Black & White; Receiver Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BKP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Vacationland, USA
My Dad's picture keeps turning black and white for a few seconds at a time.. I'd say, maybe 20 times an hour or more..

Is there a fix for this..

It's an old RCA DRD420RE, I believe, he's had it since the change over from Primestar..

If it's time for a new receiver, how do you go about changing receivers..

Thanks, Brent

Is he using an "S" video connection that would usually indicate a loose fitting or bad cable. If he isn't it is probably a receiver problem, call D* 800-531-5000 for an upgrade probably $50 or less.

I have a HR10 thats doing the exact same thing. Directv told me its a known receiver problem. They are going to replace it (I have the protection plan) and told me I dont have to return it and just to throw it away. It's only 8 months old too ???

Yeah, s-video was my initial thought as well. I've seen sets where one of the s-video color prongs was bent inward so only luminance was available and gave the set a b&w picture. Easiest service call ever :)

I have a HR10 thats doing the exact same thing. Directv told me its a known receiver problem. They are going to replace it (I have the protection plan) and told me I dont have to return it and just to throw it away. It's only 8 months old too ???

With an HR10 I'd hold onto it until you see if you get hit with a non-returned equipment fee before you do anything with it.

With an HR10 I'd hold onto it until you see if you get hit with a non-returned equipment fee before you do anything with it.

Yeah, I thought the same, So I called to confirn and they told me again theres no need to return it.. just throw it in the garbage. Weird, cause six months ago they were $299..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv in my apt

HD Locals - Problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)