CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So who thinks that the projected subs shortfall of 30k is from the dropping of these channels or the reasons Dish gave about competition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So who thinks that the projected subs shortfall of 30k is from the dropping of these channels or the reasons Dish gave about competition?

I think it is 3 things that caused the shortfall, a shortfall btw, that D* also felt.

1. Younger folks just aren't all that interested in cable/sat for their viewing pleasure.
2. Bills going higher while wages aren't.
3. and much less but still somewhat significant, channel disputes.

The Turner dispute had zero impact on the numbers, they are for 3rd Q, a time period well before the channels went dark. I don't think there were any disputes of consequence during the quarter.

I have no idea how many quit just because of the channel dispute but I imagine it's very small. They may have had other reasons and the dispute may have just been what pushed them over the edge. I have yet to have a customer ask me what was happening to these channels. I have brought it up to a few customers and they did notice but they didn't seem to care. In fact, I've been busier the last two weeks than I have in over a month.

Not a saint, but he is the best that we could have. There is almost a $7 difference in the average cost per subscriber between dish and DTV. That is significant in the large scheme of things.
I disagree, dtv has Sunday Ticket, and Extra Innings, and it only costs $7 more per sub.Dish should be saving us more than $7 per sub, with all the we fight to keep your prices lower bravado.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I disagree, dtv has Sunday Ticket, and Extra Innings, and it only costs $7 more per sub.Dish should be saving us more than $7 per sub, with all the we fight to keep your prices lower bravado.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You still have to pay extra for Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings alone with paying $7 more per month for everything else. I think Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings is a huge waste of money.

Reactions: JTBenson
You still have to pay extra for Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings alone with paying $7 more per month for everything else. I think Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings is a huge waste of money.
I just looked at DirecTV to see if we could save some money. To match our current Dish setup (2x HD rooms, XTRA package) would run right at $100 after the discount months. I don't know if that includes taxes. We're currently paying $106 including taxes w/Dish. Sunday Ticket (at least for 2014) is included.

Bottom line is the cost is the same for comparable programming and equipment.

I just looked at DirecTV to see if we could save some money. To match our current Dish setup (2x HD rooms, XTRA package) would run right at $100 after the discount months. I don't know if that includes taxes. We're currently paying $106 including taxes w/Dish. Sunday Ticket (at least for 2014) is included.

Chances are you will have a very similar package with similar equipment and you will be paying slightly more with DirecTV. It's been pretty well documented here that you pay close to the same when you have higher end equipment and higher level programming with the two. What it comes down to is if one provider has any certain channels that the other doesn't have and which equipment you like better. I myself wouldn't give up my Hopper but I don't know much about DirecTV's equipment.

Chances are you will have a very similar package with similar equipment and you will be paying slightly more with DirecTV. It's been pretty well documented here that you pay close to the same when you have higher end equipment and higher level programming with the two. What it comes down to is if one provider has any certain channels that the other doesn't have and which equipment you like better. I myself wouldn't give up my Hopper but I don't know much about DirecTV's equipment.

Very true. The cost differential between the two isn't as much as it used to be unless you have one of the very low end packages that Dish offers.

I've had both services many times over the years and these days, solely from a equipment standpoint, Dish's Hopper/Joey/Super Joey is hands down better than D*'s newest stuff. That's not to say it is perfect, just much better.

That said, in a large installation you can end up with lots more tuners with a D* installation because you can mix a 5-tuner Genie with a whole house full of 2 tuner HRxx's. And the monthly fees would be cheaper, while the package pricing might be higher. But then you have old looking GUI that is essentially the same thing it was with the old text UI, and relatively slow operation of the gear.

For me, the installation can be very small. Currently have a Hopper+Super Joey and had running a single HR44 Genie. 5 tuners from each service, with an edge to Dish because of PTAT. Cost of each service would be nearly identical though D* is seemingly more conducive to bigger discounts along the way in my experience.

I had always been told that with the genie, 5 tuners was max. You cannot add more than that, and it requires "genie minis"

please i hope this comes to a deal i am getting tired of all these disputes enough is enough

I had always been told that with the genie, 5 tuners was max. You cannot add more than that, and it requires "genie minis"

You've been told wrong. The way D* does their whole home you can have a mix of one Genie with Minis, HRxx DVRs and Hxx receivers. Much more flexible if you need a lot of tuners for lots of people to watch/record many different shows at the same time.

I don't have a Hopper (612 & 211), and don't really see a need for one. It's possible the costs I got from Direct didn't include taxes. In which case it might be slightly more expensive ($5? $10?). Are the various disputes worth that?

I don't have a Hopper (612 & 211), and don't really see a need for one. It's possible the costs I got from Direct didn't include taxes. In which case it might be slightly more expensive ($5? $10?). Are the various disputes worth that?

It depends on the channels. For me it's not so much all the channels or even the price, it's what fits my needs the best. Currently I have a Hopper with Sling, Hopper 2000, Wireless Joey and regular Joey that I also have mirrored to my bar TV. I also have an OTA module on each Hopper along with and external hard drive. I enjoy using PTAT once in a while, enjoy using Sling occasionally and I LOVE the Transfer ability.

For all the things I listed above and even more I'm forget I would not give it up because of channel disputes. Even when Dish lost BTN for a few weeks and I wasn't able to watch the Iowa game I still didn't want to switch, I was pretty upset though and got a hefty discount from Dish. As you can see, there is a lot more to it than just some channels for me and I don't see any other provider being able to offer it to me.

About 4 months ago, I didn't have a hopper either and was like some of you . I didn't see a need for one either. However, since I have gotten it, you would have to ply it from my cold dead hands to get me to give it up. I don't care if cable or DirecTV is $50 less a month. It is superior to anything out there that it is worth any extra money I would have to pay. Good thing is that I am not paying any more than I would for cable or DirecTV.

It depends on the channels. For me it's not so much all the channels or even the price, it's what fits my needs the best. Currently I have a Hopper with Sling, Hopper 2000, Wireless Joey and regular Joey that I also have mirrored to my bar TV. I also have an OTA module on each Hopper along with and external hard drive. I enjoy using PTAT once in a while, enjoy using Sling occasionally and I LOVE the Transfer ability.

For all the things I listed above and even more I'm forget I would not give it up because of channel disputes. Even when Dish lost BTN for a few weeks and I wasn't able to watch the Iowa game I still didn't want to switch, I was pretty upset though and got a hefty discount from Dish. As you can see, there is a lot more to it than just some channels for me and I don't see any other provider being able to offer it to me.

Same here (except watching Iowa games).

Can you break that down, I come up higher for Direct (106.99 for you 109.99 for me I would have an RSN fee of $3 added) and I see lower for DISH, $86 Top 200 and two VIP 612 DVR receivers)

Status
Please reply by conversation.