Can A Dish Remote Control a Stereo?

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Southwest Michigan
Quick question guys...

Just picked up a new LG plasma yesterday and have it hooked to my Onkyo TR-SR304 via optical. The TV will not let me control the volume of the optical connection. So can my Dish remote control the stereo volume?

Mine controls my Onkyo TX-SR606. Took a few tries to get the right code though. (And no, I don't remember what it was.)

For instructions on how to set it up so you don't have to switch devices on your remote just to adjust the volume, consult your manual. I think you set it up under the AUX device, and it persists when you're in SAT mode.

You know you should have the Dish receiver connected to the Onkyo via optical rather than the TV, because most TVs downmix everything except their ATSC/QAM tuners to 2.0 before sending it out the optical jack, right? (If your TV doesn't, then nevermind. But an awful lot of people don't know this, and eventually end up wondering why they're only getting ProLogic II sound rather than the original 5.1.)

You must press and hold the aux buttone first until they all light up then press 2 then the code from the back of your receiver manual then hold the # button for it to store.

Mine controls my Onkyo TX-SR606. Took a few tries to get the right code though. (And no, I don't remember what it was.)

For instructions on how to set it up so you don't have to switch devices on your remote just to adjust the volume, consult your manual. I think you set it up under the AUX device, and it persists when you're in SAT mode.

You know you should have the Dish receiver connected to the Onkyo via optical rather than the TV, because most TVs downmix everything except their ATSC/QAM tuners to 2.0 before sending it out the optical jack, right? (If your TV doesn't, then nevermind. But an awful lot of people don't know this, and eventually end up wondering why they're only getting ProLogic II sound rather than the original 5.1.)

I only have 2 speakers connected to the stereo currently. So if the TV downmixes it, it's not a problem. I know i'm not taking full advantage of the stereo, But 2 Bose speakers kicks the TV speakers in the butt! Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts