Can I use a Wireless Ethernet Bridge with the 722?

I have Airport Extreme in my office and an Airport Express in the living room with a switch plugged into it. This provides Internet connection to DVR, Media Center PC, PS3.

It took a while, but I finally got a $20 Belkin F5D7130 Wireless Access Point to work. Problem was solved by switching from WPA to WEP security. Works great. Got the inexpensive AP from Buy dot com.

It was well worth connecting to the Internet. Dish offers a lot of free programing for download.

PS. PHXHoward, your PS3 is a wireless media server via SimpleCenter.

I have a Belkin 4 port wireless router bridged with a Belkin access point. The access point is connected to an old Netgear router acting as a switch. It then provides internet to the ViP722 and my Xbox 360. The Belkin bridging was a pain, had to use WEP. I had thought about replacing my router with a new one, but I am afraid it would disrupt my bridging.

I just set up one of these on my 622 last week:

Linksys | Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge | WET54G | B&H Photo Video

It was quite simple.

1. Plug in provided ethernet cable to your current router.
2. Plug in the AC power adapter.
3. Run the included cd based utility to find and configure the bridge.
4. Unplug from power and from the router.
5. Plug ethernet cable into DVR.
6. Plug in AC adapter.
7. Go into DVR Menu and configure. DONE

Using a Netgear router and bridge, I did not have to plug the 722 into it only into an ac outlet. It picked up the bridge on its own without an ethernet connection. Also the 722 is plugged into a surge suppressor and it still worked.

yeah, those $20 belkin routers will work too. you will be able to connect the receiver and enjoy the additional range of your wlan.

Given that, I think I'll leave my PS3 & XBox 360 alone with their current wireless connections. The only wireless connections I'm currently using are 2 laptops, the PS3 & XBox 360. The XBox 360 & the PS3 never run simultaneously. My desktop is hard-wired.

The decision has been made and I've ordered the D-Link DAP-1522 as recommended previously by thamac.

I kinda highjacked the thread, but it stayed on track. I think the bwthomas831's question was answered anyways.

120inna55,

I think you should be quite pleased with the d-link unit. Report back after you get it hooked up and let us know how it works out. :cool:

Dave

Last night I set up the Buffalo wireless bridge (WHR-HP-G54) so I could access my 722 using sling guide. Installation was pretty simple. The instructions that are in the users manual are more geared toward setting up two of these units (one as a router, and one as a wireless bridge). My router is a Linksys WRT54G so I had to access that to get the correct settings.

So if anyone gets the Buffalo unit and needs help pairing it with your existing non-Buffalo router, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can tell you what I did.

One thing is for sure, the user interface for the Buffalo router/bridge is dog sh*t. You can flash it with DD-WRT which i'm sure is a lot better. I just wanted to get it set up first before looking at 3rd party firmware.

Another plus is the size of the router/bridge. Thing was a lot smaller then I expected. Fits nicely with the rest of my equipment.

Anyone got a graphic image of a bridge setup? For the life of me I can't seem to comprehend what goes with what. I have slinglink but if I plug my 722 into it I cannot get a connection to show. The slingbox works fine.

A lot of computer geeks are confused with this process too, if they don't have dish or a slingbox. They've tried to steer me in the wrong direction.

For those using Airport Express/Extreme N devices as bridges:

I discovered that by using WDS, I was limited to 54Mbps, but by switching to "Extend A Wireless Network" I get up to 144Mbps. While my DishDVRs might not care, my PS3 should be happier when streaming from my computer.

-Ted

Anyone got a graphic image of a bridge setup? For the life of me I can't seem to comprehend what goes with what. I have slinglink but if I plug my 722 into it I cannot get a connection to show. The slingbox works fine.

A lot of computer geeks are confused with this process too, if they don't have dish or a slingbox. They've tried to steer me in the wrong direction.
Check the "Dish Technical" forum for sling specific info.

For computers you have to line (or synch) every thing up - channels, SSID, security code, password if needed. These settings can be accessed from a single LAN/WLAN connected computer by entering each unit's IP Address in a web browser's address bar.

After you get both the sender and the receiver on the same you page, you must unplug the receiver (AP) and then unplug the sender (Router), wait 30 seconds, plug in (reboot) the sender, wait 30 seconds, plug in the receiver. After rebooting, go to the 722 Main Menu>Set Up> Installation>BroadCOM and Reset the Connection. I thing the short cut is Menu, 6, 1, 9.

Hope that helps.

Update from the One Who Started this Thread

As the one who started this thread I wanted to give an update. I have a Linksys WRT54G2 v.1 which is not set up to act as a Wireless Bridge out of the box. After MUCH research and help from this forum I went ahead and flashed it with dd-wrt. The DD-WRT web site is very helpful and has a forum very much like this one.
They have a Wiki section that gives step by step on flashing these and many, many other kinds of routers. The flash part was pretty simple, just took my time was very careful to follow the exact order. It will be much easier for me the next time as I know what to expect.
After the flash the web interface of my Linksys was totally different. Luckily they have another Wiki that shows step by step for connecting as Wireless Bridge (they call it Client Bridge).
I did have trouble as I kept connecting the Linksys to my D-Link and PC via ethernet cable to perform the configuration. Then everytime I removed the ethernet from the D-Link I lost connection to the Linksys.
This was finally cleared up when their forum told me NOT to connect to the D-Link...JUST the PC alone and program it via the web interface.
After that bit of wisdom the rest of the process was seemless and very easy. I now have my ViP722 and BlueRay player both connected to the internet via my Linksys WRT54G2 and it is all hooked to my home wireless system.
The first thing my BlueRay player did was update its Firmware right over the internet...Very Cool!

Thanks to all for your help and feedback

This is the bridge:

linksys_wet54gv2-400.jpg

An ethernet cable runs from this either directly to your DVR OR you can connect the ethernet cable to a switch:

M,92.png

And then you can connect the DVR and other networkable devices by ethernet cable to the switch.

All traffic over the switch will go to the bridge by ethernet cable and then the bridge will send the traffic wirelessly to your wireless access point.

Make any sense?

Help!

My DLINK DAP-1522 came in today and I can't figure out the setup. It suggests that it's easy, but I cannot figure it out.

1. Initially, I had the DLINK switched to "Bridge" mode.
  2. I connected the DLINK to my router (NETGEAR-RangeMax WPN824 802.11g w/ MIMO) with CAT5.
  3. I plugged the DLINK into the the power outlet.
  4. I opened the browser on my PC, and attempted to go to "http://dlinkap" as the quick setup guide instructs.
  5. My browser won't go there. (I tried several times. I even disabled my Norton Internet Security.)
  6. I tried switching the DLINK to "Auto" mode.
  7. Finally, my browser was able to get me to "http://dlinkap".
  8. I clicked "Launch Wireless Setup Wizard".
  9. I took a screenshot of the settings it gave me, then I selected "save settings" (Although I hesitated to do this for fear it would decide that the DLINK is my router--I don't know why I fear that, I just don't know what I'm doing so I was afraid this action would somehow disable the existing wireless setup I have in my house.)
  10. Anyway, once that was done, as the instructions indicate, I unplugged the CAT5 from my router and removed the power plug from the wall.
  11. I then moved the DLINK near my ViP622; connected the CAT5 between the DLINK and the 622; then plugged the DLINK into the power outlet.
  12. Set the DLINK to "Bridge" mode.
  13. Tried to setup the 622. Nothing. It says "not connected". I tried reset DHCP to no avail.
  14. I tried to setup the 622 with the DLINK in "Auto" mode, again to no avail.

Setting up a "bridge" shouldn't be this complicated. What am I missing?

Ok. I got a little further.

First, I figured out that I have to wait a good 30 seconds or so after plugging in the DLINK before trying to go to "http://dlinkap".

Then I went through the setup again. This time, instead of selecting the option about WiFi, I selected "manual".

It then took me though some steps. I allowed it to find my network, and all seemed ok. I clicked save settings. It stayed on the please wait screen for a good 5 minutes. Then I noted my laptops were not able to connect to the net and a warning popped up on my laptop stating something like, "an IP address conflict has occurred with another system on the network".

Now what?

Ok. Now I just want my wireless network nirvana back!

I took the DLINK out of the picture. Rebooted all PC's. None of them could see each other. Exactly what I feared about introducing this bridge. :mad:

I ran Network Setup Wizard on all the PC's and laptop. Now their seeing each other and able to print. Whew. :(

Frankly, I'm afraid to try the bridge again. From an uneducated view, it seemed like it pushed it's way in and jacked up my other connections by causing an IP address conflict.

Heheh...

I just double-confirmed that both laptops can access shared files and can print through the desktop PC via the wireless network. My PS3 and XBox 360 can still access the shared folders on the desktop PC and view pics and stream videos. So everything was back to the way it was.

But I was sitting there looking at this DLINK bridge that I was so excited to get, and now was afraid to plug it in.

I figured I could run the network wizards again, should it screw up again, so I took the plunge. I did not physically connect the DLINK to the router and attempt a setup wizard again. I figured it did what it was gonna do, so we'd see what happens...

So I connected the ViP 622 & the ViP 722 to the bridge and plugged it in. I reset DHCP on both receivers and they were connected immediately. First and foremost, I checked to ensure the rest of the network was intact and it was. Whew, again!

I went to my to the online slingguide and was able to see both receivers. Hooray!

Does anyone know what was happening in the setup and why it was ultimately able to self-correct?

Last edited:
It's been a while since I set up my network but I do remember that it was a little tricky getting the bridge to communicate. After I did get it working it's been running nonstop without any issues.
Sounded like it almost got the best of you there....I'm glad you were able to get it worked out.

...Sounded like it almost got the best of you there....I'm glad you were able to get it worked out.

Networking's just so foreign to me. I don't remember my initial setup of my existing network being so "tricky". I hooked up an ADSL modem after years of dial-up and no network. On the same day as the modem install, I connected the router, and using my built-in wireless adapter on my laptop, was able to connect up immediately. A few days later when the network adapter card for my wife's laptop arrived, I installed it without a problem. Soon afterwards the XBox 360 was connected via then Microsoft adapter. I do recall it being a few weeks before I actually learned how to make files shareable as well as making the printer get along. I was just happy they could all share an internet connection. Then the PS3 arrived and connection was a breeze. There was one hiccup along the way when my desktop died and had to be replaced, but a little help from this board got me back up and running in an evening.

Once I had "network nirvana", I just didn't want anything to upset that, especially something like this bridge enabling the remote DVR access. Which, if you consider my situation, is 99.9% coolness factor only. I can't remember a time in which I was away from home and wished I could set the DVR to record something. I just like knowing now I can. :D

I guess truthfully, I just wanted to be prepared for the 922. I assume when I swap my 622 for the 922, it'll be plug-n-play since the bridge is in place.

About the DLINK DAP-1522: I do like the small footprint. It's a lot smaller than I expected. I didn't really want to stack it on one of my other components for 2 resons: I didn't want another LED brightening up the viewing area, and I was concerned about the heat. It works nicely sitting vertically with the included stand behind my TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)