DirectTV questions from longtime (maybe former) Dish subscriber.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bdresch

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
WI
I currently have Dish and am long out of any sort of contract. I have a VIP622 receiver which just died yesterday. Dish is sending me a new one, but I will be without a receiver until Monday. Normally I wouldn't care, but I am a Badger fan and for the first time EVER the Rose Bowl will not be on regular TV. Dish said there was nothing they could do to get me a new receiver by Saturday afternoon, so I will be forced into watching the game on my computer:mad:. I have also been wanting a VIP722K receiver for the added HD space, but they said they could only replace my 622 with another 622. So since I am in a pissed off mood about Dish, I decided it was time to explore my options. I tried digging around DirectTVs site, but figured the people on here could answer my questions better/faster.

1. I live in Appleton WI, with Dish right now I have 2 dishes pointed 2 directions to get all my channels, with Direct will I be able to get all my channels (including HD locals) with one dish?

2. The VIP622 receiver has 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner built in, I like this feature as it gives me the OTA option if I have 2 things recording off the dish. Does the DirectTV HD DVR have an OTA tuner?

3. I have my VIP622s SD TV2 output backfeed into a splitter in my basement to distribute to 2 other TVs in my house I use an RF remote for each of those 2 TVs. Is this possible with DirectTV with 1 receiver?

4. What is the lowest package I can get that will still have my regional sports network (FSN Wisconsin) Are the RSNs in HD on Direct?

Thanks

1. Yes. You would get the "slimline 5" which sees 99, 101, 103, 110, 119. Green Bay HD locals are on 99 or 103 but looking at a list CW & My (14 & 32) are only in SD and they are on 119. National HD is on 99 & 103, SD is on 101. 110 is vacant right now
2. You can add a AM21 for $50 plus tax on the D* site. It integrates into the HD DVR so you can get all the OTA locals in your area and an adjacent area if applicable. PLease note you are still limited to two streams (1 sat 1 OTA, 2 sat, 2 OTA) to record
3. The D* DVR's work (the best way to describe it) like a Dish dual DVR in single mode. There is only one "output" so if you hook up a remote TV it gets the same as what the main TV does. You can get a HD receiver and MRV (multiroom viewing) so you can view the stuff from the DVR in a remote room
4. Choice (basic advertised package) gets it. FSN Wisco is part time but is in HD all the time and is the same channel all the time (669 SD, 669-1 HD). You'll also get FS North (668) in HD too but obviously blackouts apply. The nice thing is if FS North has something on that pre-empts a national (FSN) game 99% of the time it will be put on 669. So if lets say a FSN "big" game is on and the Wild are on, 668 will have the Wild game and 669 will have the FSN game. So if you dont get the multisports package the only RSN's you need to have in the guide are 668 & 669.

If you get the multi sports pack most of the RSN"s are in HD 24/7. I think the only RSN's that aren't 24/7 in HD are FSN Ohio & FSN Cincy. Even the non 24/7 RSN's like FSN Wisco, Houston, Indiana, Utah, etc are HD for games. If it isnt in HD they will have the black bars on the side. Right now I saw a Texas mens bb game on FSN Houston and the game isnt in HD but its in HD (has the FS HOUSTON HD down the sides)

Last edited:
3. The D* DVR's work (the best way to describe it) like a Dish dual DVR in single mode. There is only one "output" so if you hook up a remote TV it gets the same as what the main TV does. You can get a HD receiver and MRV (multiroom viewing) so you can view the stuff from the DVR in a remote room

So if I got a D* DVR attached to my main TV and one plain HD receiver with the MRV I could view anything from my DVR on the HD receiver?

So if I had the standard HD receiver in my bedroom, could the output on that receiver be backfed via coax to a splitter and viewed in other rooms? I suppose that would only work if D* had RF remotes. I assume the do?

What I am thinking for a setup would be a DVR on my main TV, a plain HD receiver in my bedroom backfed to other rooms (would act like TV2 on my E* receiver). I would lose the ability to record 3 streams like I can now (1OTA and 2 dish) but I would gain multiroom HD instead of the SD TV2 I have now.

So if I got a D* DVR attached to my main TV and one plain HD receiver with the MRV I could view anything from my DVR on the HD receiver?
if you have MRV activated on the account yes you can

So if I had the standard HD receiver in my bedroom, could the output on that receiver be backfed via coax to a splitter and viewed in other rooms?
yes. You would need a RF converter to convert from a/v cables to coax since the HD units do not have a coax output. Thats what I do. Have the HD receiver in the computer room and have a feed to the bedroom.

What I am thinking for a setup would be a DVR on my main TV, a plain HD receiver in my bedroom backfed to other rooms (would act like TV2 on my E* receiver). I would lose the ability to record 3 streams like I can now (1OTA and 2 dish) but I would gain multiroom HD instead of the SD TV2 I have now.
that would work. But remember you are a new customer only once so make sure you get all the receivers you **think** you need (or want). You can always disconnect one and save money versus adding one later and being charged for it (versus possibly being free at startup)

"2. You can add a AM21 for $50 plus tax on the D* site." Can you provide a link? $50 is lower than what's available from Etailers but I could not find this deal on the D* site. When I click on the order button for the AM21 it takes me to a DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit that they want me to order (which I think is sneaky).

Last edited:
Ok last question, maybe.

What would be the monthly cost after all the "offers" run out for:

Choice package
1 HD-DVR
1 HD reciever
Whole home DVR service

I looks like D* is just as much a pain in the butt as E* at showing you the real cost of their service after all the introductory offers are up.

"2. You can add a AM21 for $50 plus tax on the D* site." Can you provide a link? $50 is lower than what's available from Etailers but I could not find this deal on the D* site. When I click on the order button for the AM21 it takes me to a DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit that they want me to order (which I think is sneaky).

go down to "my equipment"
accessories
then add AM21 to cart

(see pic below)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 258
Since the OP mentioned wanting the Choice package & MRV I wanted to mention I've been w/ Direct since July, always on the Choice Xtra package. The fine print @ D*'s website for the whole-home DVR service says that Choice Xtra or higher is required to use the feature.

Can anyone here confirm that it's possible to use whole-home service w/ the Choice package? I'd love to downgrade but always thought it wasn't possible while keeping MRV.

Also to the OP, before July I was with Dish for almost 10 years and am very happy having left. The better PQ and extra features outweigh the sub-dish quality user interface and rare recording issues.

Last edited:
I'm a recent switcher as well. D*'s DVRs don't let you record as many streams as E*'s so do yourself a favor and if you have 4 TVs, get 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers. It'll cost you a little more up front but you'll save it (and more) in the first year with promos.

Tip #2: When you have an HD receiver on MRV and want to watch something from from one of your HD DVRs, but you want to watch it "now", not later, just start the recording on the HD DVR, wait a couple of minutes, and then start watching the recording on the HD receiver.

Tip #3: DirecTV2PC is your friend (assuming your computer has a decent output like HDMI and that your graphics card has the kahoonas to pull it off)

Since the OP mentioned wanting the Choice package & MRV I wanted to mention I've been w/ Direct since July, always on the Choice Xtra package. The fine print @ D*'s website for the whole-home DVR service says that Choice Xtra or higher is required to use the feature.

Can anyone here confirm that it's possible to use whole-home service w/ the Choice package? I'd love to downgrade but always thought it wasn't possible while keeping MRV.

Also to the OP, before July I was with Dish for almost 10 years and am very happy having left. The better PQ and extra features outweigh the sub-dish quality user interface and rare recording issues.

The D* site shows you can have MRV with Choice....For new subs it allows you to select it

I looks like D* is just as much a pain in the butt as E* at showing you the real cost of their service after all the introductory offers are up.

That is not true at all. If you are ordering on line, once you have things in the cart, you can click on a link at the top of the Package and Programming section (across from the zip code) that allows you to view your monthly costs out to 24 months (the end of your contract period). You can see exactly what your monthly cost will be (at current prices) every month once the promotions drop off. I was quite impressed that DirecTV was willing to make that available.

That is not true at all. If you are ordering on line, once you have things in the cart, you can click on a link at the top of the Package and Programming section (across from the zip code) that allows you to view your monthly costs out to 24 months (the end of your contract period). You can see exactly what your monthly cost will be (at current prices) every month once the promotions drop off. I was quite impressed that DirecTV was willing to make that available.

True, however what happens at 24 months when everything goes back up to full price? You're out of contract, but as an existing customer you're not eligible for new customer deals again, are you?

True, however what happens at 24 months when everything goes back up to full price? You're out of contract, but as an existing customer you're not eligible for new customer deals again, are you?

the promos are usually 10-12 months so you go to full price then. at least the ones i got were

The same goes with Dish Network and other providers, once you're out of your contract there are no new customer deals. (No soup for you) :)

I was gonna start a new thread, but the title on this one pretty much sums up my dilemma. I am currently an E* subscriber with a 722 receiver and an OTA antenna connected, using the 3rd OTA tuner. I like to DVR college football in the fall when I'm at work. I have been using the 722 to record one sat broadcast and one OTA broadcast, leaving the open tuner so the Mrs. can freely watch TV off the sat. I just added two more TVs and now I'm in need of an equipment change. I would end up with two HD TVs and two SD TVs. The simple answer would seem to be a 2nd 722, but the additional $17/month would make the cost more than the equivalent D* that included Whole Home DVR and to be honest, Whole Home DVR looks like the way to go, anyway. So, I'm about to pull the trigger, but I had a couple of simple questions that I didn't trust the D* CSR to get right. Here's what I am thinking:

Top Floor Living Room - 50" HD TV install HR24 DVR here, since we'll want HD and DVR here
Top Floor Bedroom - 19" SD TV install SD receiver since a 5-Year Old probably won't care about DVR or HD
Bottom Floor Master Bedroom - 26" HD TV install HR24DVR here, since we'll want HD and DVR here
Bottom Floor Baby's Bedroom - 22" SD TV instal H24 HD Receiver here, since Mom will want DVR in this room

I am assuming that with this setup, I can DVR 2 games/programs in the Master Bedroom and a 3rd in the Living Room. Every room, except the Master Bedroom would still be free to watch satellite broadcasts while the three recordings are going on, correct? Would they be able to watch DVR broadcasts from either of the HR24's (obviously the SD receiver would be an exception)? I understand that I'd never be able to watch more than two DVR broadcasts from either DVR, depending on the programming's physical location.

DirectTv is real good about offering contiuning promotions on your account. you just have to call and ask. I cal every couple of months and they are always able to knock something ($10-$25 per month) off. It may only last a few months but then you just call again. its kind of a pain but it only takes 5 minutes (great customer service) and you end of saving around $60-$75. not bad for 5 mins of phone work.

Contrary to what I just read Randall said. I do this a few times a year and they ALWAY oblige.

Sorry, read it wrong. I am out of contract and I get the deals. In contract you are set with what you have. They did offer me another HR-20 if I renewed my contract though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)