D* could drop NFL ST or make a non-exclusive deal in the next renewal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This won't be issue until after the coming season, renewal is up for 2014.

It is a very expensive exclusive, Directv would be crazy to not debate the value with or without the exclusive tag. The article did well to clarify how things like RedZone and NFL Network have diminished the value.

What about the LAW / others who may not like it being exclusive?

But it's 2013 and comcast still does not have GAME 3-9 HD and TEAM 2-9 HD, goal line HD, pac12 HD (out of market), very weak HBO HD, SHOW HD, MAX HD, STARS HD, BIG TEN HD alts and others.

The NFL would be foolish,not to make ST available to all providers.If they can sell it to Dish,Comcast,TW,Charter,and others,it will only add more revenue.

I really don't understand how the NFL has kept it exclusive with DTV. I understand DTV has paid a lot for it but I would think opening to multiple providers would only help the NFL

I really don't understand how the NFL has kept it exclusive with DTV. I understand DTV has paid a lot for it but I would think opening to multiple providers would only help the NFL
but it's wouldn't help the local network (FOX,CBS) Sunday Ticket only on DirecTV or Dish

I think the issue for Directv is that they got hundreds of thousands of customers who want to switch providers, but keep Directv because of the Sunday Ticket.

Dish will never carry Sunday Ticket. They can't even work out an agreement to get Extra Innings, they would never pay more than that to carry the NFL.

Directv has got a problem on their hands when this comes up for renewal, but they are so far into it I don't think they have a choice but to look into renewing their exclusive deal.

I think Dish will have little interest in it.

Agree. Years ago on a Charlie Chat, Ergen responded to a caller on this very issue. Charlie said if "we can't make money on it, we're not going to put it on the system."...Or words to that effect.
Dish has never been a big supporter of sports programming. Sports are merely tolerated at Dish only because having sports programming attracts customers who otherwise would not subscribe to Dish.
Dish won't give the NFL the time of day unless the offer works out in Dish's favor.
Another quote by Charlie...."If you want NFL Sunday Ticket subscribe to Directv."

Simple. Because Directv offered more money than all others and with that offer was the condition of exclusivity.

Well it was more than that. There was and I'm sure still is opposition from the local affiliates over Sunday Ticket. Keeping it only on Direct TV helped to soften that opposition. One reason, ratings are based only on watching the game directly from the affiliate. Second, there are many in each market that would not watch the local games provided if they could choose others.

Also a correction to a post made by Claude. Dish can in fact come to a contract agreement to get extra innings. They had it. They lost money (or at the least didn't fare well financially with it) while having it, and that's why no extra innings.... In addition, Baseball wanted an exclusive contract with Direct TV, and in fact had it, but Congress got involved and that plan dissolved. It isn't as easy as Dish not being able to come to an agreement.

but it's wouldn't help the local network (FOX,CBS) Sunday Ticket only on DirecTV or Dish

That is exactly the reason the NFL wants to keep it exclusive because if everyone could get Sunday Ticket the coverage that the networks pay to get would drop in value along with the amount that the networks would be willing to pay for that coverage. The NFL could lose money that way so they like it exactly the way it is. This sounds like a bargaining ploy by Directv to keep the price down in the next contract.

Well it was more than that. There was and I'm sure still is opposition from the local affiliates over Sunday Ticket. Keeping it only on Direct TV helped to soften that opposition. One reason, ratings are based only on watching the game directly from the affiliate. Second, there are many in each market that would not watch the local games provided if they could choose others.

Also a correction to a post made by Claude. Dish can in fact come to a contract agreement to get extra innings. They had it. They lost money (or at the least didn't fare well financially with it) while having it, and that's why no extra innings.... In addition, Baseball wanted an exclusive contract with Direct TV, and in fact had it, but Congress got involved and that plan dissolved. It isn't as easy as Dish not being able to come to an agreement.

Your local games are blacked out so you have to watch on your local Affiliate.

So it wouldn't hurt if everyone could carry it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think the issue for Directv is that they got hundreds of thousands of customers who want to switch providers, but keep Directv because of the Sunday Ticket.

Dish will never carry Sunday Ticket. They can't even work out an agreement to get Extra Innings, they would never pay more than that to carry the NFL.

Directv has got a problem on their hands when this comes up for renewal, but they are so far into it I don't think they have a choice but to look into renewing their exclusive deal.

Once THIS negotiations are over, LOOK OUT, can't imagine what prices will rise too, in order to have the ST the year after.
They dropped the price this past year to try and entice more to come on board, apparently it didn't help.

Then again, if D* is smart, they will keep the price down if they can.

Does anyone know for sure if D* sets the price for ST subs, or is it the NFL's call.

Last edited:
That is exactly the reason the NFL wants to keep it exclusive because if everyone could get Sunday Ticket the coverage that the networks pay to get would drop in value along with the amount that the networks would be willing to pay for that coverage. The NFL could lose money that way so they like it exactly the way it is. This sounds like a bargaining ploy by Directv to keep the price down in the next contract.
exclusive? is kinda over! everyone can get ST now on the Playstation network, but i don't know how quality is it

My thoughts exactly ...

The guy in the article said D* could pull it, as in NOT have it, I don't see that happening at all ...

However, if the NFL wants to get it out to all providers that would want it, the best way to do that would be to change the gamer plan and have an addl option, vs the ST, you could now look at getting The ST with all the extras, or a New ST option of getting just your team . this would be a very enticing move, whether it's to D* only or opened up to all.

$200 for ST or
$100 for ST- Your Team.

Keep in mind, this is just thinking about options, nothing that the NFL has actually made an announcement about.

Your local games are blacked out so you have to watch on your local Affiliate.

So it wouldn't hurt if everyone could carry it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
You have missed my point. There are many in a market that don't want to watch the local game, they have another favorite team. Just in the greater Tampa area alone there are thousands and thousands of people from other parts of the Country that may watch the Buccaneers if there is no other choice, but certainly won't if they can watch their team. In fact, there are so many in the area that are not really Buc fans, they are having trouble selling out the stadium. (Along with a bad economy) That area has more than enough population that it should be no problem selling out. Several of my friends have Extra Innings there because they are not Rays fans. On a given night there are more Red Sox or Yankee fans there than Rays fans.

I think Dish will have little interest in it.
I believe you may be correct.

First, Charlie would not think the additional cost is justified

Second, Charlie realizes DirecTV already has that niche and it would take a lot to get enough subs to come over from DirecTV especially if other providers take on ST.

Third, Dish does not have the bandwidth to take put all of those additional feeds on CONUS. Remember that DirecTV has a lot of PPV channels that are turned over to ST. Dish does not have all of those PPV channels or other channels they could clear up on Sunday. They can't even provide the bandwidth for HD RSNs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts