Big Ten to Expand?

Reviving this, as the timeline appears to have moved up massively. We may hear about new schools as soon as next week (!)

This expansion is strictly driven by television. Specifically, this expansion is not driven by getting more money from ESPN/ABC or Fox or CBS. This is driven to receive more money from multichannel distributors for the Big Ten Network.

I can't even get into a "likely" scenario. I'd believe the brass at the Big Ten would like to get schools within states that are somewhat populous, so that they can renegotiate with the multichannel distributors to increase the fees within those uncovered states from 10 cents to 70 cents per subscriber.

With that put forward, here is my belief:

1) NOtre Dame. I don't think they can say no for much longer, or they will become irrelevant. The Big Ten found a way to make more money for each member than what the Domers can get for their footall contract from NBC.

2) Syracuse. They can start charging the State of New York residents a LOT of money.

I'd say nothing else matters, but these are my gut feelings:

3 and 4) Maryland and Boston College. That fell swoop would give the B10 the ability to charge buckets among two of the top ten television markets and probably another four of the top 40 markets. I know it is almost sacreligious, but it does make monetary sense.

5) Rutgers. All of New Jersey.

If Notre Dame does not accept, West Virginia.

My belief is the expansion must bring new states and markets to the table, except of course for Notre Dame.

I don't see how Syracuse is part of the discussion. I'd imagine the Big 10 would want them to join both for Football AND Basketball and accept nothing less. Is the 'Cuse really prepared to leave the Big East in Basketball?

I don't see how Syracuse is part of the discussion. I'd imagine the Big 10 would want them to join both for Football AND Basketball and accept nothing less. Is the 'Cuse really prepared to leave the Big East in Basketball?

I see both sides here. They're an ancient rival of many in the conference (especially Penn St), but add very little in terms of TV sets.

IMO, Notre Dame and Syracuse will be the two teams joining the Big Ten. Personally, I would like to see Pittsburgh (more regional) be the third team jumping-on-board, but I get the feeling it will be someone bringing in large out-of-region markets like Maryland, Rutgers or even BC (BC would be my guess).

IMO, Notre Dame and Syracuse will be the two teams joining the Big Ten. Personally, I would like to see Pittsburgh (more regional) be the third team jumping-on-board, but I get the feeling it will be someone bringing in large out-of-region markets like Maryland, Rutgers or even BC (BC would be my guess).

I doubt that ND will jump, unless they start to feel that they will be left behind.

My guess would be Missouri, to make it the Big 12 (north ?), others, maybe Pitt, but Penn State DOESN'T want that, for some reason.

Pitt would make sense.
Texas is NOT coming.
Rutgers doesn't bring anything to the Big 10, they were a good football team for 2 years out of the last 30 ....
I don't see Syracuse coming either, what would the be bringing, they would want to stay in the EAST for basketball and that would be a deal breaker.

It would not surprise me to see the Big 10 add 5 teams to make a 16 team conference. Of all the teams you have listed the only one I would hate to see added would be Rutgers.

I have a feeling that they will try to add a couple of BIG name schools and then the rest will just be fillers. I would not be surprised if ND was not one that would be coming aboard.

I doubt that ND will jump, unless they start to feel that they will be left behind.
Perhaps, but the ND football program can make just as much, if not more, money being part of the Big Ten. Plus, their Big Ten association will improve basketball revenue and others sports will make enough money to stop bleeding the football program dry. Another aspect nobody mentioned is that bringing ND and BC into the fold will give the Big Ten enough hockey teams to pullout of the CCHA and WCHA, and move them into the Big Ten conference.

Currently there are only five (5) Big Ten teams fielding hockey teams. Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State are currently in the CCHA while Wisconsin and Minnesota are in the WCHA. Additionally, ND is in the CCHA and BC is a member of Hockey East. Regardless, I think you'll see an 8th...9th...or 10th hockey program stood-up should ND and BC join the Big Ten. I know what you're all thinking...the hockey crowd is much smaller than football or basketball. While this statement may be true, the NCAA Frozen Four championship game just filled a record 37K+ seats (won by BC) at Ford Field in Detroit and this kind of attendance could be generated each and every year with a Big Ten hockey conference. Plus, money is money...and I doubt Big Ten members would walk-away from a deal that would put money into their coffers.

My guess would be Missouri, to make it the Big 12 (north ?), others, maybe Pitt, but Penn State DOESN'T want that, for some reason.
I don't see Missouri ever joining the Big Ten and Pittsburgh does little to add to their television market and, as you mentioned, Penn State doesn't want that.

Pitt would make sense.
Texas is NOT coming.
Rutgers doesn't bring anything to the Big 10, they were a good football team for 2 years out of the last 30 ....
I don't see Syracuse coming either, what would the be bringing, they would want to stay in the EAST for basketball and that would be a deal breaker.

I agree...Texas is not coming but Rutgers makes some sense for the increased television markets. If money is the prime motivator then Syracuse will jump ship and come over the Big Ten where they can earn more in both football and basketball revenue.

Just my two cents...

ND is either throwing up a massive smokescreen, or they're not going to a conference. Adjust your prognostications as such :)

maybe Pitt, but Penn State DOESN'T want that, for some reason.

Because Paterno is a ass. He is STILL mad because Pitt wouldn't join his all east division before he went to the Big 10.

That is why he wont play Pitt unless it's two at Penn State and one at Pitt or just one at Penn State all the time.

I hope Pitt goes to the big 10 that way he has to play Pitt every year.

UConn seems to be in play, at least in a few of the scenarios I've heard. Given we have so many B10 haters/fanbois around here, what do you guys think?

Best scenario for me would be a move to 16, inviting Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, UConn, and BC. "B10 East" consists of the above 5 + Penn St, Ohio St and Indiana.
Arn't you the one who gives the ACC people grief about cherry picking teams from the Big East? And now your advocating the Big 10 do the same?

Reminds me of how Va Tech protested the ACC raid, until the ACC invited them along. ;)

Arn't you the one who gives the ACC people grief about cherry picking teams from the Big East? And now your advocating the Big 10 do the same?

Reminds me of how Va Tech protested the ACC raid, until the ACC invited them along. ;)

No, I give BC people grief about openly stating they were behind the post-raid BE when Cuse was due to go, then organizing a back-door deal to leave. Backstabber College, indeed.

The ACC I merely give grief because they suck. ;)

This process is very different. IF the B10 invites a Big East team, it will be with a substantial exit fee, and a contracted delay. It will be entirely public.

Attachments

• bclogo3nrqw3.gif
    bclogo3nrqw3.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 102
The ACC I merely give grief because they suck. ;)

This process is very different. IF the B10 invites a Big East team, it will be with a substantial exit fee, and a contracted delay. It will be entirely public.
How would you feel about this idea last summer from Desmond Conner of The Courant?? :D

Four years ago, on the heels of the ACC's raid of the Big East and its additions, all 16 schools agreed to a five-year contract to stay together. That's become public information. It wasn't supposed to public information. The Big East won't confirm whether it's true or not but it is true.

After the 2009-10 academic year, if they wanted, the Big East's football-playing schools could split with, I believe, no penalty.

The Big East football conference coaches, for the most part, are in favor of expanding for a team that adds value, an athletic, academic and financially successful future. But they, along with league officials say that "team" isn't out there.

So does that mean the Big East sits and does nothing and stays the way it is?

It shouldn't. It can't. Here's an idea for the presidents of the eight Big East schools, ACC commissioner John Swofford and his schools' presidents:

Why don't the eight-football playing schools get up and go link with the ACC 12 to form a 20-team all-sports league, a super-conference, you know, the wave of the future, and just control the entire East Coast's TV markets, rule the world in basketball with crazy competition and paydays in football and basketball?

UConn Huskies Football News Blog - Desmond Conner - Hartford Courant

I remember that article. It sounded crazy. If the B10 goes to 16, it's essentially the same thing.

I have a feeling we may all be rooting for 16 team behemoths in the near future.

"They haven't been in the mix for awhile,'' said the source. who did say that Big Ten expansion of three or five teams was very possible.

According to the source, Notre Dame is fairly confident that it can remain as a full independent in football and remain connected to the Big East--even a smaller all Catholic version of the Big East--which would protect not only basketball, but all of its other non-revenue producing sports.

Report: Irish not in the expansion mix

I know the ND will eventually end up in a conference but I would prefer that it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

"They haven't been in the mix for awhile,'' said the source. who did say that Big Ten expansion of three or five teams was very possible.

According to the source, Notre Dame is fairly confident that it can remain as a full independent in football and remain connected to the Big East--even a smaller all Catholic version of the Big East--which would protect not only basketball, but all of its other non-revenue producing sports.

Report: Irish not in the expansion mix

I know the ND will eventually end up in a conference but I would prefer that it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

I doubt that the Big ten would allow for schools to have split alliances.

I doubt that the Big ten would allow for schools to have split alliances.

I fully agree with you there. I have no idea where the writer got that from but there would be no reason they should even try to stay in the Big East for basketball. It kind of weakens his statement that ND is out of the mix.

Notre Dame would not be in a bad place in a "Catholic League" that would likely need to add Xavier, maybe St Joe's, and one or 2 others. An excellent basketball conference, and something ND can likely dominate in most other sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)