Did Dish Network ever enable the "add locals" feature for the OTA dongle?

first lets get guide data for all sub channels so we can watch and record ota, then lets add new features like this coming soon button.

Reactions: foghorn2
Is there a thread that Dish/DIRT checks regarding guide data for OTA? In the Birmingham market, Sinclair moved "ABC 33/40" from channels 33-1 and 40-1 to 17-2, 68-2, and the "main" station WBMA 58-1 (WBMA is a LD station). There is no guide info for any of these, but Dish has it for "WABM2 40" on satellite. All they have to do is to make some kind of entry to their system to map that guide data to 17-2, 68-1, and 58-1. Reckon if there is any way for them to make a simple fix of this?

first lets get guide data for all sub channels so we can watch and record ota, then lets add new features like this coming soon button.

What? I am finally planning to upgrade my 622 and 612 with a hopper and a couple of joeys. Now you say the guide data for the sub channels I currently have on my VIP receivers will go away? Is that correct?
Also, the CSR assured me that I will be able to watch the OTA channels on the TV's connected to the Joey's Is that correct?

What? I am finally planning to upgrade my 622 and 612 with a hopper and a couple of joeys. Now you say the guide data for the sub channels I currently have on my VIP receivers will go away? Is that correct?
Also, the CSR assured me that I will be able to watch the OTA channels on the TV's connected to the Joey's Is that correct?
I'm not sure what you are talking about guide date... But if you have an OTA connected to the module on the hopper, and the joeys are linked to that hopper, they should be able to watch the OTA channels.

ViP and Xip receivers generally use the same guide data (same stations), the Hopper (XIP) just has a few extras in a few spots.

What he said.

Thanks to all for the replies and clarifications. The setup I'm going for is one hopper and two Joey's with one of the Joey's being wireless. This is a really simple setup but Dish still won't let me do it myself. My house if prewired with RG6 so it's just a simple matter.
If Dish insists on sending an installer just to swap out the receivers, I suppose i'll first need to "move" back home, then wait about a month to "move" again.

It is important to note that, if you have the OTA module, you can watch those OTA channels on the Joeys, but just one channel at a time. If you are watching an OTA channel on the Hopper you can only see that channel on the Joey, or reverse.

It is more than a 'receiver swap.' Hopper installations are different than what you presently have. You can actually move back, get the install and then move back to your other city the next day...

The Hopper requires a special wiring node. Installer will also check for your most reliable internet connection. So again, NO...not a simple swap. My install took a couple of hours IIRC.

It is more than a 'receiver swap.' Hopper installations are different than what you presently have. You can actually move back, get the install and then move back to your other city the next day...
Just curious. When you call to "move", what explanation would you use? Perhaps the CSR's don't really care and just make the switch upon request, no questions asked?

There are a few reasons why they don't care. One, they are not paid to care. Secondly, so many people call in with RV's, changing addresses frequently is normal.

DISH doesn't care about "moving" to get the locals you want. The law says that the sat companies can't "knowingly" sell the sub the out of area local channels. They don't ask and if you don't tell them the truth ,they don't care. They make the same money regardless. Now if you have problems requiring a tech visit , you need to "move" back in order to schedule it,or learn to do your own repairs ,installs, etc.-like I did.

Reactions: bobvick
It is important to note that, if you have the OTA module, you can watch those OTA channels on the Joeys, but just one channel at a time. If you are watching an OTA channel on the Hopper you can only see that channel on the Joey, or reverse.
I think that makes sense since there's probably only one OTA tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts