Dallas locals spot beam...changed recently?

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I live a couple of hours south of Dallas. I used to live in Dallas and have never bothered changing from Dallas to Waco locals. This has been going on for a few years. Today (or possibly yesterday) I quit receiving the Dallas locals. It cannot find the signals. I've always been in range of the spot beam before and never had any issues. All of my other channels appear to be coming in OK.

Is there anyone else out there in the same predicament? I wanted to verify that something actually had changed before I called Dish and switched to Waco locals, since I prefer Dallas.

Thanks in advance!
David

I'm in Tyler, our CBS came out of Dallas until a few months ago (Now I get both Tyler and Dallas, and NYC CBS when my second dish is installed at 61.5), PBS still comes from Dallas. Mine are working fine...

The Dallas locals are at 110 degrees transponder 8 spot 6. Check your signal strength on that transponder versus other transponders at 110. If you have little or no signal on tp 8 at 110 but good signal on other 110 transponders especially even numbered ones over 10, then they may have readjusted the beam.

See ya
Tony

It was weird. On my two receivers that I leave on most of the time the locals weren't working (and I believe when I checked the signal for that spotbeam it was low or non-existant). I then went into the bedroom and turned on that receiver and got the locals fine. So I turned off/on the two receivers that had the problem and the locals came back on. Go figure. I'm not sure how turning the receivers off/on helped, but it certainly did.

Dallas locals in Austin?

Does anyone know if the signal for the Dallas locals can be received in Austin?
Thanks!

David,

If you have an SW64 switch mounted outside, it could be the beginning of the end. I've had two switches die on me in pretty much the same way. Eventually I had to reset the switch itself by unplugging the power inserter (FROM THE WALL NOT THE UNIT ITSELF) and plugging it back in.

I'm not certain this is definitely what is happening, but my receivers showed the same symptoms before the switch died.

SF,

The Dallas Nets are sold down there in "white" areas, so yes, it's a fair bet you can get the beam. Check signal on the transponder and satellite mentioned above if you have a Dish receiver. If you get signal, you're good to go.

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony.
Do you have any hints on 'white area' zip codes near Austin? I'm moving from a white area in northern california where I got San Francisco and New York locals via Dish, and am interested in installing the dish at a white area near Austin.

You know what, I forgot about the new SHVREA restrictions.. With the new law there is no such thing as a "white area" within a TV market that is served with locals. If you already had both when the law was signed (sort of) then you can keep what you have. When you move, all bets are off and you have to play by the new rules.

So...right now the only way for you to get Dallas locals is to "live" in the Dallas TV market. Or you could get the Dallas nets only for the same price if you "live" in another near by unserved Texas market like Midland. You will not be able to get distants and locals in Austin as a new or moved customer.

See ya
Tony

bulgarian tv

501 Problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)