDMI is definitely a step up from optical/coaxial audio. However, for the present, if all you are running to your receiver is your 722, it won't matter, as DISH and Directv only broadcast in DD 5.1, and, on some channels, DD 2.0. But, you're still better off with HDMI. :D

The 722k only does core channels. Essentially you should get the same result using optical or HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts