D* or E*, who will have most national HD on 12/31/07, read text before voting please

Which DBS provider will have the most national HD channels by 12/31/07?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
There's been much debate on one side and the other on this subject, with lots of verbage being written. How about just a nice short and sweet poll, no need to post anything why you voted that way since it's probably been said over and over and over before.

For this poll let's use the following defintion for national HD channel:

- The channel has to be available 24x7x365, no part time channel like D*'s channel 95 or E*'s part time regional sports network channels. Also exclude sports subscription channels such as NLF, NBA, MLB, NHL.

- Doesn't matter if the channel is doing upconvert 24x7 at the channel provider, if D* or E* is sending out a HD channel (>480p) then it counts. Example, Weather Channel says they'll light up a HD channel this year but upconvert most of it, this would count as a HD channel since D* and E* would be receiving a >480p signal from them.

- Let's not count the NYC and LA network HD channels that D* has since the vast majority of people can't get those channels.

That's it, let's see how good a bunch of guesses we have here.

Personally I feel that by the end of 2007 it will be to close to call. One provider may have 1 or 2 channels more but it will be really close. E* has been pretty quite on how many more HD channels they can offer before their new SAT's are launched. I think that having Voom will allow them to stay neck and neck with D*'s offerings this year. Now go beyond 2007 for a few months and I would have a totally different vote.

I did vote but I'm a proponent of quality over quantity so I could care less if more HD channels are added at the expense of picture quality; however, I would not be opposed to more HD with better quality :)

So far its really interesting.

OK, I think a little 'site bias' is going on. I put the same exact poll up at the other guys site and as of now they're just about 180 degrees from this sites results (D* 61.9%, E* 23.81% and equal 14.29%) vs. here with D* 29.03%, E* with 64.25% and equal 6.45%). So yes, very interesting so far, looks like both companies have done a good job of brain washing their customers.;)

OK, I think a little 'site bias' is going on. I put the same exact poll up at the other guys site and as of now they're just about 180 degrees from this sites results (D* 61.9%, E* 23.81% and equal 14.29%) vs. here with D* 29.03%, E* with 64.25% and equal 6.45%). So yes, very interesting so far, looks like both companies have done a good job of brain washing their customers.;)

Well said rad, I was thinking the same as you on this one.

This is a stupid opinion poll because it asks for opinions about the future. What matters is who has the best offerings in HD TODAY and the immediate future.

I mean no offense to the poll creator but you might as well ask when the end of the world will be.

Additionally, those who feel they have a logical explanation why one will be more than the other could be considered people who also believe in tea leaves, palm reading, and other mystical nonsense.

rad- I believe you meant this poll more as a trick measure of satguys members attitude vs. dbstalks and also don't care what the D* vs. E* opinion was. If that was indeed your motive, my hat's off to you. But, once again, it really doesn't matter. I'll continue to read both places for honest facts and don't care what the crystal ball, palm readers or just shills believe.

Finally, Having a product or service to sell and then actually selling that product vs. making a promise of having a product or service sometime in the future and let the groupies (those of us in these forums) argue about it is not brain washing customers. One is just a promise of the direction the company is headed, the other is business today. ( referring to the number of channels) Announcement of a plan to launch a bird with a specification of capacity is also just that. The only brain washing being done is by the shills on these forums, not the companies themselves. Finally, neither company really cares about these forums as they only represent a small sector of their business. Granted they represent a large sector of the early adopters, but early adopters is only of benefit to each company as a test market.

No I didn't vote! When tomorrow comes, I will have the service that offers the best bang for my buck, both in hardware and programming. I have both now but one is the bigger subscription based on today's capability. I could easily switch to the other if I find they are offering something better. If D* or E* is reading this, sell me something today that is better than the competition and you will have my business. If I see a commercial full of shallow promises, I just consider you pathetic, desperate, and an insult to your potential customers.

Yeah I don't see anyone beating Dish out they are already adding more HD Channels in the next two months. Dish also seems to be the leader not only in HD but MPEG4 as well to where Direct is just now really getting there. Overall I think Dish will be the HD Leader for awhile while everyone else is trying to catch up with them. :)

rad- I believe you meant this poll more as a trick measure of satguys members attitude vs. dbstalks and also don't care what the D* vs. E* opinion was. If that was indeed your motive, my hat's off to you. But, once again, it really doesn't matter. I'll continue to read both places for honest facts and don't care what the crystal ball, palm readers or just shills believe.

Don, that was not my motive at all. I only did this because there are threads all over the place basically asking this question one way or another. A number of members have voiced their opinion on this matter and I was just looking to have one single point where you could see one way or another what the membership though on this subject. Now if you thought there was some other motive for this poll, sorry there isn't one.

What I do find interesting is that over at the other guys there's been 25 votes and not one single comment made, just taking the poll at face value.

This is a stupid opinion poll because it asks for opinions about the future. What matters is who has the best offerings in HD TODAY and the immediate future.

I mean no offense to the poll creator but you might as well ask when the end of the world will be.

Additionally, those who feel they have a logical explanation why one will be more than the other could be considered people who also believe in tea leaves, palm reading, and other mystical nonsense.

Finally, Having a product or service to sell and then actually selling that product vs. making a promise of having a product or service sometime in the future and let the groupies (those of us in these forums) argue about it is not brain washing customers. One is just a promise of the direction the company is headed, the other is business today. ( referring to the number of channels) Announcement of a plan to launch a bird with a specification of capacity is also just that. The only brain washing being done is by the shills on these forums, not the companies themselves. Finally, neither company really cares about these forums as they only represent a small sector of their business. Granted they represent a large sector of the early adopters, but early adopters is only of benefit to each company as a test market.

No I didn't vote! When tomorrow comes, I will have the service that offers the best bang for my buck, both in hardware and programming. I have both now but one is the bigger subscription based on today's capability. I could easily switch to the other if I find they are offering something better. If D* or E* is reading this, sell me something today that is better than the competition and you will have my business. If I see a commercial full of shallow promises, I just consider you pathetic, desperate, and an insult to your potential customers.
I think your reading into this just alittle bit more then you should. This pole IMO is just for fun.Its nice to get peoples opinion on a subject thats beat to death all the time. At lease to vote on it would keep most people from being shot down at their opinions.No one is getting forced to vote.

They sure have. BUT, Charlie does have a way of getting the job done. He always seems to find a way.

I think itll be close. D* will have some that E* wont and vice versa(not an invitation to rag on Voom BTW).

I think what matters is they will push each other and BOTH will have the major channels covered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts