Ciel 2 Tracking

FYI - the digital conversion is being postponed to mid-June, which would have been a more sensible date to begin with (instead of right in the middle of sweeps).

Not to get too off topic but one thing:

Actually as of right now, Sunday 2-1-09, the digital transition is still scheduled for Feb 17th. The house is going to vote again on the delay coming up this week.

Last I heard was the House shot it down once.

That was under a special rule. The Senate passed and now the Dems are bringing it back under regular rule (simple majority) for a vote this week. It's too bad as this will cost local stations a load of money in additional electricity, cancellation fees for tower crews, etc. Some viewers will also have a delay in getting the digital signal since some stations won't be able to move transmitting from UHF to claimed and reclaimed VHF frequencies and will be broadcasting from digital transmitters located on the sides of towers, since they cannot replace the analog transmitters at the top of the tower. Some stations have already ceased analog broadcasting so their viewers won't benefit from this in any case. This changeover has been announced and coming for a long time and people have had ample warning. You can bet there are politicians or friends of politicians that are going to benefit financially from this in some way. We're going to inconvenience the many for a few losers who couldn't get in gear.

That was under a special rule. The Senate passed and now the Dems are bringing it back under regular rule (simple majority) for a vote this week. It's too bad as this will cost local stations a load of money in additional electricity, cancellation fees for tower crews, etc. Some viewers will also have a delay in getting the digital signal since some stations won't be able to move transmitting from UHF to claimed and reclaimed VHF frequencies and will be broadcasting from digital transmitters located on the sides of towers, since they cannot replace the analog transmitters at the top of the tower. Some stations have already ceased analog broadcasting so their viewers won't benefit from this in any case. This changeover has been announced and coming for a long time and people have had ample warning. You can bet there are politicians or friends of politicians that are going to benefit financially from this in some way. We're going to inconvenience the many for a few losers who couldn't get in gear.

From what I've been reading, most stations are going to make the switch regardless. They are not bound by the ruling.

i have a great feeling this new sat will help us in caribbean. 61.5 is just too old for us so some transponders hard to get and 129 was good but wobbles cause signal drop.

i have a great feeling this new sat will help us in caribbean. 61.5 is just too old for us so some transponders hard to get and 129 was good but wobbles cause signal drop.
Not really the newer the satellite the more efficient the Conus and Spot Beams are leaving little signal spread beyond the intended borders

i will let you know when it is active. If stronger than 61.5 then it will be another option for the HD installs.

FYI - the digital conversion is being postponed to mid-June, which would have been a more sensible date to begin with (instead of right in the middle of sweeps).
While it may be postponed by legislative and executive action, it is likely that most stations will shut down their analog feeds on February 17th anyway.

Sorry still off topic

While it may be postponed by legislative and executive action, it is likely that most stations will shut down their analog feeds on February 17th anyway.

Unless there has been some change it was stripped off the stimulus program. Even so there is clause that allows stations to go ahead and do the conversion. Now if this is to be discussed more it should go to the OTA forum, here's a link: HD Over the Air (OTA) - SatelliteGuys.US

Ciel-2 has quite a tight CONUS footprint on the US beam coverage.

Attachments

• CIEL2_SB7.jpg
    CIEL2_SB7.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 423
ok the anticipation is killing me!!!!! so supposedly the satellite will be handed over to dish sometime tonight or wee hours of morning tomorrow? i am ready for this bird to be lit up and to send lil ol e-5 to the 148 graveyard already!! I still have faith in dish and def not gonna leave them anytime soon.

When Ciel-2 goes live and they light up the Reno DMA (#96) as shown in last weeks uplink tables, it will probably help out the customer base here. I know a lot of people who left because DirecTV carried the Reno HD LILs. I can't wait to see what they do Wednesday.

My question is, how the hell can they call it a Canadian satellite?

I know it has many spot beams but still...
The 129W location is a Canadian slot. The satellite is owned by Ciel , a Canadian satellite company and is leased to E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)