Did I Just Made Most Stupid Move of this Year?

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I think acted irrationally...
now I feel like ranting about it....
what do you guys think?

What I had was one of the most envious dish package. HD Absolute

Well some relatives are on visit to U.S. for couple of months so I was wanting to add International package which would have raised bill from $70 to $110-120 and had intention to keep it...

I had VIP 722 and DVR 625, since I have another HDTV, I wanted to use additional package as bargain chip to upgrade my 625 to 722 without paying $300 in addition to lease fee. I requested them to upgrade 625, but their offer was do 2-year contract (later on that) if you want to FREE (of course lease+DVR fee) upgrade to 722 or else pay $300 and lease+ DVR fee. I tried to esclate it and they transfered me to ROYAL CUST. dept. Well they did not budge and I threaten to cancel or downgrade to minimum instead of adding...well they called my bluff and I got pissed and ended canceling
- HD-Adsolute
- Locals
- DHPP
- Premium worth of $10
- And HD receiver.
+ added international I was looking for until contract expires....

I am well aware that HD-Abs is now gone for me and CANNOT be added again. for now there is now live TV for me expect Int. ch that I have no intreset in (other family members do...)

I think I acted on my impulse and now thaught of returning 722 is making me naustalgic already of good time with it.

Is there something I could've differently that would have resulted in WIN WIN situation instead of LOSE LOSE for both?

There are no free or low-cost equipment upgrades without a commitment. So, the win-win would have been to commit and all would have been well.

There are no free or low-cost equipment upgrades without a commitment. So, the win-win would have been to commit and all would have well.

The reason is I just moved few months ago. I was initially told and sold DHPP that would allow free dish mover service. However When installer arrived he said I have no line of sight and in order to comply with apartment guideline and have still have dish, It needs to be mounted on tripod and it is not part of FREE installation. So I had to pony up ~ $90 for supposably FREE installation. I will be moving to New Orleans in mid 2010 and I didn't want to have installation issues by locking my self up...

I wasn't asking for free receiver. I was returning 625 for 722 and willing to pay ~$14 per month receiver related fees.

Let me also add that Dish has multiple call centers throughout the United States and so on. A good tip..... If you call and the CSR you're talking too doesn't seem to want to go that extra mile for your service, HANG UP and call again. I know that sounds like a pain in the rear (cause it is), but sometimes its worth it. Every CSR is different and they will each go to different lengths. Some CSR's will not do a thing for you, some will do whatever it takes.

All in all, you should have just signed the extended customer agreement :p - Lets be honest, nothing is free. Its not too late to call back and try to work out a deal for coming back. Either way, good luck.

I was returning 625 for 722 and willing to pay ~$14 per month receiver related fees.

EDIT: This is still an upgrade, which warrants an extended user agreement.

As for the tripod installation costing money.... never heard of that (at least not here).

You think the tripod should be free?

Seems working in Michigan, we do whatever it takes to get the job done. I do a lot of work I dont think should be free, but it is anyway. So NO I dont personally think a tripod should be free. We have a high risk job and a tripod on a roof is that much more dangerous, but I guess it is what it is.

I don't think they should be making a portable install. I gather the tripod is movable. Maybe a pole mount was not acceptable to the apt mgmt. But a tripod where anyone can mess with it is not an acceptable solution. Tripod on the roof? Strange, if that's so.

Perhaps a quick call, asking to be connected to customer retention, and they may be more than happy to bring you back into the fold. Especially if you still have the equipment.

I don't think they should be making a portable install. I gather the tripod is movable. Maybe a pole mount was not acceptable to the apt mgmt. But a tripod where anyone can mess with it is not an acceptable solution.

Perhaps a quick call, asking to be connected to customer retention, and they may be more than happy to bring you back into the fold. Especially if you still have the equipment.

A tripod can be bolted to the roof, making it permanent. Im surprised the appt. would even allow a roof mount. In most MDU's you cannot install dish in a common area (not that I see a roof as such but yea).

Not sure why a tripod roof mount is any better than the standard pipe. Maybe to hoist it higher for marginal LOS?

Not to be a poop, but he never said the tripod was mounted to the roof.

Wow....just re-read...lol

However When installer arrived he said I have no line of sight and in order to comply with apartment guideline and have still have dish, It needs to be mounted on tripod and it is not part of FREE installation.
The reason "roof" tripod mount was assumed is because he said NLOS without tripod. If thats the case a rail mount would have sufficed. Would could get into an SBCA discussion if it has to do with permission.

Last edited:
Not for you but for that poor pooch you just screwed.

didn't get the joke:(

... Perhaps a quick call, asking to be connected to customer retention, and they may be more than happy to bring you back into the fold. Especially if you still have the equipment....

I did that. First I called late night around 12 central. I explained him my hesitation regarding contract extiention and hung up saying I will need more time to think. which he replied " I am going to note your account regarding this conversation..."

I hung up thinking that brightest of CSR wont be working graveyard shift so I called back during business hours hoping to settle it, but second was not only budging but was also rude that led me to make impulse decision

Yeah, let me clear that. They could not installed on cement-ceiling tiles or roof edge. The only option they offered was 8-10 ft pole mount with tripod in patio/balcony.

I have read millions of rants against dish in these forums who wish dish failure as company because they did not fulfill their satisfaction. I don't want to be one of those bitter customer but I still wish they should ve met half way with my offer.

The byproduct of having dish network was that I discovered satelliteguys and quickly I became very active member of this message board (reading mostly). I bookmarked this website for daily visit and update on threads IN MY PHONE!!!!

I enjoyed reading scott's blog, icrberg & uplink guy's comments, installer's stories and all the rumors and chat. Now I am gonna miss all that. It is kinda farewell tread for me because....

I ordered Verison FIOS triple play with extreme HD (I suppose to get 115+HD). They have been spamming me with snail mail. Bundle will also save me few dollars overall. I have been building HTPC and will be using Media Center with cablecard to get hopefully one the best DVR and HD service. The FIOS section on this site is not as active as Dish network. I will be stopping by once in while to see whats new with dish.

General thanks to everyone who has been helpful, and I wish all the best to mods with this site.

lucky

I ordered Verison FIOS triple play with extreme HD (I suppose to get 115+HD). They have been spamming me with snail mail. Bundle will also save me few dollars overall. I have been building HTPC and will be using Media Center with cablecard to get hopefully one the best DVR and HD service. The FIOS section on this site is not as active as Dish network. I will be stopping by once in while to see whats new with dish.

General thanks to everyone who has been helpful, and I wish all the best to mods with this site.

Boy you just lucked out on that one

Nothing against Dish, I have them and like them and have always been treated fairly. Of course nothing is free, but with a 2 year commitment you'd of had a 722 sounds like. It sounds more like lack of communication on both sides. You were afraid of having to pay for another install, so you didn't want the contract. I don't know if they knew that or not. You more than likely would have gotten a free dishmover install if you moved under contract anyway.

Too bad you live in an apartment though. Not a ton of legal FTA out there that most people would enjoy versus pay tv, but there's a lot of international programming over the air free with Ku and C band satellite FTA. Good luck getting that in your apartment though :) Good luck with Verizon.

Boy you just lucked out on that one
Yeah I think so, that is only thing has cheered me so far out of this foe.

I already had FIOS internet 5 down /2 up. I have AT & T callvantage VOIP for phone but they are terminating VOIP service. So I had to find another phone provider. After canceling Dish I went to verizon site and I was able to order 25/15 MBPS fiber optic internet, Local phone service (no nationwide long distance though), and extreme HD including 1 HD receiver (no DVR) fee and cable card for media center...all came up to $104.98 (including phone/TV franchise fees) + sales tax.

They are coming in tommorow. Lets hope I get everything they are promising, because price sounds too good to be true...

Let me also add that Dish has multiple call centers throughout the United States and so on. A good tip..... If you call and the CSR you're talking too doesn't seem to want to go that extra mile for your service, HANG UP and call again. I know that sounds like a pain in the rear (cause it is), but sometimes its worth it. Every CSR is different and they will each go to different lengths. Some CSR's will not do a thing for you, some will do whatever it takes.

All in all, you should have just signed the extended customer agreement :p - Lets be honest, nothing is free. Its not too late to call back and try to work out a deal for coming back. Either way, good luck.

EDIT: This is still an upgrade, which warrants an extended user agreement.

As for the tripod installation costing money.... never heard of that (at least not here).
tri pods cost $$ and are not reimbursed by Dish. The business cannot afford to give away such items therefore we do charge for them.

Seems working in Michigan, we do whatever it takes to get the job done. I do a lot of work I dont think should be free, but it is anyway. So NO I dont personally think a tripod should be free. We have a high risk job and a tripod on a roof is that much more dangerous, but I guess it is what it is.
Tri pods are not for roofs.
We user them for RV's as standalone mounts for travelers. We also use them at apartments where management rules disallow attachemnt of antennas to the structure.

Tri pods are not for roofs.
We user them for RV's as standalone mounts for travelers. We also use them at apartments where management rules disallow attachemnt of antennas to the structure.

Ill post some pictures of some tripods on roofs here in Michigan. Give me a few days. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts