CES Request

Is it ready for prime time? Yes, IMO.

Will it come to market this year? So I'm told, from several manufacturers. The StreamTV
system is 4K LED.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So Panasonic didn't make the list of good implementation of 4K? That surprises me. Did anyone get a chance to check them out?

Just curious your general opinions after looking them over today - is there a significant difference watching 4k versus todays 1080?
I'm wondering if 4k will end up like 3D did over the past couple years, if it will be a fad or become the norm.

Does 4k impact a general viewing experience so to speak.
Oh yes a big difference between 1080p and 4K!

4K reminds me of when you first saw HD.. the awe of how good it looked!

The issue I had here was that all the 4K sets looked good... and at most places you would be hard pressed to be able to tell one 4K set from another. There were others that did look better then others but that was mainly due to processing being done and the tweaks they did to the TV's to make the colors pop more then normal. Remember for a lot of booths there is a lot of light from above, so I feel some companies adjusted things to make things look better based on the lighting conditions.

Some looked poor but the demo content wasnt good and it seemed like they were powering all the tvs in their booth from the same media server. Some booths had some stutter in the picture at times and I have a feeling it was due to the Media Server setup and not the TV itself.

I think while some brands did look better (which can be based on a number of the factors above) that it seemed that any 4K TV is a good 4K TV and beats any 1080p TV hands down. While I am sure that some brands might be "better" for many folks the step up to 4K using any brand will be a nice upgrade.

Don.
You mention the glassless 3D.
How was 3D compared to glasses 3D? Either active or passive. Is it ready for primetime?
I saw a few of them yesterday and I would say YES all of them were ready for primetime. It fact it was surprisingly good. You could even be off center and see the 3D fine from any viewing location.

I saw a few of them yesterday and I would say YES all of them were ready for primetime. It fact it was surprisingly good. You could even be off center and see the 3D fine from any viewing location.

That is really good news. I am not a 3D fan, but that is really due to the glasses aspect. If they really have good glass-less 3D ready to go them I'm in.

Wasn't there a "sweet spot"? I don't understand how they can work at all without glasses, unless there are (possibly multiple) sweet spots.

For me standing to the left or right was as good as standing in the middle.

I don't know how they do it. It was good!

It seemed to my eyes that the Dolby 3D is about a year behind the StreamTV technology in resolution but both offered excellent 3D.
With both systems there are many horizontal sweet spots. If you slowly move right or left from a good 3D image, the depth tends to wobble slightly. To be really picky on this, no 3D is the perfect formula. Because there are many sweet spots, you can view the 3D along an arc in many locations. Even my camcorders glasses free 3D monitor screen has this multiple sweet spot for optimum depth. With any TV you always have trade offs. Just have to decide what is important to you. If you consider yourself not at all tolerant of anything less than perfection then maybe these glasses free systems are not yet for you. Everyone should see a real live store demo before spending on any system. No one should buy based on specs and advertising alone.

Yes I noticed that wobble if you moved as well but if you were watching like normal you didn't see it.

The wangle when moving positions was acceptable to me.

The only thing is I don't know if the displays I saw were 1080p or 4k. I do believe they were 1080p. I wasn't really focused on the pixels but was enjoying the amazing 3d picture which was popping off of the screen.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Does the glasses-free 3D require content specifically created for glasses-free 3D, or is it just a content delivery method that displays existing 3D broadcasts & 3D Bluray?

Were you guys watching true 3D or 2D to 3D on the glassless 3D.

2D, 3D, 2K, 4K - got it! Other new gadgets and product unhancements, please. :)

Oh, is anyone attending the following conference. I'm interested in what Tivo is doing with their Networked DVR and Cloud technologies:

"Wednesday, January 8 (2:15 p.m.): TiVo Vice President Joshua Danovitz will keynote: "Connecting to the Cloud @ CES " where he'll explain the competitive edge of cloud-based solutions compared to older, more localized methods of online content distribution (and moreover, how social networking influences how, when and what we stream); Wednesday, January 8, 2:15 p.m. in the Las Vegas Convention Center North Hall, N262"

Jim for the USA the answer is NOTHING.

We talked to them yesterday for over 45 minutes.

They are working with Virgin in the UK on a cloud based DVR service, where the stuff is recorded at the cable company (in this case Virgin) and stored on their serves there. The shows when played back are done over the internal Virgin Network and thus does not use your Internet bandwidth.

Scott, don't take this the wrong way, but thanks for NOTHING. :D Tivo has a pretty good working relationship with Comcast these days, so I'm hoping to see something come their way in the not too distant future.

Jim for the USA the answer is NOTHING.

We talked to them yesterday for over 45 minutes.

They are working with Virgin in the UK on a cloud based DVR service, where the stuff is recorded at the cable company (in this case Virgin) and stored on their serves there. The shows when played back are done over the internal Virgin Network and thus does not use your Internet bandwidth.

They did say other cable systems would be watching to see how this trial with Virgin goes... To me it sounds like it will be awhile until we see it here in the states.

Nope... normally they have a booth in the press room, but this year they are not here. I have not seen them on the floor either. Just checked the show directory... and no fios listed.

So Panasonic didn't make the list of good implementation of 4K? That surprises me. Did anyone get a chance to check them out?

Panasonic did have some good 4K but just equal to others. Hard to tell the subtleties such as their new 4:4:4 color space. By specs I would say that is an improvement but would like to see a side by side shoot out. They did show their own side by side and it was indeed more saturated color.

Panasonic did not demo any 3D that I saw.

Panasonic had no high end (prosumer) camcorders, only low end consumer palmcorders.

There best demo I liked was their 4K projector. But this one was huge and not really suited for consumer home theater. It was the only projector I saw demoed.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Does the glasses-free 3D require content specifically created for glasses-free 3D, or is it just a content delivery method that displays existing 3D broadcasts & 3D Bluray?

No. These glasses free systems work with any 3D format on input. ( except anaglyph, and those obsolete formats from days of old.

I ran across a new player in the glasses free game. The company is not a manufacturer but rather a technology developer. They are from Italy. Sysvel Technology.

The quality was very similar look to the StreamTV system and also suffered the depth wobble the others had.

image.jpg

This system uses a tiled video layer technology. I picked up some literature on this to study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)