Can we self install the Superdish?

The reason I thought the lnbf receiving off of 105 would require a polarization setting is that the 105 satellite is a lower powered satellite in which I thought required a different lnbf to receive it.

Being a professional installer of both Dish500's, DirecTV, c-band, and ku digital fta dishes, I can state that the ku fta dish is the toughest to aim. The sweet spot on a 30 inch fta dish is very small in comparison to all of the others forementioned. So I believe that the key for installing Superdish will be the process of tweaking of the lnb for 105 or 121. Getting both 119 and 110 will be easy, as it is not quite easy with Dish500. Basically, the fine adjustment will be made on the linear feed ku lnb. Because of the relatively large windows of 110 and 119, tweaking for 105 or 121 will not likely change the former two positions' signal level much or if at all. If we are fortunate, there will be separate adjustments for the linear ku lnb that are independent from the rest of the dish.

Most Superdishes will have 2 inch diameter masts. This means that the mast has to be switched out. There are no standard pipe, fence post, or conduit ground poles readily available, should ground pole mounting be necessary. Ground poles must then be purchased from expensive specialty satellite equipment suppliers. Two inch O.D. 1/8" wall aluminum tubing from metal suppliers may be a good alternative.

Larger Superdishes will have a 2-3/8" dia. mast. This is standard nominal 2 inch pipe or rigid conduit size. As a professional installer, I do not recommend roof or side of building mounting of large dishes. although I've done a few of these. On side of building mounting, the azmuth swing of the mounting arm is always limited. If you get the sight survey wrong by just a few degrees, the dish may hit the wall, when swung to acquire a signal. On some Dish500's, I have at times had to bend the edge of the dish pan to get clearance. Ground mounting is the best option, as it was when I installed Primestar. Those ex-Primestar subscribers with the original pole and clear line of site are fortunate.

Stargazer said:
The reason I thought the lnbf receiving off of 105 would require a polarization setting is that the 105 satellite is a lower powered satellite in which I thought required a different lnbf to receive it.

True: AMC-2 has lower powered transponders.
True: it does require a different LNB than most Dish satellites.

Not true: The different LNB is required because AMC-2 has lower powered transponders.

The different LNB is required because AMC-2 operates on a different set of frequencies and uses horizontal/vertical linear polarization instead of left/right circular polarization. However, if the 3 LNBs are fixed in a rigid plastic unit (much like the twin/quad LNBs today), there should not be any separate adjustments for polarization as it will be fixed in manufacturing.

Unless I am missing something here, once the elevation, azimuth, and rotation of the dish is properly set to receive all three satellites, the polarization alignment of the third LNB should be right on.

Mike500 said:
..... As a professional installer, I do not recommend roof or side of building mounting of large dishes....

In this part of the country [Southeast Texas], roof-, chimney-, and wall- mountings are the norm. I see very few ground pole mounts.

If this is, in fact, a requirement it will cause lots of problems.

Likewise, due to the size of the dish and the very small aperature for the 105 or 101 lnb, you will no longer be able to continually use the bucket and post mount.

Luckly being a machinist, when I get the correct dimensions of the mast dia for SuperDish, I going to turn down a piece of galvanized tubing ( gavlvaized fence post or conduit) and have it ready for the installer.

Actually I would like to level it and have it cemeneted in the ground before he gets there.

Last time I bought a piece of 1 5/8 galvanized conduit it was actually slightly bigger than 1 5/8.

I am convinced that aluminum tubing and/or pipe is the best material. I've seen 30 year old aluminum rigid conduit along the seacoast still in good condition with only thin layer of corrosion.

This is why many light post and flag poles are aluminum.

Transporting and handling 6 ft lengths of 2" schedule 40 pipe is no fun. The same stuff in aluminum weighs about 10 pounds.

Mounting SuperDish on the side of a house

I currently have a Dish500 mounted on the side of my house. Will I be able to replace the Dish500 with a SuperDish, mounting the SuperDish in the same spot on the side of my house?

Mike

Re: Mounting SuperDish on the side of a house

Anonymous said:
I currently have a Dish500 mounted on the side of my house. Will I be able to replace the Dish500 with a SuperDish, mounting the SuperDish in the same spot on the side of my house?

Mike

It depends on your location and the construction of the siding on your house. The mounting foot will have different hole spacing. There may also be side braces on the arm. The smaller SuperDish might be O.K. You might have to forget it, if you have vinyl siding.

Knowing Charlie, the installer's probably will not receive the proper pay for installing these things. As a result I see alot of short-cuts being takin! I will be constantly watching every move when I had this done.

James

I have always done my own installs. With the superdish being a mandatory dealer install, I have a question.

I currently have the 500 dish installed on a pole set in concrete. The superdish can't use that smaller pole. Will the install include a pole and will they set it in concrete or will I need to have the pole in place before they arrive?

Thanks,
Larry

From what I understand professional installation WILL be needed, no if's and or butts.

But the good thing is the pro install will include the Dish, the switches even the RG6 cable if needed.

You might as well have them install it for all thats included. :)

General installation question and specific pole question

Like lapplegate, I have a pole set in concrete. I can't imagine installers putting new poles in. You can't even mount a dish until the concrete has set for a day or so, in my experience. Wouldn't it make sense for there to be some kind of adapter to increase the diameter of a pre-set pole so the Superdish can use it?

Now I have an even more basic question. I have always been a do-it-yourselfer. As we know, Dish will require professional installation of the Superdish. So how do you arrange for that? I wouldn't even know who the Dish installers are in my area. Do I call Dish to order the Superdish, and will they send someone out like the cable company? (I already dread the time likely to be wasted waiting for someone, not to mention the fact that my site is very complex. If they can't use my pole, and that may be the case, this sure won't be a tack it on the wall and point it at an open sky deal.)

And can we already call Dish to pre-order the Superdish? I fear that there will be an immense backlog if we have to wait until the things are actually available, and where I live it sure won't get easier to install as the snow starts to fly.

Scott Greczkowski said:
From what I understand professional installation WILL be needed, no if's and or butts.

But the good thing is the pro install will include the Dish, the switches even the RG6 cable if needed.

You might as well have them install it for all thats included. :)

You mean I have to pay for the privledge of having some stranger I don't know tramble around my backyard and do an inadequate job for installing something I am perfectly capable of installing myself? And I have to wait for said stranger to show up on his timetable, with no guarantees any commitments will be kept?

I think this smacks of Dish trying to steer a lot of business to their local installers....

No SuperDish for me then.....

Like lapplegate, I have a pole set in concrete. I can't imagine installers putting new poles in. You can't even mount a dish until the concrete has set for a day or so, in my experience. Wouldn't it make sense for there to be some kind of adapter to increase the diameter of a pre-set pole so the Superdish can use it?

This is a good question.

I also have my Dish on a pole set in concrete. My installer used Quickcrete so he was able to put it in and do the rest of my install the same day.

I am thinking for my install I will want them to install the SuperDish as a seperate Dish and to leave my existing Dish alone, this way all my old non Dishpro units will not need adapters, all the Dishpro stuff can be hooked to the new dish.

This indeed something Dish Needs to address.

When Dish says FREE INSTALLED I expect that to include the pole and the cement needed to put the Dish in.

Scott Greczkowski said:
... I am thinking for my install I will want them to install the SuperDish as a seperate Dish and to leave my existing Dish alone....

Scott, what makes you think Dish is going to let you keep your current antennas? I'm sure part of the installers job will be to collect (and recycle) the existing installation's parts-made-surplus.....

My current antenna is not a Dish Network antenna, it is a DirecTV 3 LNB antenna, and I own it.

Nothing I have seen indicates to me that I must surrender any property I own to Dish Network in order to upgrade to the SuperDish.

Given that you have a DirecTV antenna, they will probably not try to take it. However, I bet most people with Dish 500 antennas lose it when the installer shows up to hook up the SuperDish.

Check with Echostar and see if that isn't their intent.....

Recycling?

Is there any precedent for Dish taking your old antenna? I bought, paid for and installed all my components myself. Like Scott, I may choose to keep my current Dish to run a non-HD, non Dish Pro ready receiver from it, (and so I don't have to buy another DP adapter) and as a backup. I suppose it's within Dish's ability to say the Superdish is not free unless Dish gets to take your old equipment -- but if that's the case, it's really NOT free.

I would be very upset if this was the plan. I certainly wouldn't get the Superdish under these circumstances. I'll get my HD from the OTA channels and the heck with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)