C-band With a 1.2m Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rogerduncan100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto
I hope this question has not already been answered hundreds of times.

Please tell me what C-band signals can be received using a 1.2m dish. I am in Toronto which is pretty good as far as footprints are concerned.

I am considering getting a 1.2 m dish with a dual C-band/K-band LNB.

Thanks for reading.

Well by no means should you put mcuh stock in my experience. Having said that, I was disappointed with my 4 ft dish project. I only recieved STO on 121W, I got other transponders but signal strength was weak but youmay have better results. I will play around with it more come spring...haven't given up entirely yet but returned to using the 4' as a KU band dish at this point. IF you have room, budget, etc., I would consider a 6' dish instead.

Hey,

Im on the other side of the province in Thunder Bay... I had my 1.2m dish up and got a fair amount of stuff... I had some stuff on 91W,99W, 107W ... I have a limited line of sight so thats all i could really get.. but it was fun. I was useing a Andrews Type 120 dish and a WSI c-band lnb.. i cant remember the model. Have fun!

I have a 1.2M setup with the Cband lnb offset of the centerline. Like the rest I have 'fair' results. I can get several channels on 91W and 99W on the stronger transponders. A few others come and go with the weather. Putting up a real big dish this spring. I you have a 1.2M dish anyway then spring for a lnb and scalar and play around. However I wouldn't buy a 1.2M dish just for this project as your throwing away your money.

I hope this question has not already been answered hundreds of times.

Please tell me what C-band signals can be received using a 1.2m dish. I am in Toronto which is pretty good as far as footprints are concerned.

I am considering getting a 1.2 m dish with a dual C-band/K-band LNB.

Thanks for reading.

Yep, many times,

search minibud.

Your results will be a product of your ability, to some degree.

Your better off getting a WSI PF 6' dish and a DMX741 lnbf.

Having installed several customers with a 1.2M c-band dish in the Toronto area for C & KU band, I can tell you that it is possible to receive one or more transponders off the following C-Band satellites:

40.5W (with dielectric plate)
55W
58W
87W
91W
99W
101W
107.3W
118W
121W
125W
131W

One thing to keep in mind is that alignment of such a dish as to be PERFECT as there is NO room for error with such a small dish. Even with an experienced installer such as myself, it can take a few hours to align such a system. Also you need to use a receiver that has a good tuner as some of these transponders can be as low as 20% quality max

Thanks, everybody for your replies! I suppose I have to ask myself if it is worth it.

pwsrurge, can you give me a rough estimate of what percentage of available C-band channels you can pull in?

Probably rate it as one of the cheapest, flimsy, paper thin dishes around. How bad is it? It's so bad that the paint doesn't even stick around :eek:.... LOL!!!

But seriously..... You will be much happier if you purchase or scrounge something else!

I'm looking at a Fortec 1.2 m dish. How are they?

I won't comment on the Fortec 1.2 M as I have no personal experience with it. However, my brother the "Walrus1957" and I both use the GeoSatPro 1.2 M dish for Ku band.

Walrus has played with his GeoSatPro 1.2 M as a C-Band mini bud and has found fairly good results when parked at a single satellite, 91.0°W in particular. It does not function as well when motorized as the dish was not designed for the intention of receiving C-Band signals. It therefore requires scrutinizing adjustments to its tracking when motorized to simply maintain the necessary signal quality required for the receiver to lock. It is extremely important to have the dish and motor set up and aligned to absolute perfection for Ku-Band satellite tracking before even attempting to acquire any C-Band signals with it. The whole of the project was simply for the amusement of the hobby. This is not a recommended project for someone who desires to watch TV from C-Band satellites as a main source of signal. We consider it a sidebar novelty for our Ku-Band viewing. The GeoSatPro 1.2 M dish functions excellently for Ku-Band signals, but can be adapted for minimal C-Band use if you desire to experiment.

The main point is, do not plan on achieving fantastic results. You will only obtain a few tokens for your hard work, time and expense.

RADAR

I'm looking at a Fortec 1.2 m dish. How are they?

Been using this dish for years now as a mini-bud. No issues after tweaking at install (and a few LNB arm mods). Only used fortec dishes on a motor so can't comment on others. Do have a channelmaster 75E that is probably the strongest dish I have and if I could find a 1.2m locally (and Cheap), i would replace my fortec :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts