C Band Dish Installation Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hate to sound stupid, but i wouldn't even know how to use it.:(

On that meter from Sears, set it to 20 VDC.

To test receiver voltage:
  • Turn off the power to your receiver, disconnect the lnb coax lead, turn receiver back on (allowing it to fully boot).
  • Test for proper voltage at the receiver by touching one lead from the meter to the center conductor and the other to the outer part with the threads, making sure not to short out the two leads while testing (you may need to insert a pin or needle into the center whole to make proper contact). Depending on the polarity of the channel you should see about 13 or 18 VDC on the meter display.
  • If no voltage or wrong voltage, suspect receiver
  • If voltage checks out at your receiver then it is sending the proper voltage, move to next step
To test coax from receiver to lnb:
  • Turn off receiver, reconnect lnb coax to receiver.
  • At dish, disconnect coax from lnb, then turn receiver back on.
  • Repeat previous test at dish, one lead to center conductor and one to outer threaded connector.
  • You should see the voltage you saw when testing receiver.
  • If not coax is bad or has a bad connector.
  • If you see proper voltage then lnb is likely bad.
P.S. Don't skip any steps as it is important not to connect/disconnect coax while system is powered.

FTA4PA,

Thanks for all that info. I will put it to work when I get the meter hopefully, today. In the meantime I think my dish set up is done for the day.
I was hoping to be up and running.

John

Reactions: fred555
I don't have a microHD hooked up right now, but somewhere in there is a menu option for LNB power on or off.
(At least I thought this receiver had it, most do) :confused:

kE4EST,

Don't know of that menu option in the miniHD. If anyone does, please give me a shout out.

Thanks,

John

FTA4PA,

:bow I bow to your intellect !!!
That was the problem. When I had it slaved to my 4DTV the LNB setting was turned off, since the 920 did all that work.
Been using the slaved set up so long, I totally forgot that menu setting existed on the microHD.
The menu is now showing the LNB signal level at 45%...totally normal.
Thanks so much for solving this annoying issue.

John

FTA4PA,

:bow I bow to your intellect !!!
That was the problem. When I had it slaved to my 4DTV the LNB setting was turned off, since the 920 did all that work.
Been using the slaved set up so long, I totally forgot that menu setting existed on the microHD.
The menu is now showing the LNB signal level at 45%...totally normal.
Thanks so much for solving this annoying issue.

John
Give the credit to KE4EST, I only found where the setting was hiding. Glad you got it working. Time to enjoy some TV! :)

Glad to hear you got it going!! :)

Reactions: JFOK
Harbor Freight has coupons for FREE digital meters all the time. If you are going to purchase something there anyway, take one of those with you and get the free meter. I got one last year, and it's quite useful. Works as well as my older $150 digital meter.

Harbor Freight has coupons for FREE digital meters all the time. If you are going to purchase something there anyway, take one of those with you and get the free meter. I got one last year, and it's quite useful. Works as well as my older $150 digital meter.
Thanks primestar31 that's good to know. I have a Harbor Freight in my area.

Hi All,

In my "never-ending quest" to get this dish up and running, I have a few questions to ask as I wait for the PB blaster to loosen the declination bolts. As I've said countless times, its been 16 years since I set up a BUD, which is a testament as to how trouble free it was in all that time.
With my latitude at 41.6652°, could I round that off to 42 or keep it at 41 ? The declination from a table I found, would be either 5.57 at 41 or 5.85 at 42. To get the proper declination angle, I would set the inclinometer on a flat part of the underside of the dish to get the total declination angle, which in my case would be either 46.57 at 41 or 47.85 at 42...correct ?
Also, for the feedhorn probe, 12 or 6 o'clock is vertical and 9 or 3 o'clock is horizontal...correct ?
I will probably have more questions as the day progresses and i appreciate in advance, all your help.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.