Constant sound drop on NGHD on 622 Recording, anyone else?

I have only had this problem with recorded shows from NGHD over the optical audio. You can skip back and it will play correctly the second time but eventually drop again. I think the DD audio is being overcompressed and the timecode is slipping. It is definitely the DD audio - I can turn to the analog out and it is fine.

It is quite annoying and I do hope E* is fixing this problem quickly.

Constant audio stutter on HD recording

I get constant audio stutter (drop-outs) on some HD channels - namely, NGHD, ES2HD, HDNET, sometimes on DSCHD. Interestingly, it never happens on HBOHD.
I experimented with noting the the amount of time taken off the total time left on the hard disk. With NGHD, a 64 minute program deducted 2:59 hours. On HBOHD, a 64 minute program deducted 4:12 hours. This would seem to indicate that there is much higher compression on some HD channels than others. In fact, too much compression - so much that we get audio stutter.

That's my take on this situation. Dish techs claim that this is an "oddity." When I get to a senior tech, he just wanted to give me a new 622 box. I don't think the problem is with the box, but with Dish trying to cram too much data into too little bandwidth.

If the new software coming this week doesn't fix this, I'm going to have to consider dropping Dish and buying some good books.:mad:

"With NGHD, a 64 minute program deducted 2:59 hours. On HBOHD, a 64 minute program deducted 4:12 hours. This would seem to indicate that there is much higher compression on some HD channels than others. In fact, too much compression - so much that we get audio stutter."

MPEG4. NGHD is using MPEG4 and HBOHD is using MPEG2.......It's anybody getting the same problems on FoodHD, HGTVHD and StarzHD for example. Those channels are using MPEG4.

Yep, Navychop - already doing that, too. I've noticed some folks think the toslink audio connection is at fault - I use that to pipe to the AVR and also pipe to the Sony HDTV separately using HDMI - the stutter happens on both of these; I'm forced to conclude there is nothing wrong with my toslink or HDMI.

When speaking to Dish techs, I get the impression they know all about it but don't want to admit that Dish is deploying a failed technical solution.

They've probably been told to buy time or whatever.

Anyway- welcome! I'm sure you'll find plenty of helpful people here. And once in a while, you may catch one of us in a bad mood. :p

I did some more checking and the audio drop is severely pronounced on NG HD but it is also less pronounced on HBO HD & Showtime HD. I haven't checked the others but I am hoping that the new software upgrade takes care of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)