Cutters Q&A: Sling VP on Why You Can’t Just Move DISH Customers Over to Sling TV

I have T- Mobile for cell phones. Quite happy, now that they’ve expanded so much.

But at home, my T-Mobile cell service uses my Verizon FiOS Internet for calls. So T-Mobile Internet is not in the cards.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have T- Mobile for cell phones. Quite happy, now that they’ve expanded so much.

But at home, my T-Mobile cell service uses my Verizon FiOS Internet for calls. So T-Mobile Internet is not in the cards.
I do not understand this remark. If your Verizon service goes away (as my Cox service does from time to time), then your cell phone will fail over to LTE or 5G. And I think but don't know that T-Mobile home service should never be using a competitor's home service. Or are you talking about something else entirely?

I do not understand this remark. If your Verizon service goes away (as my Cox service does from time to time), then your cell phone will fail over to LTE or 5G. And I think but don't know that T-Mobile home service should never be using a competitor's home service. Or are you talking about something else entirely?
He is saying his T-Mobile Cell Service sucks at home, so he uses wifi calling with his Fios service.

Same for me with Verizon, cell service sucks here, so wifi calling with my Spectrum service.

That is life when living in a semi-rural area, but I do love the quiet.

Sigh. Streaming companies have significant Internet expenses. It ain’t free to shoot out millions of streams at once.
Streaming is a lot less that sending those birds up and to keep them going. Plus with streaming, no up front cost with receivers, coax, installations, etc. Running a stream and using the Fire Stick or Roku is a inexpensive compared to the past.

Streaming is a lot less that sending those birds up and to keep them going. Plus with streaming, no up front cost with receivers, coax, installations, etc. Running a stream and using the Fire Stick or Roku is a inexpensive compared to the past.
Exactly but the traditional carriers need to exist because remember it's not good when the competition is gone as you don't have anyone to set the prices to compete and then the streaming providers can set high prices which will be the referenced standard so let's assume DISH/DIRECTV/Cox/Spectrum/Comcast no longer provide TV service so the streaming providers no longer have those companies to compete against in price so assuming those referenced companies all charged $60.00 as a example for the minimum product. The streaming companies can now all charge $200.00 since you no longer have a choice. Costs to streaming companies can go down as internet costs are going down as they have choices on which tier 1 providers to use, CDN (Content Delivery Networks) to use who get their servers hosted for free and they only need to send one copy of each thing to each one, peering agreements at private and public internet exchanges, etc. Traditional whether wired as in Cable companies or satellite has their own network to maintain so there are costs to maintain among other things.

Sorry, I just did that pricing because it's the same with DTV via Satellite and DTV via Net. DTV Stream is lower than those prices.
Ah yes, But DTV is or was owned by AT&T they own their own internet backbone and can distribute streams for a lot less than Charlie (Echostar/Dish/Sling) could ever think of doing it for. The of course there's distribution agreements with the channel owners.

Ah yes, But DTV is or was owned by AT&T they own their own internet backbone and can distribute streams for a lot less than Charlie (Echostar/Dish/Sling) could ever think of doing it for. The of course there's distribution agreements with the channel owners.
Pretty much Comcast, Spectrum/Charter, AT&T, Verizon all own their own internet backbone so they can easily undercut both Charlie and Netflix, neither which own backbones but ofcourse there has to be a backbone somewhere for Charle's 5G network to connect to each other.

Pretty much Comcast, Spectrum/Charter, AT&T, Verizon all own their own internet backbone so they can easily undercut both Charlie and Netflix, neither which own backbones but ofcourse there has to be a backbone somewhere for Charle's 5G network to connect to each other.He probably acquired the connection for 5G through Sprint.

Pretty much Comcast, Spectrum/Charter, AT&T, Verizon all own their own internet backbone so they can easily undercut both Charlie and Netflix, neither which own backbones but ofcourse there has to be a backbone somewhere for Charle's 5G network to connect to each other.
Dish most likely got their connections for 5G through Sprint when they purchased Boost from them.

Dish most likely got their connections for 5G through Sprint when they purchased Boost from them.
I would have thought Sprint would have sold both the Boost network as well as the physical connections. Would be easier to tell if someone using Boost Infinite and connected to DISH's network could do some traceroutes but that will still only show the IP side of things, still wouldn't show who owns the actual fiber itself.

Last edited: