[COX] Hampton Roads, VA - Cox

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
I noticed yesterday that Cox has added HBO to channels in the 300's when usually they are located in the 100's. I asked the CSR what is going on with these channels and he told me that usually that means that Cox is making room for more channels. Hopefully this means we will be getting some more of our locals in HD. Did anyone else in Hampton Roads, Va notice this?

In my neighborhood Cox was having service outages, but now it has been resolved. Cox had to replace the main line cables to all their junction boxes. I left Voom and went back to Cox after they have fixed their problem.

I was told yesterday that Cox is planning on adding more HD channels by the end of this quarter. I am hoping that we can get Fox and NBC added by July. Just sitting back and going to wait.

I ntoiced today when I hit the menu button on my remote for my Mot 6412 under the HD channels its showing FoxHD now. I am hoping that Cox is going to be adding this channel to our HD line up soon. Anyone else noticed this in the Hampton Roads area?

Not here but hoping

:no I too live in Hampton Roads with Cox's Mot 6412 received two weeks ago and do not see FOXHD. What channel number is it listing?

You need to hit the menu button on your remote. A small menu will pop up and you can select a catagory like Movies, HD Channels, etc. . This is where I saw FoxHd channel it isn't on the guide menu yet.

Yes I have it too! I haven't heard anything about Cox adding that channel in our area...other areas yes. I will search other forums and see if I can dig up something.

I didn't find anything in other forums, but received this explanation from Cox...

"Dear Valued Cox Customer:

Thank you for your inquiry. Cox is committed to providing the best
customer service possible.

HDTV:
We have inquired about expanding HD channels in Hampton Roads; however,
we have been advised that we are getting local channels at the end of
this summer quarter (maybe sooner). There are a lot of legalities and
contracts that have to be hammered out. Thank you for your interest in
HD. We will have more for you soon..."

I was told by a Verizon supervisor that FioS will be beginning in Hapersville Area of Newport News at the end of the third quarter this year and than they will go to Jefferson Ave by NN Williamsburg National Airport area afterwards. He told me that voice and internet would be first with video to folllow. Verizon has turned on their video serivce in Texas already.

Have to wait to see how Cox is going to do once Verizon begins work in Hampton Roads VA.

FIOS is also in Falls Church area (was the other test site with the Tx locale).

I just hope I can get FIOS in Deep Creek :rolleyes:

dagar said:
FIOS is also in Falls Church area (was the other test site with the Tx locale).

I just hope I can get FIOS in Deep Creek :rolleyes:

For what I was told and read, TX is the only state to have video service. Verizon is using TX as the test site first.

still hoping Cox can add NBC and FOXHD channels here. I was told by the end of summer which is now coming around the corner.

Well summer is almost over and Cox hasn't added anymore local HD channels. So Iam planning on running cable from my OTA to my HD TV and use my old Voom Receiver to get ALL locals in digtal and HD.

Cox needs to start working harder. Miss my Voom!!!

Anyone heard if Cox is going to be adding any more local HD channels to there line up in two weeks??

I would not count on Cox adding anything. I have been asking them for info on adding more HD content for a few years now. Thier answer is always the same: We hope to have more channels by the end of *whichever season it currently is* We have to work out the contract with each channel locally. Cox has offered to carry the HD signals for all local channels, however they have denied our request..blah blah blah.
When I asked some of the local channels this (WAVY, Fox43, and WVEC, they tell me that thier signal in HD is available to Cox, but Cox refuses to compensate them for it, when Cox charges us to see it (they say HD is free, but why do I have to subscribe to thier digital package which really isn't digital, but that's another topic). Cox wants to charge us for the locals, but not pay anything for it. It is kind of like in Happy Gilmore when the old folks are making the quilts and get nothing in return for it, while the home makes the money from it, and you feel good about buying them because you think that you are giving to the home.....

welcome to the site, glad you are here.

it can be frustrating waiting for tv providers to add channels. you know that now.

anyway, don't be a stranger around here.

Well the end of summer is here and Cox hasn't added any more local channels as I was told by the CSR. Cox HD serivce has been running here three years and no more local channels in HD. This year FOX has been broadcast more HD programs along with other local channels (UPN, NBC, ABC). I think Cox in Hampton Roads is doing a piss poor job in getting local HD channels.

jimmykce1 said:
Well the end of summer is here and Cox hasn't added any more local channels as I was told by the CSR. Cox HD serivce has been running here three years and no more local channels in HD. This year FOX has been broadcast more HD programs along with other local channels (UPN, NBC, ABC). I think Cox in Hampton Roads is doing a piss poor job in getting local HD channels.
They won't even carry TNTHD, and there are no subchannel problems. They simply won't use bandwidth for HD if they can use it for more lucrative purposes such as PPV and On Demand. I hope Dish picks up all 21 Voom channels and provides a reasonable package - then it's bye, bye Cox!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts