Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

DDD just stopped at one of my favorite places - Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield, CT

Amazing dogs, homemade condiments. Just awesome.

About 2 mins off of I-95 exit 24.

Anyone ever heard of Catfish John's out of Arkansas?

I've been to the Catfish Johns in Rogers, AR. Was pretty decent if you like catfish. Okra wasn't too bad either... ;)

I know you guys are going to get a laugh out of this, but there's a place called Hobe's Grille located in Pikeville, KY that has great double bacon cheeseburgers - and it's in the 1st floor of Pikeville Medical Center. Gives new meaning to "hospital food". BTW, the burger was about $4

I know you guys are going to get a laugh out of this, but there's a place called Hobe's Grille located in Pikeville, KY that has great double bacon cheeseburgers - and it's in the 1st floor of Pikeville Medical Center. Gives new meaning to "hospital food". BTW, the burger was about $4

There's no laughing when it comes to Dives. That's what makes them so great. They're diamonds in the rough and are usually hard to find. Usually only the locals know about them.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Keep em coming...

Anyone ever heard of Catfish John's out of Arkansas?

I've been to the Catfish Johns in Rogers, AR. Was pretty decent if you like catfish. Okra wasn't too bad either... ;)

I'd be in heaven. Two of my favorites. :hungry:

The best BBQ in Michigan can be found on US12 east of Brooklyn Near Pentacost highway, recommend it if your in Michigan driving through and I really recommend taking US12 to see rural Michigan instead of taking I-94 or I-96.

I dont know if this is still open but in Dexter Michigan there's an A&W drive in that I went to with my family growing up and it has the best chilli dog foot longs and onion rings and root beer in real frosted glass mugs that makes the hottest summer day seem like a comfortable spring day.

In these parts A&W has merged into Long John Silvers and KFC. The A&W part of the menu is similar to when it was independent, just fewer items. They still have chillidogs. If you eat in you can get your rootbeer in a frosted mug from a self-serve tap, and the one inside the LSJ still has RB floats (not sure about the one in KFC). I don't think the footlongs are on either of our local menus - I'll have to look next time I'm in...

We still have it in 2L bottles in our local grocery store. (I have 2 at home now, 1 regular and 1 diet.) Not sure if it's the same or close to what you "draught" yourself in the eatery...

The root beer served at A&W's is bag in a box, run through a carbonation system. Unfortunately not the same as the car side service days.

Ohio to North Carolina: DDD's along the Way...

Well, I recently completed my vacation and road-trip destination (Triple D Style) along the way....

I took pictures of the places I visited and will add them later, but here's what I discovered...

May's Restaurant- Frederick, Maryland. This place specializes in seafood (crabs specifically) and you could smell the aroma from the parking lot. This "dive" had the appearance of an older New England style home converted into a restaurant. It was small and quaint. Most of the people there seemed to be locals as it was slightly off the beaten path of Route 270. As we walked in, all the tables were aligned with thick brown paper and a wooden mallet for breaking the crab shells. There was a 5 gallon bucket on the floor for the shell scraps. I could already tell it was going to be a great place...

My wife got the Steamed Crab legs seasoned in Old Bay and dipped in clarified butter. I got the Crab cake sandwich. Both were amazing. Overall, it was a great experience and the next time we drive through Maryland, we're heading to May's again.

Pierce's BBQ Pit- Williamsburg, VA. After 8-9 hours in the car, I was ready for a nice big dinner. As some of you know, I BBQ quite often myself, so I'm always interested to see how others do as well. With that said, I'm often very critical since I've created some of my own masterpieces in the past. Pierce's was packed when we got there. It wasn't near the main drag of Colonial Willamsburg, so it seemed to deter some of the vacationers and instead seemed full of locals. (Always a good gauge to tell if a place is good or not).

You place your order at the counter and they give you a ticket while you wait for your order to be complete. They have a separate smoke shack in the back of the restaurant that I was quite amazed with. Apparently this is where all the magic happens. For dinner, I ordered the BBQ Dinner which included a side of Pulled Pork covered with their signature sauce, fries, baked beans, cole slaw and hush puppies. The wife and I also got a half-slab of Baby Backs to share. Everything was good, but the ribs were a bit soggy. While I'd definitely recommend this place, I was expecting better. Maybe it's the tough critic in me. Don't get me wrong, everyone in my family loved it (all 12 of us). I may just want to try someplace new next time, that's all.

Doumar's- Norfolk, VA. This was our most anticipated visit. This place was featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. It specializes in Ice Cream and BBQ and they've been doing it since 1904!! Unfortunately, it was a Sunday when we were driving through VA, so as we pulled in, the parking lot was empty. It was closed!!! We were both bummed. I really wanted to visit this place. :( Oh well, maybe next time.

Upstate NY... Buffalo's Best DDD

We recently made a visit to Upstate NY to visit some family. On the way, we made a stop in Buffalo at the now famous, Anchor Bar.

This is the place that originated the Buffalo Wing. This is the 3rd time we've visited and each time we order the Medium Wings. The wings are so crisp, the sauce with just enough spice. The buffalo sauce is just the right consistency of hot sauce, butter and vinegar. What else can I say? Every time we've been there it's been packed, but seats open up quickly since it's so large. This place does great business and rightfully so. Hands down the BEST wings I've ever had! Highly recommended!

We recently made a visit to Upstate NY to visit some family. On the way, we made a stop in Buffalo at the now famous, Anchor Bar.

This is the place that originated the Buffalo Wing. This is the 3rd time we've visited and each time we order the Medium Wings. The wings are so crisp, the sauce with just enough spice. The buffalo sauce is just the right consistency of hot sauce, butter and vinegar. What else can I say? Every time we've been there it's been packed, but seats open up quickly since it's so large. This place does great business and rightfully so. Hands down the BEST wings I've ever had! Highly recommended!

As someone familiar with Buffalo Wings- and Buffalo- you've clearly become a man after my heart.

BTW, word of advice the next time you go there: try the New York Vanilla Cheesecake.

May's Restaurant- Frederick, Maryland. This place specializes in seafood (crabs specifically) and you could smell the aroma from the parking lot. This "dive" had the appearance of an older New England style home converted into a restaurant. It was small and quaint. Most of the people there seemed to be locals as it was slightly off the beaten path of Route 270. As we walked in, all the tables were aligned with thick brown paper and a wooden mallet for breaking the crab shells. There was a 5 gallon bucket on the floor for the shell scraps. I could already tell i

May's is about a mile from my house as are several other Crab Houses. Glad you enjoyed the experience. Next time plan on staying in Frederick a little longer and I'll be happy to show you our wonderful downtown and take you to the ultimate dive with the best burgers and fries in town....WAGS. With all the great food available in Frederick, it is not hard to keep up with my name....LEFATMAN.

:):):):):)

What it takes to be the BEST....

A special comment by HD MM on a most heavenly experience....

The term "best" is thrown around too much. Everyone's guilty of using it too liberally, myself included. Typically, something one person thinks is the "best", another person might not. When it comes down to it, the term is usually debatable and not a fact.

With that said, from this day forward, I will be more careful when I use the word in the future, for I had a life changing moment today.....

I just had THE BEST corned beef ever. I can see how other past claims can be debated, but there is NO debate this time. This is a fact. For lunch, I had the BEST Rueben Sandwich ever at Slymans on St. Clair Ave in Cleveland! For anyone ever visiting, I highly recommend this Diner/Deli.

Sadly, every corned beef I have from here on out will be a disappointment of mass proportions as I really don't think anyone can top this. Tender, tasty, moist, lean, succulent. It was a heavenly experience.

withswiss.jpg

Slymans Restaurant in the Media

A special comment by HD MM on a most heavenly experience....

The term "best" is thrown around too much. Everyone's guilty of using it too liberally, myself included. Typically, something one person thinks is the "best", another person might not. When it comes down to it, the term is usually debatable and not a fact.

With that said, from this day forward, I will be more careful when I use the word in the future, for I had a life changing moment today.....

I just had THE BEST corned beef ever. I can see how other past claims can be debated, but there is NO debate this time. This is a fact. For lunch, I had the BEST Rueben Sandwich ever at Slymans on St. Clair Ave in Cleveland! For anyone ever visiting, I highly recommend this Diner/Deli.

Sadly, every corned beef I have from here on out will be a disappointment of mass proportions as I really don't think anyone can top this. Tender, tasty, moist, lean, succulent. It was a heavenly experience.

withswiss.jpg

Slymans Restaurant in the Media

:up:up:up:up Slymans is delicious. Just looking at it makes me want to drive downtown to get one!

:up:up:up:up Slymans is delicious. Just looking at it makes me want to drive downtown to get one!

It sure is. I just don't know how/why I've never been there before. (Today for lunch was my first time). I've lived here my whole life and it's taken me 27 years to finally eat there!

It sure is. I just don't know how/why I've never been there before. (Today for lunch was my first time). I've lived here my whole life and it's taken me 27 years to finally eat there!
I'm sure you'll be back now....When I worked downtown, I'd make sure to get there at least once a month.

I met my old man there for lunch, and I told him this...

A good way to tell if a deli will be good or not is by tasting their pickles. Funny, but true. Anywhere you go, sandwiches are almost always served with pickles. Personally I've never been a big pickle person, mostly because the kind that are served in delis are often way too sour, soggy, limp and well, "pickley" tasting.

This pickle they served at Slymans however was excellent. It was a half a pickle slice (instead of a quarter or eighth). It was crisp and not soggy. It was the perfect blend of sour mixed in with flavors of garlic. I could tell after biting into that pickle, that if this deli put that much effort in their pickles, the sandwich that followed would surely be excellent too. Turns out I was right.

I met my old man there for lunch, and I told him this...

A good way to tell if a deli will be good or not is by tasting their pickles. Funny, but true. Anywhere you go, sandwiches are almost always served with pickles. Personally I've never been a big pickle person, mostly because the kind that are served in delis are often way too sour, soggy, limp and well, "pickley" tasting.

This pickle they served at Slymans however was excellent. It was a half a pickle slice (instead of a quarter or eighth). It was crisp and not soggy. It was the perfect blend of sour mixed in with flavors of garlic. I could tell after biting into that pickle, that if this deli put that much effort in their pickles, the sandwich that followed would surely be excellent too. Turns out I was right.

I love pickles. I havn't been in a while, but Jack's Deli at Cedar & Green had some good ones. In the grocery store, Don Herman's/Nathan's half-sours should be tried by everyone...you'll never go back to vlasic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)