Couple of dave questions (install and foxsports) by a soon to be subscriber

Status
Please reply by conversation.
chill.....I was making a note. Back when the hackers were big that is what they called Directv, Dish and Bell (Dave, Charlie and Bev). Its like when people post and say something like this
"I am trying to aim my D**h dish at the campsite" to which I usually respond "no need to put ** in the words...well if they're swear words thats different" ;)

No problem, hey it was all in good fun, ice.;) I wondered what sort of response I'd get to calling it Dave anyway. People are a lot more light hearted here versus over at satf-- Things get heated there pretty quick, enjoy this place much better.

Got your PM. Thanks.

Edit: So pipe needs to measure 2" outside diameter? Ok, pipe is usually measured by the ID, so I may be good already. I'll have to check the O.D....

Last edited:
I have the 4DTV on right now on C3 and comparing the master to Direct. You know what win's and it's not the small dish. Something most probably don't know about Soapnet, they will be going away next year sometime. Disney is going to change that channel to a new Disney. I think it's called Disney JR or something like that. I guess Soapnet don't make enough money.
QUOTE]

Well I know my wife will be pleased with that, guess she'll have to keep watching west coast feeds on c-band. Guess she'll also be fine leaving the bud up too since she'll still have use for it.

Funny you mention C3, which are masters. We won't even be able to sub to Scripps or Discovery Nets after 01-04 so I guess the pizza will win by default, oh well. Changing satellites never bothers me, I can only watch one program at a time. Only time I channel surf is on the radio...

Edit: So pipe needs to measure 2" outside diameter? Ok, pipe is usually measured by the ID, so I may be good already. I'll have to check the O.D....

yeah the pipe needs to be 2" outside diameter. I know the HD dish would fit on my Shaw Direct 75e mast which is also 2" OD (I have a motorized FTA system on that mast so cant use that) ;)

edit: just verified...had the mount for a slimline laying around and measuring its 1 7/8" when the nuts are fully tightened and 2+ inches untightened

Last edited:
I have the 4DTV on right now on C3 and comparing the master to Direct. You know what win's and it's not the small dish. Something most probably don't know about Soapnet, they will be going away next year sometime. Disney is going to change that channel to a new Disney. I think it's called Disney JR or something like that. I guess Soapnet don't make enough money.
QUOTE]

Funny you mention C3, which are masters. We won't even be able to sub to Scripps or Discovery Nets after 01-04 so I guess the pizza will win by default, oh well. Changing satellites never bothers me, I can only watch one program at a time. Only time I channel surf is on the radio...

Pizza only wins when a master isn't ITC which may happen more after they think we all went away or sitting on W5 :) Waiting for the dish to move never bugged me either.

To be totally honest the only problem I have with Direct is the rain fade when a cell goes through that is red on the radar. It will kill it for 5 to 45 minutes depending on the intensity of the moisture in the clouds. The 4DTV will show me a 99 quality and Direct will give me a 721 message "searching for satellite signal" zero signal. Besides that Direct is tops in my book as far as how it works and my experiences so far with customer service. If the rain fade don't bother you you'll be 100% satisfied. BTW my normal signals on Direct are 96-100 about 50 is threshold.

yeah the pipe needs to be 2" outside diameter. I know the HD dish would fit on my Shaw Direct 75e mast which is also 2" OD (I have a motorized FTA system on that mast so cant use that) ;)

edit: just verified...had the mount for a slimline laying around and measuring its 1 7/8" when the nuts are fully tightened and 2+ inches untightened

I verified my pole size when I got home today, it is 1 1/4 pipe. OD is 1 11/16", so I'll have to sleeve it with a piece of 2", not sure if they would go for this, may have to drop a new 1 1/2" pipe (which should be approx 2" OD). Maybe they will find everything in order and just install the boxes and dish and authorize them, I have done all of my own installs and never had any problems with dishes getting out of plumb or spinning of mount or on mount. Will post results after all is said and done of course. Thanks Ice.

I had a cool installer he let me do what I wanted. All he actually did was authorize the box and get an education on C band and FTA. We BS'ed more than anything. I hope you get a cool one too. It's allot of fun showing them SD masters and they think it's HD :D

I was talking today to Mike Kohl about Direct and rain fade. He suggested upping my Direct dish to a 6 foot!
unless you are springing for a 6 foot offset dish, slapping a DBS LNB on a Prime Focus LNB doesnt help any...been there tried that. Actually had worse results

Hey guys, I am probably going to bite the bullet and sub to DirectV within next few weeks, with loss of masters and ability to move my bud if I buy W5 4dtv package after 1/1/11.

I have a couple of questions for new install of Direct,

1. I have an FTA H-H dish mounted on a 1 1/4"(?) pipe, will they more than likely be able to mount the dish on this pole and use existing quad shield RG6?

2. I would like to get FoxSports Detroit, live in South Georgia though. I see I can sub to FoxSports several channels for about $15 extrra per month, would this include abilty to watch games or do you have to have Extra Innings/NBA package . etc? I don't know what good it would be to have the FS channels if you can't watch any games.:confused:

Yeah unlike when we used to subscribe to the rsn's on c band satellite and get the out of market games when NPS etc got the rights, on DTV you have to subscribe to one of the sportstickets ( MLB EI etc) to get the out of market games. Just subscribing to the rsn's won't get you out of market games just like the old days on c band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts