[COX] Hampton Roads, VA - Cox

Cox, Verizon Duke It Out

Feb. 18--A bill that appears headed for approval in Richmond will bring new competition for television service to Hampton Roads.

Verizon has battled the state's cable companies for years over creating a system that will make it easier for the phone company and other firms to sell television service. Virginia legislators have reached a compromise that will allow Verizon to offer cable TV service on the Peninsula.

"This has been a hard-fought compromise, and at the end of the day, consumers will benefit," said Thom Prevette, spokesman for Cox Communications in Hampton Roads.

Verizon is stringing fiber optics lines in Newport News, York County and South Hampton Roads to provide high-speed Internet and television service. Verizon would add to competition from satellite television firms and a planned wireless service from Utah-based U.S. Digital TV.

Assuming the changes go through, Verizon will take on Cox in Hampton Roads. Where Verizon is selling digital television service in Northern Virginia, Cox's digital prices are $4 cheaper than Hampton Roads. Cox is offering special deals there, especially to people who want to switch.

"You would be astounded at the deal you can get," for not switching in Fairfax County, said Robert Woltz, president of Verizon-Virginia.

The main reason the law may be changed is to make it easier to get a cable franchise, where a locality lets a company sell television service under certain conditions. Verizon was frustrated by a process in which getting a franchise could take up to a year.

Under the new process, negotiations won't last longer than 45 days. Then the locality has four months to enact an ordinance, which is largely already spelled out in the bill, that sets the rules.

But the groups that represent local governments in the state were shut out of the legislative deal, paving the way for possible conflict. The localities are concerned about losing some power, including mandates for cable companies to fund and provide channels for public service.

Although studies show cable rates are lower in areas with multiple wire-based cable companies, price isn't the only advantage. Consumers who want digital cable in Fairfax can opt for Verizon or Cox, and the companies have different high definition channels and an array of options for packages of digital movie, sports and international channels.

Verizon will use its new fiber network in Newport News to start offering Internet faster than cable speeds as early as April. But to sell television over that network, Verizon must get money from corporate headquarters to make expensive upgrades at local switching stations.

If the bill is passed to make obtaining a franchise agreement quicker, Woltz said he can make a business case that the investment will be worthwhile. Some Wall Street analysts consider Verizon's expensive fiber build-out risky, so getting television franchises quickly is key.

"What makes it an enormous risk is if you can't turn it into cash-paying customers," said Woltz.

Existing companies, such as Cox, worried that Verizon would have an easier set of rules to play by if the law were changed. To allay the fears, the bill allows the existing cable company to leave its franchise and get the same one as the new competitor.

This provision bothered Virginia's two main local government organizations, which believe letting a cable company out of its contract would be unconstitutional. The issue may need to be decided in court.

Many franchises currently require the local cable company to fund studios and equipment for public access channels. If a new competitor comes in, Cox wanted to ensure that the new entrant contributed to the cost of the programming.

The local government groups say the bill will result in a formula that will force localities to pick up more of the cost of operating the studios, but the companies disagree.

"In certain instances, the cities would actually be making more," said Prevette.

Cable companies such as Cox Communications have protested that Verizon wanted to compete without serving an entire locality, as Cox is required to. Cable firms argued that competitors would just serve the most profitable customers in wealthy and densely populated areas.

The compromise bill requires Verizon to promise to sell to a certain percentage of a locality's residents within three years of starting service, 65 percent within seven years and 80 percent within 10 years.

Local governments say the bill will limit the number of public access channels they can force companies to carry. But localities still can require up to seven public access channels under the compromise. And cable firms pass these channels' costs to consumers. If localities fight for the right to demand more channels, consumers will pick up the tab.

In the past, cable franchises were a valuable commodity that allowed localities to make lots of demands for extras like public access funding and wiring schools and public buildings. The companies acquiesced, even though the requests often exceeded what localities were allowed to legally ask for, said Woltz.

In the new cable television paradigm in Virginia, companies will fight each other hard for consumers. That means local governments' importance for regulatory oversight takes a back seat to the marketplace's pressures to please customers, said Prevette.

"The localities rightfully understand they're not going to get as much stuff from cable providers in the future," said Woltz.

The battle that will now unfold will be over selling packages of discounted phone, high-speed Internet and digital television service. Cox has been tremendously successful with this model and stolen Verizon's phone customers. Now Verizon plans to strike back.

"They're so successful because they're the only ones that can put together those packages to date," said Woltz.

And as Verizon angles for Cox's Hampton Roads' customers, expect Cox to strike back, said Prevette.

COMPETITION

Besides price, the companies compete in other ways in Northern Virginia. Each firm offers some advantage over the other for adding packages for pay channels like HBO, high-definition and international programming.

VERIZON RATES IN FAIRFAX COUNTY

Digital $39.95

Box Rental $3.95

Total $43.90

COX RATES IN FAIRFAX COUNTY

Basic Service $41.99

Digital $10.95

Box Rental $3.50

Total $56.44

The Verizon and Cox packages don't have exactly the same package of channels, but both companies carry nearly 200 similar channels for these prices.

THE PLAYING FIELD

Verizon wants to get into the cable television business. But cable companies must sign contracts with local governments that take up to a year to negotiate. Verizon said that takes too long.

Cable companies feared the state would change the law so Verizon could sell television service without meeting requirements Cox Communications has, such as serving an entire city or county. A compromise will make it easier for Verizon to get a franchise, while protecting the existing cable companies. But local governments will lose some power.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...on_duke_it_out/index.html?source=r_technology

Cox needs to get all the local channels in HD. We still don't have ABC, NBC, FOX, and UPN.

Recording Channel 703

I cannot record Channel 703. If I try it reverts to Channel 3 and doesn't give me the option of recording 703. Also, the Series that I have programmed to record on 703 as first run only don't recognize that CSI Miami is new tomorrow night. All the rest of the 700 channels record fine.

Called Cox. They say it must be my box. I doubt that since all the rest of the HD channels will record just fine. For instance Cannel 712 and 766 don't default to the SD channels.

Anyone else having this problem?

mekidwell said:
I cannot record Channel 703. If I try it reverts to Channel 3 and doesn't give me the option of recording 703. Also, the Series that I have programmed to record on 703 as first run only don't recognize that CSI Miami is new tomorrow night. All the rest of the 700 channels record fine.

Called Cox. They say it must be my box. I doubt that since all the rest of the HD channels will record just fine. For instance Cannel 712 and 766 don't default to the SD channels.

Anyone else having this problem?

Its a common problem that Cox has been experiencing with the DVR's. So take your box to a CSC and get another one.

Noticed a bunch of 800 test channels. Does this mean Cox is finally looking at adding the remaining local channels to Hampton Roads, Va HD service?? Anyone have any inside information to share?

800 Channels and New DVR

Evidently the reason that Ch 703 failed to record is that CBS stopped transmitting the HD content during "March Madness".

I took my DVR back, not because of that but to get the Motorola 6416, I wanted that box because of the larger hard drive (160 gb) and it has an HDMI output. They don't have the 6430 yet.

As for the 800 channels I was told they will be going digital on those channels. That will probably make some people unhappy if they have to get a cable box to watch them.

I think the 800 channel range is for Digital Simulcast just like Cox cables range County, Ca is doing right now.

All the Analogs will still be there for 1-4 years.

Cox to Change Pricing and Services in '07: Hampton Roads Customers Will See Higher...

(cont)... Cable and Internet Fees Along With Better HDTV Service.

By Chris Flores, Daily Press, Newport News, Va.

Nov. 14--Cox Communications is increasing the monthly price for Internet access by $2 and the price for cable television by $2.65 in January. In addition, the company will drop the cost of its high-definition/digital video recorder box from $9.95 a month to $5.50 -- the same price as a regular cable box.

This means HDTV owners will get programming from Cox at no extra charge. Also, Cox is adding ESPN2 in high definition and says it is close to agreements to add the NBC and Fox stations in HDTV, major holes in its current programming.

full article, go here:
http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno..._hampton_roads/index.html?source=r_technology

Also, Cox is adding ESPN2 in high definition and says it is close to agreements to add the NBC and Fox stations in HDTV, major holes in its current programming.

I'll believe it when I see it. I called them today to cancel some servics (All the movie channels--have NetFlix, don't watch them anymore) and asked them about HD service (as I do several times a year) Got the same answer I have been getting for the past 3 years-- Soon--

A1cntrler who knows. HD takes up bandwidth and they maybe working on moving some analog to digital to make room. It maybe a matter of timing in when they do this.

I have heard that Cox is going to add ESPN2HD by the end of this year. Also maybe FOXHD and NBCHD to be added early next year. Anyone else have heard these rumors??

