Can someone explain to me how Open Season is #2 (Nielsen VideoScan)

nonrev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
NJ
Greetings all.

If I'm not mistaken Open Season was an old movie. I don't own either format and I'm using stats to decide which format to support so I won't waste money. But with Open Season numbers I don't know what to believe. Kinda makes me think the 2 to 1 ratio is not very accurate????

Maybe someone from the Bluray side can give me their answer and like wise from the HD DVD side.

First time long time.

Was given away free. but scanned out of system = sales for blue ray camp :D

It's why they are walloping HD-DVD in disk sales.

It's a timeless classic, a tale for the ages, with absolutely stunning video and rock-tastic audio . . . .. .

Actually, no - what akodoreign said ^^^^

It was a 1 week promo nationwide at Best Buy - buy a PS3 game machine toy, and get a free cheesey cartoon movie that first got scanned as a sale, then discounted to free so it could skew the numbers. Welcome to the world of High-def format showmanship. :(

Greetings all.

If I'm not mistaken Open Season was an old movie. I don't own either format and I'm using stats to decide which format to support so I won't waste money. But with Open Season numbers I don't know what to believe. Kinda makes me think the 2 to 1 ratio is not very accurate????

Maybe someone from the Bluray side can give me their answer and like wise from the HD DVD side.

First time long time.
As cochise said, they gave it away for free. Just like all of the bogus BOGO(Buy one get one free) "sales" that artificially inflate BD movie sales for Neilsen. Same thing. It is all part of BluRays' strategy to mislead the pubic.

Sony sold a lot of Playstations

*going to be a douche here, don't take it personally, Just wanna keep the sonyphiles from coming in here and saying that these numbers mean something* HE HE .

Yup, go figure he he they would sell machines a month before Christmas.

Oh newsflash,,, Wii still sold out everywhere...

newsflash again... shortages of most 360 systems as well.....

Can't wait to see the Numbers for last month...

The thing that is encouraging though is that this means consumers are still spending money. :)

There are some numbers out for turkey week, 360 and Wii both over 300k and Microsoft said that it outsold Sony 2:1, Sony has since said their information is wrong but wont rebut with numbers and said they'll wait till NPD numbers are out (due 12/13 for turkey week) and threw out some 'sales increased 245%' figure.

...Sony has since said their information is wrong but wont rebut with numbers and said they'll wait till NPD numbers are out...
Considering how good Sony is at "manipulating" disc sales numbers, maybe the same applies to PS3s?
Have they been "giving away" a PS3 with a purchase of any of their TVs? :D :p

Diogen.

Considering how good Sony is at "manipulating" disc sales numbers, maybe the same applies to PS3s?
Have they been "giving away" a PS3 with a purchase of any of their TVs? :D :p

Diogen.

havent seen it with the ps3 but i know for a while bestbuy was giving away a 360 with the purchase of a samsung tv

Is there a more reliable source other Neilsen VideoScan, a source to account for software stats? A source that takes into account anomalies like Open Season rank #2 and can some how include Walmart. Is there anyway to get a source that excludes $0.00 purchases(BOGO) from weekly totals?

*going to be a douche here, don't take it personally, Just wanna keep the sonyphiles from coming in here and saying that these numbers mean something* HE HE .

Yup, go figure he he they would sell machines a month before Christmas.

Oh newsflash,,, Wii still sold out everywhere...

newsflash again... shortages of most 360 systems as well.....

Can't wait to see the Numbers for last month...

The thing that is encouraging though is that this means consumers are still spending money. :)

I was in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. On Black Friday I went to Frye's Electronics, BestBuy, Circuit City, Costco's and BJ's and guess what? They all had Wii's , Xbox360s and PS3s. You must live in a very small market.

Sony does not have to beat the Wii or the Xbox360. This is the War Zone for BluRay/HD-DVD and the sales of Wii and the Xbox360 DO NOT impact the HD format war in anyway. But the sale of the PS3 does impact it directly. You do not get 5 free anything with the purchase of a Wii or Xbox360 but you do get 5 free BluRay movies on on Black Friday many retailers were giving free BD movies in-house with the purchase of a PS3 80gb.

Both sides are putting up false numbers. If Toshiba doesn't drop the price to $98 alot of HD-DVD players will just sit on the shelf or in storage collecting dust. If the BluRay camp doesn't drop prices their discs will set on retailers shelves doing the same thing. Seems like both camps are pushing their agenda and proping up their respective sales figures the best way they can.

Another way to look at this, every PS3 is a BluRay in the home ready to go anytime the owner wants to watch, rent or purchase a BluRay. If Toshiba doesn't drop prices there is no way they can possibly keep the standard quo as things are and BluRay runs away from them.

Even with giving away all those BD as you guys say, BD is still making more money both in sales of standalones and in sales of movies on format then HD-DVD. Even Warner admits they sell twice as much BD as they do HD-DVD. And this still hasn't changed.

Sony does not have to beat the Wii or the Xbox360. This is the War Zone for BluRay/HD-DVD and the sales of Wii and the Xbox360 DO NOT impact the HD format war in anyway. But the sale of the PS3 does impact it directly. You do not get 5 free anything with the purchase of a Wii or Xbox360 but you do get 5 free BluRay movies on on Black Friday many retailers were giving free BD movies in-house with the purchase of a PS3 80gb.

Both sides are putting up false numbers. If Toshiba doesn't drop the price to $98 alot of HD-DVD players will just sit on the shelf or in storage collecting dust. If the BluRay camp doesn't drop prices their discs will set on retailers shelves doing the same thing. Seems like both camps are pushing their agenda and proping up their respective sales figures the best way they can.

Another way to look at this, every PS3 is a BluRay in the home ready to go anytime the owner wants to watch, rent or purchase a BluRay. If Toshiba doesn't drop prices there is no way they can possibly keep the standard quo as things are and BluRay runs away from them.

Even with giving away all those BD as you guys say, BD is still making more money both in sales of standalones and in sales of movies on format then HD-DVD. Even Warner admits they sell twice as much BD as they do HD-DVD. And this still hasn't changed.

I am not so sure about that. I have 3x 360's and It spurred me to buy a HD-DVD add on drive.

there is a correlation line there. It may not be strong but it does exist. :)

Toshiba is making a ton of money off the PS3's to counter the so called price cut on the HDDVD players even though they are almost at cost for the 1080i models.

If Microsoft wants to help with the war even more they could offer free HDDVD addon for the whole month on Premium and Elite model purchases.

The drive assemble is so cheap for HDDVD, and you can even get a dual format drive for under 300.

You guys are funny,this crap is rehashed every day.

"ps3's are selling like hotcakes"
"this is why hddvd cant even touch bd movies sales"
vurbano - "its the bogo crap" (like HDDVD never does it)

Come on fellas, regardless of BOGO's and all that, the PS3 is selling well and that is BAD for HDDVD.

The last natinal BOGO for HDDVD was the week of Aug31 on Amazon.com, now Blu has has plenty after that.

Just Posting facts, HDDVD rarly has a BOGO I wish they had more put B2G1 are less effective.

Come on fellas, regardless of BOGO's and all that, the PS3 is selling well and that is BAD for HDDVD.
Considering how much money Sony is losing on the PS3 (750 million last quarter) its BAD for SOny too. The more they sell, the more money they lose.

The last natinal BOGO for HDDVD was the week of Aug31 on Amazon.com, now Blu has has plenty after that.

Just Posting facts, HDDVD rarly has a BOGO I wish they had more put B2G1 are less effective.
You got that right. HD DVD "never" has BOGO's, if they did I would own many more movies.

Business Week: Blu-ray Is Winning

VideoBusiness: High-def formats will remain at parity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)