Can I get Directv hd on a triple lmb dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

old rat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Hi. Can I ask a question of those in the know? Can I get HD on my triple LMB D* dish?

Yes, you can receive the MPEG2 encoded HD channels on a triple "LNB" dish. However, to receive the newly rolled out MPEG4 channels, you'll need the 5LNB dish and appropriate receivers.

A further search on the forum will provide you with more info.

I asked this question a week or so ago...I believe there's about 13 channels you can get (the old ones) but the new ones need the 5 LNB.

sunday ticket will definitely be mpeg4 next season. directv spokesman robert mercer has already told us that.

as for the other channels, my guess is they'll be gone by end of quarter 2. i'm thinking after june 1, it will all be mpeg4. again, this is my hunch and nothing official from directv.

I have two questions. What's the benefit/significance of MPEG4 over MPEG2?
Also, what kind of deal are current customers getting for installation of the 5 LNB dish with the appropriate receivers? Right now, I have the triple LNB and have a Directivo and the Hughes HD receiver.

Thanks Ice. I'll be safe taking my receiver to the cabin then for the next few weekends. I'll figure out something before next spring.

I have two questions. What's the benefit/significance of MPEG4 over MPEG2?
Also, what kind of deal are current customers getting for installation of the 5 LNB dish with the appropriate receivers? Right now, I have the triple LNB and have a Directivo and the Hughes HD receiver.
There is a significant difference. They are in there orignal resolution 1920x1080 (some are 720p)instead of something like 1440x1080 (something like that) and also the compression of the image in MPEG 4 is a lot better than MPEG 2. I can notice a big difference between my MPEG 4 and the MPEG 2 channels. A big difference.

I paid $19.99 shipping.

Scottie, is that also with the new equipment? I don't have any MPEG4 capable recievers so I would need two to replace my standard high def receiver and my directivo hd receiver. According to their website, only two of their receivers are capable of receiving the new channels.

I believe the $19.95 is for the non-DVR receiver (H20).

well, i don't mind paying extra for the dvr, but Directv quoted me a $300 price tag. It seems a bit steep. Plus, I don't know if my older Hughes SD-HBH receivers can work with the 5 LNB or do I need to use the current standard boxes for my non hd televisions.

Also curious how the setup is with the 5 lnb. Right now, I have 4 outputs from the triple lnb coming to a Zinwell multiswitch with 8 inputs. What kind of multiswitch will I need with the 5lnb? Can I keep and use the one I have now?

Last edited:
The 5LNB dish also has four outputs. The appropriate switch for the MPEG4 use if the Zinwell WB68. So, if your switch is that model, you're all set.

Someothers have been able to negotiate with DirecTV to get the HR20 for just the shipping cost ($19.95). All I could get was $299 + shipping and then a $100 credit on my account. Once it gets installed and is working okay, I plan to call again and see what else I can negotiate.

There are plenty of different threads about this, but the short story is this:

1. When you call D*, at the voice prompt, say "Cancel Service." This will take you to the retention dept.
2. Tell them what you want and that Cable/E*/FIOS/whoever will give you the same thing for free (if that's true), that you want to stay, but not for $300.
3. If it doesn't work with that rep, call back again a few days later. Eventually, you'll probably find a retention rep who is willing to give you what you want.

The dish itself will not be a problem. They'll put it in when they bring the new receivers - just make sure you tell them you need it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)