Cancelled Dish

keno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
I just cancelled my Dish Network account. The conversation was pretty funny. The first person I spoke with at Dish Network was an Account Representative. He asked me why I was canceling Dish. I informed him we only have High Definition television sets in our house and Dish offers very limited High Definition stations.

At that point he says I was wrong and Dish offers seven (7) High Def channels. I informed him I had Voom and Adelphia Cable, and I receive over 50 High Def channels using these two services, including INHD1, INHD2, HDNet, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, PBS-HD, FOX-HD, plus 39 more High Def channels on Voom.

His response was that Cable and Voom do not offer “true” high definition like Dish. “Dish is the only provider of true high definition channels”. I had to laugh.

Well, then I get transferred to another customer service representative (a disconnect representative) and I had to explain again why I was canceling Dish. He informed me the picture quality on cable and Voom were less superior to Dish, and he also could offer me 3 months of free service if I do not cancel. I cancelled.

Yeah but I think E* will be adding more HD soon. Voom has more HD for now but you take a hit with allot of SD channels that they dont offer. Plus you cant always get locals either so either way you take a hit with them also.

keno said:
I just cancelled my Dish Network account. The conversation was pretty funny. The first person I spoke with at Dish Network was an Account Representative. He asked me why I was canceling Dish. I informed him we only have High Definition television sets in our house and Dish offers very limited High Definition stations.

At that point he says I was wrong and Dish offers seven (7) High Def channels. I informed him I had Voom and Adelphia Cable, and I receive over 50 High Def channels using these two services, including INHD1, INHD2, HDNet, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, PBS-HD, FOX-HD, plus 39 more High Def channels on Voom.

His response was that Cable and Voom do not offer “true” high definition like Dish. “Dish is the only provider of true high definition channels”. I had to laugh.

Well, then I get transferred to another customer service representative (a disconnect representative) and I had to explain again why I was canceling Dish. He informed me the picture quality on cable and Voom were less superior to Dish, and he also could offer me 3 months of free service if I do not cancel. I cancelled.

Good for you!!! I'm seriously considering cancelling Dish in January because my year commitment will be up then!Although I have a second commitment till 08/05 for using dish mover, the fee to cancel before then is $99.00. May move to Directv cause I think they now also have NBC HD. Unfortunately can't do voom cause where I live (in the mountains I can't get a fix on their satellite).

Francisco

Poke said:
Yeah but I think E* will be adding more HD soon. Voom has more HD for now but you take a hit with allot of SD channels that they dont offer. Plus you cant always get locals either so either way you take a hit with them also.

How soon is it? from what I understand their soon means 2007 or so... :(

Francisco

I also just dumped dish network. I have read on the other forums that they are not even providing 1920x1080 on their HD channels.
Plus the fact that there were always equipment problems such as the no OTA guide info, and only 1 hour of guide information.

Got old quick. I was with them for over 5 years and did not even get any incentives from the retention department to stay, even though I subscribed to the Dish Everything pack. Oh well.

Now I have comcast cable and the dual tuner HD PVR, and am loving it.

I do miss HDNET and HDNET Movies though...:(

Dish won't provide locals in my area and waivers are always refused. I am not spending big bucks on an ugly outside antenna when you can get them with a dish. Maybe someday...................

I actually ordered Voom today, but thought before calling DN to cancel I would hop over to the Voom forum. Holy smokes...nightmare after nightmare about poor PQ, bad installs, horrid customer service, bad OTA reception, customers having to buy their own multiswitches for new supposed free installs, and low signal reception here on the west coast. Just seems to me that I shouldn't have to beg for a 24" dish, better OTA antenna or pay for my own switches for a free install.

After reading this this evening I called Voom and cancelled my pending install for the 18th. While I'm bummed at DN's dismal HD offerings I don't want to risk committing to a service where 80% of the posts are complaints about serious problems.

I may consider going back to Comcast but here we don't have VoD yet and their HD offerings here are just about as bad as DN....plus reading on DSLReports about Comcast's latest round of price increases which is why I had cancelled in the first place.

All that's left is DirecTV, but I'm not up for buying another round of HD equipment.

Guess I'm stuck with DN which isn't all bad.

I've enjoyed 7+ years of DishNetwork so far; no equipment problems, no billing problems and pretty good deals on equipment upgrades. Guess I got the "7-year itch" and looked at Comcast (which just recently installed their service in our area) and VOOM. I'm telling you it's Gloom & Doom everywhere; doesn't seem to be a happy soul on earth (at least not on A/V forums ;) ). It's about as bad on the Dish forums; so bad that I wonder if we're all dealing with the same company! :confused:

I was basically happy with Dish and just wanted more HD stuff but in the end decided to just stay put! [Maybe it's the devil you know syndrome!]

keno said:

Yea this is so Funny I am thinking about getting rid of Dish altogether. I have gone from AEP, Supers, HDpak, Locals and latino to HD pak. They asked me what was wrong i said well My year is up i have three HD tv's and 7 channels of HD. Anyway i was told voom was not true Hd i told him i have had Voom had to get rid of it because was spending to much money on TV but not now hello voom again!!

You really need to read between the lines...

I actually ordered Voom today, but thought before calling DN to cancel I would hop over to the Voom forum. Holy smokes...nightmare after nightmare about poor PQ, bad installs, horrid customer service, bad OTA reception, customers having to buy their own multiswitches for new supposed free installs, and low signal reception here on the west coast. Just seems to me that I shouldn't have to beg for a 24" dish, better OTA antenna or pay for my own switches for a free install.

After reading this this evening I called Voom and cancelled my pending install for the 18th. While I'm bummed at DN's dismal HD offerings I don't want to risk committing to a service where 80% of the posts are complaints about serious problems.

I see that you have been a member for a few months. I suggest that you really need to learn to "read between the lines" when you read these forums. By nature 90% of all posts are generally by people who: Are continuous b*tchers, have nothing else to do, or have no idea what their doing. Very seldom do people who are happy with something post which is too bad. By your theory, I would not have bought a 921 in January. Has it had it's moments-yes, but when I look back I really have enjoyed being able to time shift HD and overall it has been a good investment. I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not trying Voom. It's only a six month commitment for a $1 install! I signed up on saturday and will have it installed on thursday. Time will tell if I made a mistake. But in the end it will be MY mistake to make. Gerry

Someday, but who knows when, Dish will have more HD channels. Until then we can use other providers who offer more. We can always go back to or go somewhere else when we want to (not including contract agreements). I think that Dish is becoming proactive in getting HD packages to consumers, but until they get a significant number of HD subscribers, little if any additional programming will materialize. If other HD providers have HD content, Dish should follow suit. Dish may even try to outdo the others. Depending on the performance of the next 921 software update will play a big factor on my decision to stay with Dish or dump'em.

I'm going to give them six more months. I may be moving around that time frame anyway. I switched over to Dish Network about seven months ago and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately, I now have a HDTV and refuse to pay for the receiver and $10/month for a few extra channels. Voom is intriguing...I just really don't know what to do right now.

I found I don't really need Voom
Cinemax-HD(HBO shows the same movies,either before or a little after they are on Max)
TMC(same answer with Showtime)
Starz-HD(go look at the complaints(here and AVS) on this channel,lot of upconverts, not many new movies in HD(Disney/Pixar are not in HD,and no OAR, we have widescreen TVs, we should get the whole movie,when you zoom a 2:35 movie to a 16x9 screen, you lose 25% of the picture and 25% of the resolution)

And if you complain about HDNet and Movies not being on Voom, they(Voom forum) just answer back we have the same movies on the Voom movie channels, well then since I get that already why do I need Voom?

ggw2000 said:

I see that you have been a member for a few months. I suggest that you really need to learn to "read between the lines" when you read these forums. By nature 90% of all posts are generally by people who: Are continuous b*tchers, have nothing else to do, or have no idea what their doing. Very seldom do people who are happy with something post which is too bad. By your theory, I would not have bought a 921 in January. Has it had it's moments-yes, but when I look back I really have enjoyed being able to time shift HD and overall it has been a good investment. I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not trying Voom. It's only a six month commitment for a $1 install! I signed up on saturday and will have it installed on thursday. Time will tell if I made a mistake. But in the end it will be MY mistake to make. Gerry

Well, you can add me to the list of Voom whiners cause I did end up going through with a Voom order and was due to be installed today (this after yet another installer no show 2 days ago). No install due to lack of LOS. Amazing given the clear field of vision all around me...Voom is simply WAY too low on the horizon. To add to that, even if they had LOS I wouldn't have let them do the install since even after CALLING in the order specifically to request that I get the 24" dish and an upgraded OTA antenna...the equipment on the truck was the regular 18" dish and cheesy OTA antenna.

I read between the lines...which is why I tried to order Voom back in July and after 2 installer no-shows gave up and went back to DN (after cancelling Comcrap). And I read between the lines again when cancelling an online order and instead calling up after reading more threads here about people who got Voom, it sucked and they finally got it working right.

It appears that with Voom there are a lot of lines to read between before you find a happy subscriber. It's no wonder they have so few subs. It's obvious when you stick to the lines why that's the case.

Looking good to me...

skeedatl said:
Well, you can add me to the list of Voom whiners cause I did end up going through with a Voom order and was due to be installed today (this after yet another installer no show 2 days ago). No install due to lack of LOS. Amazing given the clear field of vision all around me...Voom is simply WAY too low on the horizon. To add to that, even if they had LOS I wouldn't have let them do the install since even after CALLING in the order specifically to request that I get the 24" dish and an upgraded OTA antenna...the equipment on the truck was the regular 18" dish and cheesy OTA antenna.

I read between the lines...which is why I tried to order Voom back in July and after 2 installer no-shows gave up and went back to DN (after cancelling Comcrap). And I read between the lines again when cancelling an online order and instead calling up after reading more threads here about people who got Voom, it sucked and they finally got it working right.

It appears that with Voom there are a lot of lines to read between before you find a happy subscriber. It's no wonder they have so few subs. It's obvious when you stick to the lines why that's the case.

Had Voom installed as indicated above. Installer showed up on time and install went problem free. Was up and watching HD in a couple of hours.
Had a few initial problems with their STB but from previous experience with satellite receivers I figured it would update over night and be good to go.
And it did update over night and works great. No problems so far...
Happy camper, Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)