Coolsat 6000 bit the dust

Status
Please reply by conversation.

handymantoo57

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 10, 2011
Brookville, KS
My Coolsat 6000 is also dead, power supply seems to have proper voltages on the outputs, no caps are popped. I'm still troubeshooing it but if anyone has some ideas I'd appreciate it.

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
if it's the same as the 5000 the voltages are silk screened by the power connector,and I think the service manual had a schematic.

handymantoo57

Feb 10, 2011
Brookville, KS
The voltages are next to the connectors and measure as indicated. Before it died the screen was green. An initial re-start brought it back, but the next day it was totally dead. I've removed and check several caps on the PS board and they seem fine.

sergei

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 29, 2007
iowa
The voltages are next to the connectors and measure as indicated. Before it died the screen was green. An initial re-start brought it back, but the next day it was totally dead. I've removed and check several caps on the PS board and they seem fine.

Unless you've got the right type capacitor testing equipment that can put a load to the capacitor it would be better for you to just go out and buy new ones and replace them all as otherwise your just wasting time.

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
Unless you've got the right type capacitor testing equipment that can put a load to the capacitor it would be better for you to just go out and buy new ones and replace them all as otherwise your just wasting time.
Why replace parts if the voltages are good?
I would see if the rs232 port still works.

sergei

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 29, 2007
iowa
Why replace parts if the voltages are good?
I would see if the rs232 port still works.

Forty plus year as a Senior Field Engineer and a Electronic repairman has shown me that just because the voltages look good on a volt meter doesn't mean there's not a problem with the output and only measuring the voltage with a oscilloscope will tell you if the voltage from the circuit is clean. Myself I have both a Tektronix oscilloscope and a Sencore LC-53 capacitor tester, but there's time when it's just easier and cheaper to replace especially when working on boards with more than one layer.

If the unit appears dead I'm not sure what you'd get by checking the RS232 port as checking the output of the power supply will get you all the answers, I doubt that it's loading down the power supply but if it can be unplugged that would at least take a load off.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Measure AC volts on the PS output lines. You may have one, or more, with excessive ripple. Dried out caps will do this. And it's true, they don't have to be bulged, they may "look" normal. A DC voltmeter or ohmmeter cannot determine if a cap is good or bad. But measuring the AC ripple can suggest a bad cap.

handymantoo57

Feb 10, 2011
Brookville, KS
I've discovered the LNB voltage is not present at the antenna input. U201 is an adjustable voltage regulator, does anyone know what its output voltage is supposed to be? This one measures less than 2 volts output with an input voltage of 22 volts.

sergei

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 29, 2007
iowa
I've discovered the LNB voltage is not present at the antenna input. U201 is an adjustable voltage regulator, does anyone know what its output voltage is supposed to be? This one measures less than 2 volts output with an input voltage of 22 volts.

If the receiver is still not showing a display then more than likely it's not going to show anything...so what's the status of the unit? Do you have a working display?

handymantoo57

Feb 10, 2011
Brookville, KS
That's why I suspect that U201 is not working for some reason, perhaps it supplies the 15 volts that is missing at the LNB input and this voltage may feed other circuits as well.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
If it's an adjustable VR, it's most likely adjusted by the uP for 13/18v at the F connector. Can u read the numbers on U201? find the spec sheet online. I think you'll trace the control line back to the uP. And since the uP is not running, the VR will be basically, Just a hunch, shut off. ?

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
by default with the processor not running,lnb voltage could be turned off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)