Cutters Q&A: Sling VP on Why You Can’t Just Move DISH Customers Over to Sling TV

"We’re looking at opportunities that come out of our impending merger with Echostar. Echostar Hughes service has really great high speed broadband"

LOL. No. I don't know a single person who thinks of Hughesnet as "really great high speed broadband". This woman is absolutely clueless.

Yes, I had Hughesnet for a couple of years. Although a speed test would show over 25 mp/s I could not even watch a YouTube video on the computer and streaming on the TV would not even start.
Anything above 5mb/s is considered high speed. And usually Hughes will test around 40ish. But the thing they leave out is ping or latency, which is usually 800-1100ms. For reference good cable internet will be anywhere from 1-20ms. And cellular around 60-80ms. So when it's over 100x slower that's why even though speeds are good it barely loads videos.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A couple months back I put Dish on pause and went over to Sling. I picked up the Sling Blue and added in 7 packs for an extra $21. So $61 a month and I get more than I did with the Flex pack. I have FXM back along with Boomerang. Also have TCM, CNN, MSNBC, etc. Not bad for the money. No Disney, but I have Disney+ free with Verizon. There are always deals with add on's like Hulu, or MAX, MGM+, etc. Moving to streaming so far is great. The only downfall I can find, if we lose the internet, I love Sling. I do have most locals OTA here via translators.

A couple months back I put Dish on pause and went over to Sling. I picked up the Sling Blue and added in 7 packs for an extra $21. So $61 a month and I get more than I did with the Flex pack. I have FXM back along with Boomerang. Also have TCM, CNN, MSNBC, etc. Not bad for the money. No Disney, but I have Disney+ free with Verizon. There are always deals with add on's like Hulu, or MAX, MGM+, etc. Moving to streaming so far is great. The only downfall I can find, if we lose the internet, I love Sling. I do have most locals OTA here via translators.
We are lucky here with Spectrum at about 350 down. For about $80 a month.

"We’re looking at opportunities that come out of our impending merger with Echostar. Echostar Hughes service has really great high speed broadband"

LOL. No. I don't know a single person who thinks of Hughesnet as "really great high speed broadband". This woman is absolutely clueless.
I got that same impression from that article. She might of been speaking to Charlie in that article and to keep her job. What Charlie needs is the truth and stop the losses before it sinks. :smug

What if they did Dish and Sling TV like how they are doing DirecTV with their latest ads saying you can get DTV with Satellite or Internet? Have Sling look like the Dish Network GUI, give it the same channels that Dish over Satellite has. Then have the locals be an optional package. They could rename Sling TV Dish+? Also have both services have the same pricing. Does Dish still plan on launching that new satellite?

What if they did Dish and Sling TV like how they are doing DirecTV with their latest ads saying you can get DTV with Satellite or Internet? Have Sling look like the Dish Network GUI, give it the same channels that Dish over Satellite has. Then have the locals be an optional package. They could rename Sling TV Dish+? Also have both services have the same pricing. Does Dish still plan on launching that new satellite?
I would think the over satellite should be the current pricing and Sling via Internet should be less as the former includes the transport while the later, you need to bring your own connection for transmission so should be less as it only provides the content but not the physical feed.

I would think the over satellite should be the current pricing and Sling via Internet should be less as the former includes the transport while the later, you need to bring your own connection for transmission so should be less as it only provides the content but not the physical feed.
Sorry, I just did that pricing because it's the same with DTV via Satellite and DTV via Net. DTV Stream is lower than those prices.

Sigh. Streaming companies have significant Internet expenses. It ain’t free to shoot out millions of streams at once.
Ofcourse but that is already factored in as streaming companies also use CDN's but if the streaming costs the same as something that has the transport, then the streaming would be more expensive once you add in the internet connection to it. So if you were paying $100 for DISH via Satellite, you would be paying $100 + the cost of the internet connection which is what I was trying to say.

So if you were paying $100 for DISH via Satellite, you would be paying $100 + the cost of the internet connection which is what I was trying to say.
Except you use the internet for so much more then streaming TV, for me, paying bills, communications, taxes, shopping, reading, news, information, alarm system, doorbell, gaming, since I work from home, it makes me money.

The internet/broadband is a necessity in todays world, you would have it if you get your TV via Satellite or streaming, not fair to add the entire cost of broadband to your TV service when you use it for so much more.

Even if I did not work from home, it would still save me money, since I can have everything delivered, no longer have to run around to buy what I need, time is money.

Except you use the internet for so much more then streaming TV, for me, paying bills, communications, taxes, shopping, reading, news, information, alarm system, doorbell, gaming, since I work from home, it makes me money.

The internet/broadband is a necessity in todays world, you would have it if you get your TV via Satellite or streaming, not fair to add the entire cost of broadband to your TV service when you use it for so much more.

