Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well folks today is the day for my U VERSE install. My install was scheduled betwen 8am and 10am. At 8:30 I got a call that they were on their way, and because I am one of the first installs they will be bringing a crew with them so that they can teach them how to do an install. They said they would be here at 9am.

Promptly at 9am they arrived with 2 vans. 1 being a AT&T van the second being an AT&T U VERSE van.

I took them for a tour of my house (the land that coax built) since I am always testing things there is miles of cable around the house and outside, and 95% of it working.

I showed them where I wanted things installed.

They made me turn on each TV to show them the TV was working before they touched it.

From there they took out a laptop computer where I was shown a PDF of the U Verse Terms of Service. I was given a plastic pen and signed the computer screen. With a click of a button my signature was tranmitted and accepted by AT&T.

I honestly thought they were going to run a coax from the street to my house, but this is not the case it comes over the standard phone lines. But this is a challange for them as I do not have AT&T for my local phone service, so now they are outside wiring me with an AT&T connection. I will not be getting telephone or internet from AT&T.

I was told that they will still be using a 2 WIRE Gateway box inside the house just as they would if I were getting internet.

One of the techs just came in the house and told me that he just was informed the video server was down for our area, and that may slow down the install. He said they are working on the video server now so hopefully while they are working it will be fixed in time.

Attachments

• uverse2.jpg
    uverse2.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 2,184
  • uverse3.jpg
    uverse3.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 2,055
The install continues, there is a problem with our line (Its not connected at the pole) so then are waiting for a line guy to come and hook it up.

They have run the lines outside and are now cleaning up the install.

I am very pleased with the installers and trainees.

I am still working on programming the talking head. Like an idiot I removed all the code from last year instead of just commenting it out. :)

The installers are now bringing in the cables and are putting in Wall Plates. They are still waiting for the line tech to come up as these guys are not allowed up on the poles.

Well the guys are now taking lunch.

The line tech came out and hooked us up to the pole. They were having some issues getting a signal so they took another signal meter to it and we immediately had signal, come to find out the other meter was in the wrong mode.

We got a good signal here operating at 27MB, we are 1,200 feet from the VRAD unit. And we are only using less then 40% of what the line can handle.

After the guys have lunch they will be coming in and installing the equipment and we should be good to go. We are told the video server is back online so when they hook it up we should have smooth sailing. :)

More later, but here is more pictures of the install.

Attachments

• uverse41.jpg
    uverse41.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3,476
  • uverse42.jpg
    uverse42.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 3,738
  • uverse43.jpg
    uverse43.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 4,238
  • uverse51.jpg
    uverse51.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 3,767
  • uverse5.jpg
    uverse5.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 31,517
  • uverse6.jpg
    uverse6.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 978
  • uverse7.jpg
    uverse7.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 4,172
Looking forward to your review, Scott. I live in Milford, and have been looking for an alternative to Cablevision that will give me similar value.

Looking good so far! I am also looking forward to your review, as AT&T U-verse will hopefully be coming to us soon.

Well folks the install is over finally. Through no fault of the installers (who I should add I was very impressed with) there was an issue with provissioning the equipment by AT&T which kept them here way longer then they should have been here.

They would not leave though until I was happy.

I have played with it for for about 20 minutes and there are some things I like about it (ALOT) while there are a few things that I dont plus I have found a few bugs. I have not been able to test Video on Demand as that service is having an outtage at the moment.

Anyways today is my Sons 4th Birthday and while he is sick he wants to go to Chuck E Cheese, so look for more on U Verse later. :)

Well we got home and Video on Demand is up and running.

My 4 year old already found the PBS Sprout Channel (didn't that go off the air? Guess not)

There wont be much of an update at the moment as I really dont have time to use it, tommorow when I get home I need to pack and get ready to go to CES, and Friday when I get home I need to bring the dog to boarding and the kids to my parents house, then it is off to Vegas for CES for a week. :)

I will note this, I only got TV Only, no broadband service, and no telephone service. Because of this somehow I am able to get HD on both boxes at the same time. :)

Please look for my full review when I return from CES. (Or a review from my father who will be watching the house (and TV) and the kids while we are away) :D

I would have expected them to offer more since your photo was showing a 70mb connection. I know that much of that will be reserved for Video but they could possibly use some of it for a faster internet connection.

If it's like their regular ADSL service you can expect to see only about 5Mbps down due to ATM and PPPoE overhead, in addition to the normal IP overhead.

Nope there is no PPPoE, which is one of the benefits of their internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)