Charlie Approaches DIRECTV about a Merger.

In simple terms, todays modern satellite receivers are really just computer that have satellite tuners attached. Thinking about it the only hardware that would need to be changed would be the smart card since one of them would be using different encryption.
I understand and agree with you :p based on the hardware side, like I mentioned. K9SAT confirmed what I was thinking too .... the hardware side is "common" and supports both systems in their firmware. How it's implemented is done on the software side, by Dish and DirecTV.

Prices went up for Rural customers with 2 sat providers and very close to City Slicker cable prices. That throws the whole keeping two satellite companies to keep prices down premise out the window. Wilh699's idea above would bring real competition.

Base package prices went up yes, but I have been able to lower my costs substantially over the past few years by either switching, or calling and asking for deals with that as a fallback position.

So yes, keeping two competing sat companies does keep my prices down in a way that one never could.

The writing on the wall for this merger to happen occurred when C-Band Dish owners were forced to go to the small dish. It was just a matter of time before the power of the consumer was absorbed and eliminated by those who provide the programming. This is about POWER and this is about MONEY. In the end, IMO, we win in terms of WHAT is going to be provided: true 1080p resolution and bit rates, plenty of transponder space for programing and internet access, etc. But we would lose big time in terms of price of product. Long gone are ala cart programing, multiple programing subscription companies, and a variety of options for types of dishes used. We live in a free enterprise big corporation society, and when we as consumers lose our options, it is both a win and a lose scenario. And I believe this merger will happen, because it is the way America operates. I for one didn't like it when I was forced out of the large C-band Dish market, and I don't like it this time either. Our choices are being taken away from us. And in the end, without choice, I believe the consumer loses. CHOICE is the consumer's friend. IMHO!

All those satellite spots in orbit, no need to duplicate local programming on both services, swm technology, E's DVR's, major negotiating power with the networks, this is a great idea. Now, how do you implement it?

I agree with you. I see more benefits than drawbacks. For those of you worried about losing sports because of Charlie would be very mistaken. No way they would do that but they may have the power as a combined force to put sports channels in a separate package.

I still do not think this merger would even get close to being approved. I see Comcast/TWC having a better chance since they overlap in a few markets and they are already planning on selling off the overlap. Dish/DIRECTV on the other hand eliminates a competitor in a market where there are only 2-4 competitors as it is.
Comcast/TWC can't merge because of Broadband.

The writing on the wall for this merger to happen occurred when C-Band Dish owners were forced to go to the small dish. It was just a matter of time before the power of the consumer was absorbed and eliminated by those who provide the programming. This is about POWER and this is about MONEY. In the end, IMO, we win in terms of WHAT is going to be provided: true 1080p resolution and bit rates, plenty of transponder space for programing and internet access, etc. But we would lose big time in terms of price of product. Long gone are ala cart programing, multiple programing subscription companies, and a variety of options for types of dishes used. We live in a free enterprise big corporation society, and when we as consumers lose our options, it is both a win and a lose scenario. And I believe this merger will happen, because it is the way America operates. I for one didn't like it when I was forced out of the large C-band Dish market, and I don't like it this time either. Our choices are being taken away from us. And in the end, without choice, I believe the consumer loses. CHOICE is the consumer's friend. IMHO!

You always have choice. Don't use a pay TV service, use antenna, use the internet or if TV is really important move to a place that has other option. Just because some companies merge together does not leave us powerless to make decisions. I suppose it affects the choices we have on things that we really like and want to have but not on what we need to have.

I didn't say we didn't have power to make a decision. Our number of choices are being eliminated. And that is never in the consumers overall best interest. But that is MY opinion. Others may have differing views on that. And that is their choice of opinion. Though it is not mine.

I didn't say we didn't have power to make a decision. Our number of choices are being eliminated. And that is never in the consumers overall best interest. But that is MY opinion. Others may have differing views on that. And that is their choice of opinion. Though it is not mine.

I agree that is generally true but with TV I just don't see it happening. I have yet to see Dish and DirecTV compete much over lowering their prices, only having the lowest advertised prices. When you get to the final prices it has never mattered, they raise prices almost every year no matter what and I don't see the format changing one bit once they merge.

A few big things I can think of:

FiOS
UVerse
Netflix
Hulu
Large increase in broadband access to allow IPTV/Over the Top services to be real competition
Adelphia remains being purchased by TWC and Comcast (a de-facto consolidation)
NBC-Comcast merger allowed
Comcast-TWC merger proposed

Honestly, if 4k TV ever became ubiquitous, I see this merger being a necessity. Neither would have the needed bandwidth. But combine the 1.5 Ghz of DBS Ku bandwidth at 101, 110, and 119, plus 2 Ghz of Ka bandwidth at 99 and 103, not to mention the chunk of FSS bandwidth at 118.7 (plus whatever gets done with 61.5, 72.7, 77, and 129, together 2 Ghz of DBS Ku bandwidth), they would have all the bandwidth they need to offer nearly any service.

One misconception. Directv HAS the bandwidth already for 4k. . That's why D14 and D15 are launching. Also you forget about reverse DBS. There is more bandwidth there as well.

So basically your saying poop on the rural folks.Let our constituents do that and see what happens.let's just herd everyone up and move them into the cities.

You choose to live there. No one forces you to live in the sticks.

I suspect that could work with DirecTV and people having SL5 dishes. But no Dish customer is properly pointed to 99/101/103 sats. Plus, I highly doubt Dish equipment has the capability to do Ka stuff along side Ku stuff. Maybe they would need something like a B-band converter from the pre-SWM days.

I am not sure if they would need SWM or not but my guess is yes they may need a Bband converter (speculation) You can also get 129 on a slimline with modification. That would be about the limit.

That's to one sided to work. What would be the incentive for the cable/satellite provider to ever agree to terms if the stations aren't allowed to pull their signal? The cable/satellite providers would just say no to every price increase no matter how small and there is nothing the content providers could do about it.

Sure they could, but the provider then could file an injunction in court forcing the content provider to pay. Then the courts decide. You are trying to keep the consumer from being affected in all of this by loosing their channel. It has worked in the past. Look at how long Dish and Disney negotiated without pulling anything and was out of contract. Directv does it all the time.

I have been thinking about the receivers being able to be reprogrammed to receive the other service. And yes I do think it can be done.

About the only thing that stumps me is if the DISH receivers can handle the KA birds from DIRECTV or if they would need a converter like some of the older DIRECTV boxes do.

Yes, most likely they will need b-band converters to change the lband freq at the IRD. This is my initial thought, I am not an expert in how the IRD's handle lband though.

I have been thinking about the receivers being able to be reprogrammed to receive the other service. And yes I do think it can be done.

About the only thing that stumps me is if the DISH receivers can handle the KA birds from DIRECTV or if they would need a converter like some of the older DIRECTV boxes do.

Here is food for thought, they possibly could do mega slots with KU, KA (with b band) and DBS freqs. Add in reverse DBS into that and that's alot of bandwidth. Allthough I am not sure how well it would work out and if there would be any bleed-over. That is something that someone with alot more knowledge than me would have to answer.

Sure they could, but the provider then could file an injunction in court forcing the content provider to pay. Then the courts decide. You are trying to keep the consumer from being affected in all of this by loosing their channel. It has worked in the past. Look at how long Dish and Disney negotiated without pulling anything and was out of contract. Directv does it all the time.

Dish and Disney agreeing to leave the channel up after the contract ran out is completely different than requiring channel owners to do that by law. Disney chose to leave it up because they were close to completing a deal and still working things out together. If there was a law saying that Disney wasn't allowed to pull their channels during a dispute Dish would have no incentive to get the deal done. Dish could just say no to every increase Disney asked for even if it was modest and their customers wouldn't complain because they would still have their channels. Disney would have no way to force them to negotiate for a new contract if Dish gets to keep the channels up whether they agree to an increase or not.

I'm not for a merge, but if it happens, the two entities could remain separate, though sharing satellites and programming contracts. That scenario could potentially open up the space for a 1080p broadcast standard.

You choose to live there. No one forces you to live in the sticks.

You sir,and I use that term loosely,are an idiot!:rolleyes: If you had your way,us folks in rural areas wouldn't even have power.

Having to change out all the dishes is probably the biggest obstacle. The length of time that would take will probably lead to a new unified box, perhaps a Hopper with DIRECTV's SWM technology, being rolled out at the same time. DIRECTV has the larger number of boxes in circulation, so it would not look good for the Dish boxes being supported in the long run.

I agree with you. I see more benefits than drawbacks. For those of you worried about losing sports because of Charlie would be very mistaken. No way they would do that but they may have the power as a combined force to put sports channels in a separate package.

I typically agree with you most of the time scherrman but,I have to disagree about that.Charlie has done it time,and time again.If someone rattles his cage,he won't hesitate to drop channels,especially sports.

Having to change out all the dishes is probably the biggest obstacle. The length of time that would take will probably lead to a new unified box, perhaps a Hopper with DIRECTV's SWM technology, being rolled out at the same time. DIRECTV has the larger number of boxes in circulation, so it would not look good for the Dish boxes being supported in the long run.

I'd bet Charlie works it so that Echostar ends up being the winner - whatever the internal tech is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts