demo channel showing ESPN clips

richmert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
its between 930 and 10 pm on the west coast and the demo channel is showing all espn clips. they look pretty good. if this is 720p i think i could live with it.

edit: i guess i should wait and see how monster HD looks in 720p before i pass judgement though. i used to watch monster constantly but it is now almost unwatchable.

Last edited:
yea its been uplinked for a couple of weeks.. lastweek it went on 61.5. and is on 129 @ chnl 9425. Im looking to see if its been made avable to subs yet. allthough i dont thinkso. Tom's/ todays uplink report will be an intresting one for sure :)

Still not avabile to subs though :( but I do tell you this... if all the hd channels looked as good as what im seeing now.. I would have no complaints. :) there has to be some bandwith being pumped into this one... Flipping between this and david let. on cbs (dvred) there is no comparison... The picture quality in this kicks CBS E's Ass.... BY FAR

The Bowl games started last evening and 2 720p channels on a transponder is easy.

The Demo channel is listed Off Air for at least 24 hours. They probably will figure out how to take it Off Air by then. :)

goaliebob99 said:
Still not avabile to subs though :( but I do tell you this... if all the hd channels looked as good as what im seeing now.. I would have no complaints. :) there has to be some bandwith being pumped into this one... Flipping between this and david let. on cbs (dvred) there is no comparison... The picture quality in this kicks CBS E's Ass.... BY FAR

i know this sounds terrible but is it possible that a software release could have effected the OTA tuner and made it look softer in order to make the other HD channels look better? is it even possible?

NOPE.. this was recorded off of CBShd E 9483... (im in an o&o area and get the feed for free) That channel is being down converted from 1080I to 720P... Also john im seeing what your seeing in tsreader.. about it being 24 hrs off air.. weird. My 942 thinks its only 2 hrs.. (but it most likely hasnt updated the epg yet so ;)) I bet thats whats cauzing the lack of schedualed outage time :)

goaliebob99 said:
John I got it off air for the next 2 hours.. not 24 according to my 942.... Earlyer today it was all good showing normal old model 6000 programming and said hd demo channel like normal :)

Yeah, they changed it again. Earlier I went forward 24 hours on the 6000 and it said Off Air then. Now it says Off Air 'til 11:00 AM EST.

Remember the 942 has the extended EPG and needs to update to show changes for programming beyond the current and next events.

richmert said:
its between 930 and 10 pm on the west coast and the demo channel is showing all espn clips. they look pretty good. if this is 720p i think i could live with it.
edit: i guess i should wait and see how monster HD looks in 720p before i pass judgement though. i used to watch monster constantly but it is now almost unwatchable.
ESPN HD (and I assume ESPN2 HD) normally broadcast in 720p. The picture quality issues described on the other channels (CBS-E) may be due to E* converting 1080i to 720p or may be due to overcompression (or more likely a combination of these factors). If the problems are only caused by format conversion and not overcompression, then ESPN/2HD would not be expected to show them.
I don't have my second dish up yet, so I haven't seen these issues for myself. It's been too cold and icy to work on the roof. I noticed some reduced PQ on TNT-HD last week on a rerun of "Las Vegas" which was pretty clearly overcompression. It was nowhere near as sharp as what I see when I record it OTA.

BrettTRay said:
Goalie, how much difference in picture quality is the OTA CBS to the CBS CH.9483 when they are showing HD content.

I cant tell because CBS Hd here in chicago is at a whopping 3kw.... on VHF channel 3 :( I cant even get a hint of that signal as most of chicago land cant either :D.... Everything else comes in the 90's on my 942 and looks damm good. CBS on the other hand... Im sol.. If i didnt have the feed from dish I would be sol too

just to give you an idea where other stations are at.. they range from 500 kw to upn (wpwr) at 1mega watt. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)