Can you have one account for 3 separate buildings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aurora

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Aurora, CO
I am thinking this won't work, but wanted to check on here anyway. My wife's family has three buildings on their farm they want to get DirecTV in. One is their main house, and the other 2 are guest houses (1 double wide and 2 singles). They are all on the same property, but are about 1,000 feet apart from each other. Each building only has 1 tv that needs service, so 3 TV's total.

Will DirecTV allow us to set up one subscription or will they make us do a separate subscription for each building? Thanks in advance.

Are they the exact same physical property / plat / plot / address ? Then they should......

BUT

The distances are so long it may not be technically efficient or cost effective BUT it would seem easier to just setup your ONE acct with all the needed receivers on that same acct and then buy 2 additional separate dishes off ebay or via a sponsor above for the other buildings and connect them to each receiver unit separately. That should work without any extra or non-normal monthly costs; just the upfront costs for the 2 dishes. But this should be way cheaper than running and burying special RG cable all over the farm.

Thanks for the advice, I will have to see if I would be able to set up the extra dishes my self. I've never done it before.

I forgot to mention that they are on the same property, but each has a unique address, so I guess that would not work (Legitimately) with directv.

I haven't asked directv about this yet, but maybe they can work something out with us so we don't pay 3x a normal subscription.

"same property, but each has a unique address"

How does this happen? If the county and post office recognizes them as 3 separate, they should be 3 separate "properties", even if all owned by the same party and now all inside one encompassing fence. Visually they happen to be "one property".

Will this setup will be you, all ONE SINGLE user and not multiple families, renters, tenants, etc?

This being the case you might have to get some help by a local installer on the side and physically move 2 of the units after the original install as described above.

charper
Its probably 3 different addresses with the post office. I know of someone who had a lot of land and he built a house for his mother on his land. Same driveway (long gravel one) and they had different addresses

There are alot of factors here, but generally as a rule if your family member is renting out the other 2 trailers and there are people living in there from month to month then they really need to get their own account with their own seperate subscription.

If its truely a guest house and people are using it off and on, then it can be added under 1 account.

Technically speaking, you could have one account for two different locations across the country. In reality, directv has no idea where your receivers reside geographically, except if you have them plugged into a POTS telephone line. However, having many receivers spread across the United States and perhaps Canada and Mexico on a single account is called "account stacking," and is illegal per your agreement that you signed with directv when you first got service. However, in your case with three buildings on the same property, I do not see any reason why you could not put them all on the same account. To be on the safe side though, I would have the initial installation done on the primary building, then order the additional receivers online and have them shipped to you. You can find used dishes for free anywhere, however, there is always ebay if you can't find any around town. The installer may think what he is doing is against company policy if you ask him to install the additional receivers in different buildings 1000 feet apart.

Wife says the 3 properties are on "parcels" (or whatever) of land that at one time were owned by different owners. Her family now owns all the properties, and now it is "one" piece of land that is not separated by any other owned land or fences or whatever. Hope that makes sense.

The 2 guest houses were and never will be rented out, they are only being used when family comes to visit and doesn't have enough room to stay in the main house.

It sounds like it would just be easiest to order the initial installation on the main house, then do like you guys said and order 2 more receivers online and find used dishes somewhere.

Thanks a lot for all the help! We'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT - Out of curiosity I started an order on directv.com, and apparently the farm is in an area without locals (zip 81526). It says we have to purchase receivers that have built in OTA tuners. Is this true? Or can we get distant locals or something? Sorry We're all still new to this :)

Wife says the 3 properties are on "parcels" (or whatever) of land that at one time were owned by different owners. Her family now owns all the properties, and now it is "one" piece of land that is not separated by any other owned land or fences or whatever. Hope that makes sense. The 2 guest houses were and never will be rented out, they are only being used when family comes to visit and doesn't have enough room to stay in the main house.

This means that by LAW they are 3 different properties; regardless of the one owner and all inside one fence as I mentioned at the very beginning. Post #2 & #4

However; since you are saying you are now NEVER going to rent these out you should still be able to follow the technique listed above to get TV in all 3 properties on 1 account. But make sure that if these ever become separate single family homes, to get separate accounts for each, EVEN if you you still own them all as ownership is NOT the single and end all factor.

It sounds like it would just be easiest to order the initial installation on the main house, then do like you guys said and order 2 more receivers online and find used dishes somewhere. Thanks a lot for all the help! We'll let you know how it goes.

I would get everything except the 2 additional dishes upfront at the main house and then simply physically move them to the other houses after you get the dishes.

D* will sell you 2 more dishes for the other houses if no one lives in them. You could even tell them one is a Barn and the other is yoru workshop.. They will charge extra for it, but will put 3 dishes on the work order.

I have done this where it had a KAKU ODU/18" ODU/18" ODU on 1 work order, and have a couple times called in and added it. It can be anywhere from $40 per dish (with install) to $150 per extra dish. You may want to get a D* quote and get a local retailer quote before proceeding.

or

Order 2 extra now and acquire the dishes yourself. if its the 18" Dish, then its easy to setup (ie non-hd)

This means that by LAW they are 3 different properties; regardless of the one owner and all inside one fence as I mentioned at the very beginning. Post #2 & #4

However; since you are saying you are now NEVER going to rent these out you should still be able to follow the technique listed above to get TV in all 3 properties on 1 account. But make sure that if these ever become separate single family homes, to get separate accounts for each, EVEN if you you still own them all as ownership is NOT the single and end all factor.

I would get everything except the 2 additional dishes upfront at the main house and then simply physically move them to the other houses after you get the dishes.

Actually, when you buy a piece of property, you can pay a fee and have it split into multiple parcels.

You can also do the reverse; If you have 3 adjoining parcels, you can pay a fee and have the land joined into one property.

The city manager (of country commissioners office if you live outside the city.) can help you with this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)