Even if I did not work from home, it would still save me money, since I can have everything delivered, no longer have to run around to buy what I need, time is money.
Depends since some internet like mines from Comcast is capped and the Ring Doorbell system would already use most of the uploading bandwidth otherwise I wouldn't have needed to upgrade from 6Mbps/768kbps ADSL as everytime the Ring doorbell record, it would basically make internet unavailable for anything else due to the ACKnowledgement packets not receiving priority so obviously 16 streams to compare apples to apples from a Hopper 3 would actually use a lot of the capacity of the internet connection and remember the Hopper 3 does do 4K on channels 540 so you have to look at that as well so depends on what % the streaming actually takes from your overall bandwidth, that would still add up to the cost. It's no different than ADSL requiring one paid for voice so while my $69.95 for 6Mbps/768kbps was for the ADSL alone, I still have to add in the analog phone line which was another $20 a month so it's the overall cost that matters so you can say it is fair or unfair but a dedicated pipe is still a dedicated pipe and remember that you also will no longer be able to use your internet connection to it's fastest speed possible as in actual file downloading so it's no different than taking a T1 which is 24 56k/4k channels and there are people who do not have a computer but still have internet just for streaming since the internet connection is not going to let you have the $90 Gigabit connection at $2.25 a month simply because you only need to use 25Mbps only. You pay the $90 a month whether you like it or not. So as for the fair part, you also get more than one channel on DISH by satellite for example, does that mean you will be paying only for that 1 channel and nothing else. You have to look at the total cost of operations. If it costs a total of $200, then it's still $200 regardless if you only use $5 of it or if you use all $200 of it. You can also resell your internet connection for people locally too but that's different. So as the owner of an Hawaiian ISP, I speak from both the consumer side and the provider side. Even in San Francisco, there are still plenty of neighbors who don't have internet. I can't use the internet for taxes even if I wanted to, not talking about property taxes but the IRS as one who owns something like UNG, it requires a Schedule K-1 and now a Schedule K-3 which requires overrides to the actual tax forms which are not eligible for electronic filing. So there is a difference between a dedicated transport which is 100% available for satellite tv vs something that is shared since atleast there would be no way you will have the 99% reliability guarantee that DISH advertises when you have a streaming connection as when you involve the internet, the streaming provider is only responsible if the streaming provider was down but no one else will be responsible if any of the internet transit or routing is down among many other things like fiber cuts, DDOS and other things you haven't factored in between you and the streaming provider when it comes to the chances of failure. When it's a dedicated connection, only the provider is responsible for everything should it go down which is why you pay a higher price. So while you might not add in 100% of the costs for internet, the streaming provider also cannot charge the same as someone with a dedicated connection, this is almost like asking for a business grade 1Gbps clear channel fiber connection pricing to a consumer level 1Gbps internet as they are not even the same level of service, the later has a 99.6% reliability guarantee which means every 365 days, there is a 1 hour and 40 minute outage allowed as for every 1 minute of outage, there is 4 minutes of credit. So unless the streaming can literally guarantee it will have the same reliability as the satellite, it will have to charge significantly less as it's more of a bring your own transport solution so even if it uses only 25Mbps, you have to treat it as if it used the entire 25Mbps dedicated to it and factor in the costs since the satellite will either work or it won't while the streaming connection depends on many factors and that's even if you get a internet connection just for streaming. So when you talk about fair, it's similar to TVBUSA which has the Jadeworld package on DISH for $29.99 monthly excluding the receiver fees but it comes with the dedicated DISH connection. For streaming, you can get the same package for $29.99 on Sling which has the same exact # of channels but you still have to add the cost of the internet connection.

Last edited:
Depends since some internet like mines from Comcast is capped
Not if you have xFi Advantage, total of $15-25 per month ( depends on your area), includes the modem/router rental and no data cap.

Have Charter/Spectrum here in Florida, no data cap, back in Michigan 3 years ago, had Comcast, we would have 1-2 outages a month, usually not long, but still a PITA.

Charter has been solid here, even during the two hurricanes ( my first and second I have experienced ) last year.

Not if you have xFi Advantage, total of $15-25 per month ( depends on your area), includes the modem/router rental and no data cap.

Have Charter/Spectrum here in Florida, no data cap, back in Michigan 3 years ago, had Comcast, we would have 1-2 outages a month, usually not long, but still a PITA.

Charter has been solid here, even during the two hurricanes ( my first and second I have experienced ) last year.
No data cap is only in the Northeast. The only way you can get no data cap is when you pay for xFi Complete which is $24.99 a month which is really adding unlimited bandwidth and the modem rental to whatever internet package you have. xFi Advantage also no longer exists and is replaced by xFi Complete. Note the $24.99 does not include internet services so that $24.99 on top of the internet service so your total for the internet bill will not be $24.99 but more than that.
So the $90 connection just became $115 and in areas where applicable taxes, all you just did by mentioning that option is it even makes the total cost of operation higher which means the actual costs to get the streaming connection working is now even higher than before than option added.

1700866817165.png

1700866904953.png

As for outages, you are only talking about the service provider but there can still be outages at any point between you and the streaming provider which involves many networks as while you may see the path from you to them, you will not see the path it takes from them to you which can use complete different networks at the point after your providers.