Connecticut U VERSE Install

I am not sure how Scott is able to watch HD on two streams at once; I will look into it.

Probably because he isn't using U-verse for internet, only TV. Until they can get me 3 HD streams at once U-verse will be a no go for me. I need the ability to record two HD streams on the DVR downstairs while still being able to have a different HD stream go to the other HDTV in the house.

That is one messy, discusting nid, im suprised they dident change it out. that dates back to what, the SNET days? and if i dident look closly at first the linemans truck almost looks like an old verizon truck. but its actualy an old snet truck, im suprised there is still boom trucks around from that long ago. would of thought there would of been a newer one since sbc had gobbled them up, in our area there is hardly anything left over from the ameritech days.

The nid was on the house when we moved in here about 5 years ago.

The installers thought the reason why were were getting 2 HD streams (one on each box) was because we did not have the internet service, so that extra bandwidth was going to the TV instead of the Internet.

To be honest I have not tried it again since install day to get HD on two TV's. (I just got back in a few moments ago from Las Vegas for the week so I haven't played with it.)

Looking forward to your full review and screen shots. The inability to get 2 HD streams simultaneously is the deal-breaker for me right now.
Gary,

Screen Shots are posted in the pub member forum at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=85903

I just got back from Las Vegas and am now working on editing the videos after that I will writeup my review and also make the screen shots available for all. :)

So that means you can't have 2 (or more) TVs getting HD at the same time? For example if I wanted to watch HDNet on one set and a roommate watching CBS HD on another, that's not possible?

Hello all, I am a U-verse installer employed by AT&T. As it stands currently, you get 4 streams into your house. That means that you can watch or record up to 4 different things at the same time. If you try to watch or record another program you must interrupt one of the streams in progress. With HD programming, you normally can substitute one HD program for one of the streams. So, you can watch or record 1 HD channel, and watch or record up to 3 SD channels. I am not sure how Scott is able to watch HD on two streams at once; I will look into it.

As regards the channel line-up, there are some features we have that allow you to change the order of the channels in the guide. This does not, however, change the channel number.

So that means you can't have 2 (or more) TVs getting HD at the same time? For example if I wanted to watch HDNet on one set and a roommate watching CBS HD on another, that's not possible?
The first night I was installed I was able to watch two different HD channels (one on each TV) and it WORKED!

However last night I had MHD on in the living room and went up stairs and wanted to watch another HD channel and was told that the HD stream was in use on the other box (it did give me an option of taking control of the HD stream which I did)

aT&T U VERSE

Scott
What are you using for Internet and Local Telco Service now, not at&t??
Scott will you be dumping dish network now????

I am asking as I have 3mb att dsl and home phone, very happy no problems here, would maybe like to get uverse when it comes here to the chicago burbs..

The first night I was installed I was able to watch two different HD channels (one on each TV) and it WORKED!

However last night I had MHD on in the living room and went up stairs and wanted to watch another HD channel and was told that the HD stream was in use on the other box (it did give me an option of taking control of the HD stream which I did)

I can see it now. You have some buddies over to watch the Super Bowl in HD and at 9:00 your wife decides to watch the Food Network HD on another HDTV and poof, she steals your HD stream of the Super Bowl.:eek:

The lack of bandwidth to handle multiple HD streams is the biggest issue that I have with AT&T's service. IMHO, their decision to stick with copper to the home will backfire big time on them and they'll have to end up going fiber aka FIOS anyway, wasting all the $'s they've spent on VRAD's.

The lack of bandwidth to handle multiple HD streams is the biggest issue that I have with AT&T's service. IMHO, their decision to stick with copper to the home will backfire big time on them and they'll have to end up going fiber aka FIOS anyway, wasting all the $'s they've spent on VRAD's.
Yup. Another glaring example from Corporate America of that age-old saying "Penny-wise and Dollar-foolish".

Why are they capping it at 1 HD stream? As Scott's pictures showed, his line can do 70mbit according to the testing unit. Thats more than enough for at least 2 HD streams and some SD streams.

Also, didnt ATT recently announce an increase in bandwidth on their U-verse? Thought I read where they found how to get 60% more bandwidth. And I could just be dreaming too.

Scotts home maybe very close to the VRAD, so he can get that speed on his line, but someone else at the far end of the distance from the VRAD probably won't. So to make things simple, every one is capped at what AT&T engineers say the speed would be for the longest run. That way they don't have folks calling to say why can so and so get 2 HD streams while I can get only one is my guess.

As for increased speeds, what I've seen is AT&T has said they could bond two sets of copper lines to double the speed, assuming that you have two copper lines available from the VRAD to your home. Don't know if they've decided that's the approach that their going to take yet or not.

pic of a VRAD in Connecticut

pic of a VRAD in Connecticut

2q0t7af.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)