Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

lwien

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I have a Sony A3000 (1080p/24fps) that is hooked up to the ViP722 via HDMI. Everything works great...........except, it fails the 1080p test when trying to get I Am Legend and I can only get it in 1080i.

What gives?

no hijack intended
sorry lwien

i just rented this movie it shows as 1080p on my set via hdmi but i got no sound

is that typical?

tuned to 501 and sound was there

Last edited:
No, there's nothing you can do. Is it a bug ? Maybe.... Is the issue in your TV (and the way it "reports" back to devices that query it) or the receiver ? Sony will say the receiver is to blame while Dish will say the TV is... It's a no-win situation.

1080p

Same here. I downloaded I AM LEGEND last night and had no sound when viewing @ 1080p. Additionally, the picture was moved to the upper left hand corner of my HDTV. Just to make sure, I played a Blu-ray disc and it worked perfectly. I think there must be a bug in the new software, as this same thing has happened to people with various brands of HDTVs. However, when I switched the resolution on my ViP722 from 1080p to 1080i, everything was fine...I had sound and a perfect picture. I'm puzzled ! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

My Panasonic 42" (PZ42700u) did the same thing. No sound, small picture in the upper left corner. I wish you could test the thing without spending $2.95 on the movie to see that it doesn't work.

Just to pile on here, I have a Sony KDS60XBR2 1080p input capable TV and it fails Dish's test.

I have a Sony XBR4 40 inch LCD that states clearly all through the manual that it is 1080p/25fps and 120 hz yet it fails the resolution test every time!

I don't even have Dish, I have DirecTV, but I have a Toshiba 62hm196 HD set which was advertised as 1080p. I have since learned since buying a PS3 to show blu ray discs that this TV is not true 1080p. It can only accept a 1080i signal and allegedly changes it to a 1080p picture. I suspect that with either Dish or DirecTV I'd get an error message if I tried to download a 1080p picture. Hence, I am screwed no matter which satellite 1080p programming I try to receive.

Just to pile on here, I have a Sony KDS60XBR2 1080p input capable TV and it fails Dish's test.

Well it turns out, according to CNET, my TV only supports 1080p @ 60 fps. Bummer... BUT... I still LOVE this TV! :)

Sony LCD fails DISH test...

I have a Sony LCD and the Vip 722. Its model number is KDL-40V3000... I have the manual and it clearly says in the manual: HDMI IN 1/2 - HDMI: Video: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p. So I know my TV is compatible but the DISH test says it is not. I have used different HDMI cables to see if that helped but nothing has helped. I have a Samsung LCD (LN52A750) with another 722 hooked up to it and it plays the 1080p movie just fine. Maybe it has something to do with Sony. Who knows...

1080P/60

Same here. I downloaded I AM LEGEND last night and had no sound when viewing @ 1080p. Additionally, the picture was moved to the upper left hand corner of my HDTV. Just to make sure, I played a Blu-ray disc and it worked perfectly. I think there must be a bug in the new software, as this same thing has happened to people with various brands of HDTVs. However, when I switched the resolution on my ViP722 from 1080p to 1080i, everything was fine...I had sound and a perfect picture. I'm puzzled !:

Exactly the same here with my 622. I have a 50" panasonic and going to their website it looks like all the sets I looked up are 1080P/60. This may explain the picture being in the upper left corner but what about the audio? Its good that Blue Ray players do not have these issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)