Dial-up (Land Line) options...split from audit thread.

nippjas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
Solution for cell phone only users, they do have a whole house cell router, like a Vonage gateway, that can route all land lines in your home through a cellular phone and it will even boost your cell phone to 3watts and provide an external antenna. I don't recall the manufacturer of this system, but on the other hand I don't know if it simulates dial tone or not...It's supposed to work with fax machines?

In any case this is a legit statement..."What do people do who don't have landlines?"...Dish requires a couple models, 921, 811, 721, and 522 I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, to be connected at all times. I have a 301 in my basement that is not connected to a line, and I had my 811 disconnected from the land line for several weeks they worked just fine. On some models E* will surcharge you an extra fee if you don't keep it connected to a phone line...Either way this has come up more than once on Charlie Chat and the responses were that they know this is an issue and that they were working towards a solution. ??? What that means???? :what

Jason

nippjas said:
Solution for cell phone only users, they do have a whole house cell router, like a Vonage gateway, that can route all land lines in your home through a cellular phone and it will even boost your cell phone to 3watts and provide an external antenna. I don't recall the manufacturer of this system, but on the other hand I don't know if it simulates dial tone or not...It's supposed to work with fax machines?

You're talking about Cellsocket - I have one of these. You drop your cellphone in the base unit & it can then be connected to your house phones. Unfortunately, you are misinformed on a couple points.

- It definately will NOT work with ANY satellite boxes, because anytime you make an outbound call over the cellsocket, you have to enter a # AFTER you dial your number - I know of NO DBS box that can be reprogrammed to do this. (many CAN be programmed for a prefix to be dialed, like a 9, but not after the programmed outbound number)

- It does come with an external base antenna, but it does NOT boast your cell phone to 3 watts - it justs gives it a better antenna to work with. Since my cell phone gets full signal at my house, I dont' use it.

- It will NOT work with fax machines at all - the compression used on cell phone calls will NOT pass fax signals to the other end.

Go to www.cellsocket.com to find out more.

IMHO, BOTH satellite companies ARE going to have to address the ever growing problem of cell-only households. People that have decided to cut the phone cord are NOT going to keep a landline JUST for the sake of the satellite box - they'll just switch back to the cable co, who does NOT care if you have a phone line or not. If you stop to think about it, it's really kind of ridiculous for the satellite companies to tell you to "cut the cable cord", but keep the "phone cord" - duh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The ONLY reason why I still have a landline is - my fax machine I need for business.

dishrich said:
You're talking about Cellsocket - I have one of these. You drop your cellphone in the base unit & it can then be connected to your house phones. Unfortunately, you are misinformed on a couple points.

- It definately will NOT work with ANY satellite boxes, because anytime you make an outbound call over the cellsocket, you have to enter a # AFTER you dial your number - I know of NO DBS box that can be reprogrammed to do this. (many CAN be programmed for a prefix to be dialed, like a 9, but not after the programmed outbound number)

- It does come with an external base antenna, but it does NOT boast your cell phone to 3 watts - it justs gives it a better antenna to work with. Since my cell phone gets full signal at my house, I dont' use it.

- It will NOT work with fax machines at all - the compression used on cell phone calls will NOT pass fax signals to the other end.

Go to www.cellsocket.com to find out more.

IMHO, BOTH satellite companies ARE going to have to address the ever growing problem of cell-only households. People that have decided to cut the phone cord are NOT going to keep a landline JUST for the sake of the satellite box - they'll just switch back to the cable co, who does NOT care if you have a phone line or not. If you stop to think about it, it's really kind of ridiculous for the satellite companies to tell you to "cut the cable cord", but keep the "phone cord" - duh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The ONLY reason why I still have a landline is - my fax machine I need for business.
Cellsocket is not the only manufacturer. There are others. When I worked for MOT we worked on a whole house solution and it did amplify to 3 watts, as did MOT's in vehicle systems (Car Kits), at the time. I don't remember dial-tone though. You can buy stand alone 3 watt adapters...attached.

I can dial up the net or use WinFax with my company Dell Latitude thru my MOT T720 just fine, I do this often when traveling. Also, if you have Broadband you can get a Vonage VOIP Fax line for like $10/month.

The last link is a Cell dock for cell phones, scroll to the bottom and you will see Docks dedicated for credit card machines and fax machines, you will also see they have dial-tone generators...

http://www.phonelabs.com/

http://www.cellantenna.com/Boosters/da4000.htm

http://www.globalcomusa.com/207.htm

http://www.fselectronics.net/cELLsOCKET.HTM

http://www.hightech-store.com/cellinterface.html

Jason

OK, well first of all, I can't see the TWICE article, since I don't have a sub to it.

Second, if you read through these sites, most say these will ONLY work for data/fax transmissions IF you force the cell phone into ANALOG mode. How do you think that'll work for the hundreds of cell phones that do NOT even have analog capability any more. For instance, I know for a fact that both Cingular & AT&T (which are now 1 & the same) ONLY offer new phones that are GSM ONLY with NO analog capability at all. With most of the carriers getting away from analog coverage altogether eventually, obviously THAT'S not going to be a solution any more.

When I worked for MOT we worked on a whole house solution and it did amplify to 3 watts, as did MOT's in vehicle systems (Car Kits), at the time.

OK, so tell me WHERE I can buy one of these systems? Are these still made - if not, that does a lot of good, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Also, if you have Broadband you can get a Vonage VOIP Fax line for like $10/month.

If you are talking about that I need a fax line, you STILL have to buy basic VONAGE service starting at $15, so now we are up to $25 just to run the fax machine - I can keep my analog phone line for LESS than THAT!
Also, while obviously VONAGE would work for the DBS box, what about all the people that are cell only, but do NOT have/use/need broadband?

I can dial up the net or use WinFax with my company Dell Latitude thru my MOT T720 just fine, I do this often when traveling.

Well yes, but aren't you paying extra for a "data grade service" through your cell phone carrier, via a direct data link with your Dell? (typically called a "data ready phone") Obviously, THIS type of connection is not going to work with a typical DBS box off of it's RJ11 jack.

Also, you STILL haven't addressed the problem of HOW is the DBS box supposed to tell the cell phone when it's done dialing, to acutally SEND the call. (hitting a #, *, or the send key itself) Until the DBS companies figure this out & put the capability in THEIR boxes, this is all a moot point.

While I'm think the DBS co. need to look at this to make THEIR products more compable with services OTHER than analog land lines, they obviously have not done this yet. And like I said, they are eventually going to be forced to. It's obviously NOT a simple solution, as you seem to imply.

But, thx for the links anyway, at least for other "cell socket" type adaptors - glad to see there are other brands out there.

dishrich said:
OK, well first of all, I can't see the TWICE article, since I don't have a sub to it.
Your right, sorry I'll remove that link.

dishrich said:
Second, if you read through these sites, most say these will ONLY work for data/fax transmissions IF you force the cell phone into ANALOG mode...that are GSM ONLY with NO analog capability at all...
Yes your correct most are analog only, but there are a couple models available for GSM...though it's likely you would have to import it from Europe at this time.

[Quote=dishrich]...WHERE I can buy one of these systems? Are these still made - if not, that does a lot of good, doesn't it? [/Quote] At the time these were produced by MOT for Ameritech Wireless... I do not think MOT produces these units any longer so I suppose it doesn't do any good for you... But since I haven't worked for the company in well over 5 years I don't know this for a fact.
dishrich said:
If you are talking about that I need a fax line, you STILL have to buy basic VONAGE service starting at $15, so now we are up to $25 just to run the fax machine - I can keep my analog phone for LESS than THAT! Also, while obviously VONAGE would work for the DBS box, what about all the people that are cell only, but do NOT have/use/need broadband.
I presented this as an option, not everyone in here knows how available VOIP services are or that they are relatively inexpensive...I posted this information for others benefit... This is not a private argument, actually it's not a argument at all, so please don't get defensive, I'm sure others are learning about options as we banter back and forth...
dishrich said:
Well yes, but aren't you paying extra for a "data grade service" through your cell phone carrier, via a direct data link with your Dell? (typically called a "data ready phone")
No I actually don't pay extra. I have the standard Verizon National plan...It could be included, but I didn't request it.
dishrich said:
Also, you STILL haven't addressed the problem of HOW is the DBS box supposed to tell the cell phone when it's done dialing, to actually SEND the call. (hitting a #, *, or the send key itself)
If the unit your using has a tone generator and software to support, why would you need to hit extra characters, besides this is what initialization strings are for.
dishrich said:
While I'm think the DBS co. need to look at this to make THEIR products more compable with services OTHER than analog land lines, they obviously have not done this yet. And like I said, they are eventually going to be forced to.
Never disagreed with this...Only presented that there are OPTIONS...

Peace,
Jason

nippjas said:
This is not a private argument, actually it's not a argument at all, so please don't get defensive,​

I'm not & no problem - just pointing out there is really not a simple "plug & play" solution for the masses.

If the unit your using has a tone generator and software to support, why would you need to hit extra characters, besides this is what initialization strings are for.

How do these devices know when you are finished dialing your number & is ready to be dialed? Obviously, NOT all numbers being dialed out would be 10-digits & if you read the instructions on some of these, most require a "#" being dialed at the END of the dialing string, NOT the beginning. How do you propose making the satellite box do this, since IT is the one instigating the dialing?

dishrich said:
How do these devices know when you are finished dialing your number & is ready to be dialed? Obviously, NOT all numbers being dialed out would be 10-digits & if you read the instructions on some of these, most require a "#" being dialed at the END of the dialing string, NOT the beginning. How do you propose making the satellite box do this, since IT is the one instigating the dialing?
In the 847 area code everything is 10 digit including numbers within 847 :D Sorry it's irrelevant...just had to throw that out...;)

The units are software driven, this is no different then your phone at the office automatically dialing audix or initializing call forwarding (macro based phones). When I initialize a dial up connection, I can create strings to obtain a desired amount of pauses, enter a calling card number, insert the pound key, or when necessary insert asterisk 70 to cancel call waiting. There is no reason, with capable software, that you couldn't enter a "send" key command.

I guess I would have to agree with you that this isn't exactly "Plug and Play" but it is an option none-the-less...

Jason

nippjas said:
The units are software driven, this is no different then your phone at the office automatically dialing audix or initializing call forwarding (macro based phones). When I initialize a dial up connection, I can create strings to obtain a desired amount of pauses, enter a calling card number, insert the pound key, or when necessary insert asterisk 70 to cancel call waiting. There is no reason, with capable software, that you couldn't enter a "send" key command.

You need to re-read the instructions with these "cell socket", or equivalent units. Once your analog device goes off-hook, (the modem in the DBS box, in this example) the cell socket will NOT do ANYTHING until it receives a # AFTER the number it is dialing into, which instructs the cell socket to "send" the outbound call. Again, how DO you propose to make this happen, since the DBS box CANNOT be reprogrammed (at least NOT by an end-user) to insert # AT THE END OF THE OUTBOUND DIALING SEQUENCE??? I suppose the software in the CS COULD be reprog to SEND after 10-digits, but my point is - they DON'T now. Do YOU know how to reprog a CS, since there is nothing for the end user TO prog now? You keep comparing this to an office phone, but the point is - a DBS box is NOT an office phone; it's preprogrammed to dial a specific number on a "reqular" phone line.

If you are SO sure this works, get one & let me know how it goes. I'm sure there would be LOTS of people on this board alone interested in this & I'm quite sure others have figured out this would NOT work before now.

dishrich said:
You need to re-read the instructions with these "cell socket", or equivalent units. Once your analog device goes off-hook, (the modem in the DBS box, in this example) the cell socket will NOT do ANYTHING until it receives a # AFTER the number it is dialing into, which instructs the cell socket to "send" the outbound call. Again, how DO you propose to make this happen, since the DBS box CANNOT be reprogrammed (at least NOT by an end-user) to insert # AT THE END OF THE OUTBOUND DIALING SEQUENCE??? I suppose the software in the CS COULD be reprog to SEND after 10-digits, but my point is - they DON'T now. Do YOU know how to reprog a CS, since there is nothing for the end user TO prog now? You keep comparing this to an office phone, but the point is - a DBS box is NOT an office phone; it's preprogrammed to dial a specific number on a "reqular" phone line.

If you are SO sure this works, get one & let me know how it goes. I'm sure there would be LOTS of people on this board alone interested in this & I'm quite sure others have figured out this would NOT work before now.
Again it sounds like your getting defensive and your taking my comments as a personal attack...I am attempting to create a creative dialog here...I am not referring to a "Cell Socket" in particular...I am referring to another device, which is similar in concept, as I have described or such as buckwild has linked...read buckwild's post, it specifically states it will generate a dial tone and that it will allow phone, fax, Tivo, etc...

Jason

nippjas said:
Dish requires a couple models, 921, 811, 721, and 522 I believe, correct me if I'm wrong,
Jason
721 doesn't need to be plugged in
(at least not to save $5. the user agreement may say you do)

dishrich said:

Have you looked at Efa:mad:or the competitors)? Might be cheaper than keeping a landline

nippjas said:
Again it sounds like your getting defensive and your taking my comments as a personal attack...I am attempting to create a creative dialog here...I am not referring to a "Cell Socket" in particular...I am referring to another device, which is similar in concept, as I have described or such as buckwild has linked...read buckwild's post, it specifically states it will generate a dial tone and that it will allow phone, fax, Tivo, etc...

I'm not getting defensive - I'm just trying to make you understand that there is NO device out there (yet) that WILL sucessfully allow you to use a DBS box on a cell phone.
You also keep talking about "generating a dial tone" - so what, the cell socket generates dial tone as well. The dial tone is NOT the problem - it's changing the dialing string of the DBS setop to work with these devices. Until IT can be changed, I don't see how you think any of them will work. (But, MAYBE this Sprint unit knows to dial after a certain "time-out" of the dialing sequence)

Unfortunately, you couldn't pay ME enough to switch to Sprint...

Big Bob said:
Have you looked at Efa:mad:or the competitors)? Might be cheaper than keeping a landline

No, because I really DON'T want to have to change my fax# - you cannot port your existing landline# over to it.
Not that it matters, but they do NOT even offer phone numbers in my area code, either.

dishrich said:
No, because I really DON'T want to have to change my fax# - you cannot port your existing landline# over to it.
Not that it matters, but they do NOT even offer phone numbers in my area code, either.
Not trying to sell you anything, just stating for information of all...with Vonage, in most cases you could keep your existing phone number. I say in most cases because they have a "see if your number can be transferred" tool on their website.

Jason

video62 said:

GEEZE LOUISE, did you see how much THIS one is??? :eek: :eek:

So, if the Telular unit is so easy to install and can effectively replace your existing landlines without forcing you to buy new telephones for your home or office, then why isn't it more popular? The main reason is price. The Telular units sell for about $600

Guess I can't bitch too much about $150 I spent on my cellsocket... :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)