considering switching from Direct to Dish

Note that the 3-hour skip exactly corresponds to the display size of 3 hours on the hopper.
The 24-hour skip takes you from day to day. You can enter the number of hours and the FWD, too.
-Ken

It doesn't seem to work on my 722 (no k). I press 8, then FWD, and it does nothing. After a few seconds, then the guide goes to channel 8.

When I press 8 and then Skip, it skips the 24 hours just as Skip is supposed to. Does it only work on the 722K?

this is a terrible idea.....that's just what they're expecting you to do; indeed have you trained to do- go back and forth from one to the other, every two years......we all see the dishes from 'both' on all the houses.....

all this indicates is that there is way too little competiton in dbs.....and you are being ripped off even when 'working' them

this is a terrible idea.....that's just what they're expecting you to do; indeed have you trained to do- go back and forth from one to the other, every two years......we all see the dishes from 'both' on all the houses.....

all this indicates is that there is way too little competiton in dbs.....and you are being ripped off even when 'working' them
Yes, but you are being ripped off less than with cable.

First to our OP, ask your parents to go to this link to create the referal code:
http://www.mydish.com/customer-programs/my-referrals/?

Second to CEJ700 ... I certainly understand people's disgruntled feelings with each provider .. I left dish 2 years ago because of all the BS they were having with FX and other networks during contract negotiations. In my case I had been so disgusted with dish's movement into "DishOnline" and that its control and use of the SLING was sub par and at times so frustrating I'd liked to take a bat to it.

BUT ... in this "directv has dish beat" ... what exactly do you mean? Perhaps you're a sports fan, and that's where Directv shines .. but beyond that, I'm leaving Direct, and returning to dish because Directv's "remote dvr" functionality is absolute bullsh*t. Their Directv2PC app is THE absolute worst P.O.S. I have ever seen. At least, at the time, when Sling Adapter functionality was working, it had zero limits for what you could watch from the DVR... Directv? 80 to 90% of what is on my DVR is *NOT* watchable remotely, replacing TV Show Titles with "Title Unavailable" because of some BS DRM issues... and its only usable inside the house, not outside .. leaving you with the only options to get content as from Directv's online component, where some content is not available, even if you DO have it recorded to your dvr.

Dish's Online listing of your timers, is also superior to Directv, where on Directv all you can do is set a timer to record, you can't see any of your DVR's existing timers..

SO.. CEJ700 .. exactly what is it that makes you say Directv is better?

To our O.P. I've got my welcome back install on Friday ... and will try to post that night or saturday anything that's failed my expectations.

-T

PS/Edit ... oh and one MORE thing that's got me fuming over Directv... I've the HR700/34 (slighly older genie?) and after the first year, one of the updates has left my box with constant remote problems.. like it doesn't see the remote when I'm pressing keys, then suddenly it picks up 5 or 10 presses at once..

I will say the thing I liked most about Directv's DVR, was their skip forward option, either jump or visually accelerate through the commercial when 30second jump was pressed. This allowed us to see a sped up version of the commercials, so that if we saw something intriguing, and many many times we did, we could stop the skip, jump back and press play to SEE that interesting commercial.. :)
It's especially helpful to ffd through huddles in NFL games.

I did the same thing only to switch back after 3 months. The hopper from dish is great but other than that, Directv has Dish beat, some would say different. Make sure Dish has the stations you watch.

I gave in to the pressure to switch from Dishnet to DTV 2 years ago and have been sorry ever since. I'm curious why you feel DTV is better. I have NOTHING but trouble with the remotes. (Both have similar problems, so the problem is in how it communicates with the box.) Features I miss with Dish was the ability to rename episodes or programs or selected portions of them and put them in my personal folder which I could also name. Made it so easy to find what I had saved. I also liked that they stood behind their equipment without charging a monthly fee. That may have changed in the 2 years I've been gone. There may be many changes, some good and some bad. Any comments?

:welcome to Satelliteguys songbergs!

I'm a Directv customer because of the programming. I'm a Yankee fan and Dish doesn't have the YES network. Aside some differences in the channel lineups, there are reasons to have one over the other. Most will say the picture quality is slightly better on Directv, but that Dish has better equipment.

I switched from DirecTv to DISH for a short period of time and had the hopper and joeys. It was alright, but nothing spectacular. I got an offer from DirecTv that was too good to pass up and they paid my ETF. I now have the Genie with two mini's. It's a great system and for me, a better system than the Hopper/Joeys. That's just my opinion. Next time my contract is over with DirecTv I will definitely negotiate to stay, since I am reading that many have been successful in doing so.
Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

after experiencing Dish for a couple weeks now i thought i would give some observations on Dish vs Direct.

picture quality: a lot has been said about this subject. in my opinion, Direct has the edge in picture quality. and viewing on a 110" screen, the difference is noticeable. however, in another thread someone said that they got a better picture after changing the resolution setting from 1080i to 720p. so i tried that and it definitely improved the picture. not sure what is going on there but it improved it enough that i'm now satisfied with the picture quality.

channels: i had the choice extra package with Direct and now have the AT200 with Dish. i lost a few channels and gained a few channels but none that i consider essential.

equipment:i had 2 HR24s with Direct. they were solid units for the most part although i had to constantly reset one of them in the last couple months. i now have a hopper and joey. they are much quicker than the HR24. hopefully they don't slow down over time. i like the hopper and joey better for sure but i guess my comparison isn't equal to what Direct offers (Genie).

the guide: with the Direct guide i liked the color scheme better. i also like the info better. for instance when you have a show highlighted, at the top it showed the year, actors and description. the Dish guide only shows the description. you have to hit the info button to see the year and actors. also, when you press the Direct info button, there is much more "info" available. i liked clicking on the actors list. it would show you some biographical info on each actor. Dish doesn't have that. the biggest thing i like better with the Dish guide is that it shows you 3 hours upcoming whereas Direct only shows 1.5 hours. oh, and another thing i like better with the Direct guide is that it goes a full 2 weeks in the future. Dish goes 8 days.

that's my basic pros and cons...for now :)

Regarding the guide data, I've always wondered why Dish only goes out 8-9 days, when usually 2 weeks is available from most other sources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)