I'll believe it when I see it. I called them today to cancel some servics (All the movie channels--have NetFlix, don't watch them anymore) and asked them about HD service (as I do several times a year) Got the same answer I have been getting for the past 3 years-- Soon--

Me too. I am waiting for Verizon to get installed in my neighborhood. I did a newsletter from my HOA and they said that Verizon is going to install their fiber lines next year.

I was looking at the Verizon site, and they have some pretty cool technology going on with thier FioS stuff. Looks like they use the same Motorola DVR/HD STB as Cox is using now, but they can be linked together..Meaning you keep the DVR in your family room, but can watch recorded programs in your bedroom or in the office at the same time as downstairs is watching something else. Pretty cool stuff.

I noticed today that Cox has added ESPN2HD to their line up today. I am waiting for Fox and NBC HD channels now.

I noticed today that Cox has added ESPN2HD to their line up today. I am waiting for Fox and NBC HD channels now.

I just noticed that a couple of minutes ago and logged on here to see if anyone else had noticed.. I guess we get ESPN 2, but had to give up INHD2 in order to get it?? Not that I ever really watch INHD1 or 2, but it is nice to have as much HD as possible...

I just noticed that a couple of minutes ago and logged on here to see if anyone else had noticed.. I guess we get ESPN 2, but had to give up INHD2 in order to get it?? Not that I ever really watch INHD1 or 2, but it is nice to have as much HD as possible...

You didn't give up INHD2, it was merged into INHD by INHD.

You didn't give up INHD2, it was merged into INHD by INHD.

I jumped to the conclusion that Cox was screwing me out of something. Go figure that I thought they were trying to take something from me... I don't feel quite so bad now that Cox did not have anything to do with it. This will free up some bandwidth for the addition of ABC, NBC and FOX (sometime this century hopefully....). I know th eproblem with NBC and FOX (Lin broadcasting corp.) but not too sure what the deal with ABC is...

I have been waiting and hearing the same BS from Cox for three or more years in getting the remainng local in HD to their line up. Hopefully, something will give soon. Although, when I get Verizon fios in my area, I am thinking of switching to Verizon broadband and telephone.

I have been waiting and hearing the same BS from Cox for three or more years in getting the remainng local in HD to their line up. Hopefully, something will give soon. Although, when I get Verizon fios in my area, I am thinking of switching to Verizon broadband and telephone.

If you are referring to the stations owned by LIN, don't blame Cox for not having them in their lineup. The only company that I know of that has them is Comcast.

Not really a Cox related response, but it does have something to do with not getting the LIN stations in HD. The question os will Verizon also carry CBS in HD on thier programming (WTKR is being sold as well to another company I saw yeaterday..Not sure how that will affect the HD feed on Cox...)

Saw this in the Pilot today:

First local customers receive new Verizon pay-TV serivce
By CAROLYN SHAPIRO, The Virginian-Pilot
© January 5, 2007
Last updated: 1:07 PM

VIRGINIA BEACH -- Drew Allen began asking Verizon workers about the company’s Fios TV service almost two years ago, when they began laying fiber optic cables through his yard.

Last week, the retired Navy captain turned on Fios TV in his home near First Colonial Road -- becoming one of the first Hampton Roads residents to launch the new pay-television service.

Verizon Communications Inc., the phone giant based in New York, has thrown its telecommunications heft into the TV arena to compete head-to-head with cable companies. Fios TV is the first comparable alternative to Hampton Roads’ dominant cable TV provider, Cox Communications Inc., running on a similar underground-wire system, as opposed to the air-traveling broadcast technology used by satellite companies.

Verizon has begun to offer the Fios TV service in Virginia Beach but won't provide any details before an official announcement scheduled for Monday morning, said Harry Mitchell, Verizon’s regional spokesman, based in West Virginia. The service is only available now in select areas of the city where Verizon has laid the high-speed fiber optic system to carry the all-digital TV signals.

Related to the local Fios TV launch, Verizon has reached an agreement to carry the analog and high-definition stations of Lin TV Corp., owner of local NBC affililate WAVY on Channel 10 and local Fox affiliate WVBT on Channel 43. The agreement marks a significant difference for local viewers between the TV offerings of Verizon and Cox, which currently has no agreement to carry WAVY or WVBT in high definition.

Reach Carolyn Shapiro at 757-446-2270 or carolyn.shapiro@pilotonline.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts