Comet TV

If I remember right ejb is in Vermont. They have 5 stations (big 4 + PBS)
two are owned by your favorite company...Nexstar
one is locally owned (as in the only TV station the company owns)
This gonna sound dumb coming out my end but he has a me, movies and a retro. I seen the ABC/Fox are owned by Nexstar. Well He might get lucky on the WCAX CBS or the Retro station, aint happening on the others, he still has a shot....

The retro station doesnt cover Burlington so that is why I excluded it

And most affiliates other than the ones who have a stake in it (Sinclair and Titan) will probably wait until after it launches before they would think about carrying it

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Anyone know if Comet is coming to Portland, OR? Our Sinclair station KATU is pretty filled up with MeTV and GetTV.

Thanks,
Alan
Sinclair also owns the Unvision affiliate in the area. I noticed they have MundoMax (formerly MundoFox) and Grit. It could possibly go there (replacing MundoMax???)

6 hours a day of paid programming though? On the other hand they at least put it from 4 - 10 AM, so probably not a time many Sci-Fi fans would be bothered. Wonder if local stations are allowed to cover that with something else like news? Or does each affiliate have to clear the entire network 24x7?

6 hours a day of paid programming though? On the other hand they at least put it from 4 - 10 AM, so probably not a time many Sci-Fi fans would be bothered. Wonder if local stations are allowed to cover that with something else like news? Or does each affiliate have to clear the entire network 24x7?

Well, think of it this way: That's 18 HOURS of Sci-Fi programming in every day!

Affiliate list sort of available, I've updated based on it.

Unfortunately, the zip codes don't line up with the stations, so if no call sign is given, it's nearly impossible to relate the two together. I've done the best I can in a short amount of time before bed.

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=network_search&network=Comet+TV

Also, in places where Get or Grit appear to be bumped by Comet, I haven't updated the listing. It also appears that a group besides Titan/NRJ and Sinclair is involved, though I can't pin down who it is.

All I can say is work in progress.

- Trip

Couldn't sleep; kept going. Figured out zip codes were in 2014-2015 DMA order, but stations in 2015-2016 DMA order, so I now know the relationship.

The mystery third player may be Tribune, based on the appearance of New Orleans, Hartford, Denver, and Indianapolis in the list without a matching station identified. Atlanta is also represented on the list but has no Tribune, Titan/NRJ, nor Sinclair stations, and may be WANN-CD (which carries half-sister networks [via MGM] This TV and The Works) or some other one-off deal.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
I thought KTUL might replace that 7 day weather forecast on 8.2 with Comet instead of bumping RTV. They would get more bang for their buck that way. They never use the weather subchannel. It's just a static 7 day forecast with some occasional video in a side window.

I wonder where it will go in Minneapolis. Sinclair owns CW23 (WUCW) and they have Get & Grit as subs,
I noticed you have it replacing GetTV in some markets. That may worry some folks as GetTv is where Sinclair usually runs its ASN sports programming. I dont see them pre-empting their network (Comet) for something else they own (ASN...maybe they will move the programming to Grit)

oh and before someone gets their undies in a bunch and starts a rampage about Nexstar adding it to WUHF Rochester, NY and oh will it come elsewhere??
Sinclair owns it. They let Nextar run it ;)

I extracted it from the underlying code that powers that zip code search. The stations are wrong for the zip codes anyway.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
oh and before someone gets their undies in a bunch and starts a rampage about Nexstar adding it to WUHF Rochester, NY and oh will it come elsewhere??
Sinclair owns it. They let Nextar run it ;)
Dude Be nice, yes I know about the rochester station getting comet. I am trying to get over the chicken pox and the meds are killing me, but I appreciate your hospitality always....

I thought KTUL might replace that 7 day weather forecast on 8.2 with Comet instead of bumping RTV. They would get more bang for their buck that way. They never use the weather subchannel. It's just a static 7 day forecast with some occasional video in a side window.
According to rabbitears, Comet is on the 8.2 and RTV staying on 8.3

Cant wait to see which station in Louisiana will see it launch first.

I found this interesting also: out of the 7 markets that lost Livewell, 5 will have stations launching comet (I counted the Flint station as part of the Lansing DMA since they are close enough).