DirecTivo HR10-250 Blowout!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For those who got this deal, is the HD DVR yours to keep even if you cancel your account? Or is this more of a lease? The reason I ask is that I'm a current DTV customer as of last fall (switched for the ticket), but I'm moving in one month. My plan was to cancel my account and then sign up at the new address under my wife's name to get the NFL Ticket discount. We will need a HD DVR for my new set, so figured this is the perfect deal IF i can keep it after cancelling. Thoughts?

ajbuster

ajbuster said:
For those who got this deal, is the HD DVR yours to keep even if you cancel your account? Or is this more of a lease? The reason I ask is that I'm a current DTV customer as of last fall (switched for the ticket), but I'm moving in one month. My plan was to cancel my account and then sign up at the new address under my wife's name to get the NFL Ticket discount.
It is indeed a lease.

If you just signed up last fall, aren't you still under contract?

scottie_h said:
It is indeed a lease.

If you just signed up last fall, aren't you still under contract?

Good point...hadn't thought about that! I'm guessing it is a 1 yr. contract which in my case will expire the end of August I believe. I wonder if I'd get a better deal trying to get Customer retention to 'keep me' by trying to cancel then, instead of actually cancelling and just getting the new customer deal with the ticket? Any thoughts?!

ajbuster

One quick question about the free Tivo HD DVR...does it have the RF remote so the box can be in a component closet but the remote in a room 20-30 feet away?

lou_do said:
I was told they come with:
1 HDMI to DVI cable
1 HDMI cable
1 Component cable
1 composite A/V cable
1 S-Video cable

Will know for sure next week when they install mine.

For sure, they do come with all 3 HD cables. Got them when they installed my unit yesterday.

I called Retention and this is what they offered me. She said the HD-DVR wasn't a Tivo one? I thought all the HR10-250 were? Is that correct? Also, if I had D install the new dish, what I still need an OTA? I currently have 4 coax running to my dish and I have a 5x8 multiswitch.

1 HD-DVR
$5.00 off bill for 6 months
3 months free Showtime
3 months free Stars
shipping is $19.99.

They are all run by Tivo software right now except the Standard Definition R15. Unless she specified HR20 which is only slated for partial run in Los Angeles in the coming weeks, I doubt its anything but the HR10 Tivo. Great deal so I would take it.

The HR10 Tivo is best served with an over the air antenna as you can not get the HD locals being rolled out by D*. Those are in MPEG4 and require the new AT9 Dish. As of now, there isnt a DVR that can record those.

Call back and make sure if they are doing an install to do the AT9 dish for the future. Its a bit bigger then the current dish but is built for the future MPEG4 stuff.

Last edited:
Brewer, if I do not get the Off-Air Antenna, I know I wouldn't be able to get the locals in HD but would I still get the locals in SD and be able to record those?

shramj said:
Brewer, if I do not get the Off-Air Antenna, I know I wouldn't be able to get the locals in HD but would I still get the locals in SD and be able to record those?

Yes. This thing will be doing SD channels until Tivo is no more with D*. They just signed a 3 year extension so this unit will be doing SD for a long time. It will do the national HD stuff too until they eventually move all HD to MPEG4 but the way things are going I dont see that happening anytime soon.

I tell you what shramj if you can get a few HD locals OTA, its so worth it. What market do you live and how far are you from the towers. Check antennaweb.org for ideas on what you would need.

You have to really live out in the sticks to not be able to get reception with the OTA antennas available. I would definitely try, If you buy a antenna from a big store ( Lowes, Radio Shack ) you can always return it if it doesn't work and try another. :eureka

Thanks for the input guys. I actually called D back and ordered my free HR10-250. I also ordered the OTA for $49.99, the rep said it is made by Winegard and looks like a boomerang that connects to the dish. Anyways, this is what I got today when I called the Retention department.

1 HR10-250 for free, I had to pay $19.99 for shipping and commit to two years of service.
1 Winegard OTA Antenna for $49.99, D will install it
4 free months of HD service
3 months of Stars & Showtime for free

They are actually coming out on Monday to install everything, talk about fast service! They are going to move my existing SD Tivo in another room and connect my Samsung HD Ready Big Screen up to the HD Tivo. Should be a nice setup even though my bigscreen is about 5 years old. Thanks for all the input and I love this message board!

shramj said:
Should be a nice setup even though my bigscreen is about 5 years old. Thanks for all the input and I love this message board!

Know that feeling, got a Mitsubishi about that old and it only has component input, no HDMI connection.

lou_do said:
Know that feeling, got a Mitsubishi about that old and it only has component input, no HDMI connection.

Ditto. Still looks good though. Wish it had HDMI and was smaller but thats the price of being an early adopter.

Good luck with the setup shramj. If you have a good installer and the antenna works you will love it!! There is nothing better then the local HD stuff.

They are installing everything on Monday at 1-5pm. I will post a reply on either Monday or Tuesday and let you know how it all went. One thing that is cool is if the antenna works, I can compare what my TV can do with SD and HD. I also have component video on my TV.

I got my HR10-250 installed and they moved my standard Tivo in another room. They didn't have the antenna in stock so I have to call them in a week to see if they have it in. Besides that, I am a happy camper. I think my TV does pretty good in HD, nothing like the new TV's but still better then what it was.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts