Directtv with out contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Who said anything about buying the equipment from DirecTV. We all know they would be charging MSRP and wind up being the most expensive.

From what I have seen, buying from D* is your only option if you want to own the equipment. I have not seen any retailers selling the equipment outright.

IF Directv will sell you the equipment outright, the cost will be higher than the "lease upgrade" fee plus the maximum cancellation charge.
They will my "friend" that works there offers to sell people equepment when people call up asking for it everyday.

Your item you have listed is not the HR20. It is the H21 non DVR receiver. The $129 would be the lease upgrade fee for the receiver not to purchase it.

You can get it at Costco for $89, and in some areas the H20 is still readily available.

You can get it at Costco for $89, and in some areas the H20 is still readily available.

The point is that it is not a purchase. It is a lease upgrade like I stated above. You leave D* they will expect you to return the equipment.

The point is that it is not a purchase. It is a lease upgrade like I stated above. You leave D* they will expect you to return the equipment.

I think most of us understand that. I merely wanted to be sure that everyone knows that there is a better price out there.

I think most of us understand that. I merely wanted to be sure that everyone knows that there is a better price out there.

Then why would you have quoted me and not the person that brought up the pricing. I never provided any pricing on the receivers.

Oh by the way looking at Al K's post it does not look like all people understand that it is a lease.

While most of us who come to this and the other major DBS site know about the leasing/buying I'd venture to guess the average D* customer has no idea. While my installer and I were putting up my new Slimline a month ago two of my neighbors asked what it was for. Since I still had the 3LNB up (the Slimline was going in a new location so the old dish stayed in place until the new dish was installed) they thought I was adding some kind of new service like international or internet. They're both D* customers but had their systems installed years ago. They treat it like cable, you turn it on, you change channel, and you watch TV. It works for them. They're happy. Neither have HDTV's and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. The very mention of leasing receivers made their eyes glass over and I was too busy at the time to explain.

Then why would you have quoted me and not the person that brought up the pricing. I never provided any pricing on the receivers.

Oh by the way looking at Al K's post it does not look like all people understand that it is a lease.

I quoted you because you had the correct information about it being a lease.
I used the word "most" because that is exactly what I meant.

The $129 would be the lease upgrade fee for the receiver not to purchase it.

So let me get this straight. If I go online or call MCM Electronics to buy the H20 receiver for $129.00, I'm not buying it...I'm leasing it. Or is the lease fee in addition to the purchase price from MCM? Just trying to understand.

OK....you're almost there. Yep, you're really not buying it, you're paying a fee so you can lease the unit. The monthly lease fee with D* for the H20 is $4.99 unless it is your primary in which case the lease fee is rolled into the basic service.

So let me get this straight. If I go online or call MCM Electronics to buy the H20 receiver for $129.00, I'm not buying it...I'm leasing it. Or is the lease fee in addition to the purchase price from MCM? Just trying to understand.

You would be leasing it. In addition to the up-front fee, there is a $4.99 monthly fee for each receiver after the first. There is also a monthly $5.99 DVR fee and $9.99 HD access fee if you have those features (these are once per account, no matter how many receivers you have).

Does the $129.00 price include shipping? Most places have it for $99.00 (Costco is less).

Just as if you had leased a vehicle from the local auto dealer, you should expect to pay a "drive-off" fee.

Yes, it is a lease and at $129 plus shipping is perhaps the most expensive route you can go. Either way, the monthly fee on the receiver will be $4.99.

Yes, you are subject to a 24 month programming commitment because it is an HD receiver (unless you chose to cancel in which case you'll be charged an early cancellation fee and forfeit your $129).

Asking the question repeatedly isn't going to change the answer.

Found this page. May clear some confusion up and also aid in making a decision to stick with E*. :D

DirecTV HR20-700 Hi-Def MPEG4 HDTV receiver

DIRECTV® requires a 24 month commitment and all equipment must be returned to DIRECTV® if customer cancels service with DIRECTV® Or buy a Vip622 for a few bucks more and it's yours to keep.:eek:

Found this page. May clear some confusion up and also aid in making a decision to stick with E*. :D

DirecTV HR20-700 Hi-Def MPEG4 HDTV receiver

DIRECTV® requires a 24 month commitment and all equipment must be returned to DIRECTV® if customer cancels service with DIRECTV® Or buy a Vip622 for a few bucks more and it's yours to keep.:eek:
lol, ask the HR-10 250 owners how GREAT it is that you can keep the box when its obselete. Honestly, owning isnt that big of a deal when you think about it.

lol, ask the HR-10 250 owners how GREAT it is that you can keep the box when its obselete. Honestly, owning isnt that big of a deal when you think about it.

Maybe so, But since you own the VIP622 you can always turn around and sell it and the biggest benefit is your free to move to FIOS or any other provider without some lame early cancellation fee. Also I don't see the 622 going obsolete for quite sometime. Do you? :eek:

But I totally agree purchasing a D* receiver would be a BAD move. Since it appears they already include the lease fee's in their programming prices. So regardless if you own or not you'll still end up paying.:D

Maybe so, But since you own the VIP622 you can always turn around and sell it and the biggest benefit is your free to move to FIOS or any other provider without some lame early cancellation fee. Also I don't see the 622 going obsolete for quite sometime. Do you? :eek:
Neither did the HR-10 250 owners. With technology advancing like it does, it could very well happen sooner than you think.
Sure you can sell it, lets see how close you get to what you paid.

Im not planning on moving early enough into any contract for the buyout to make that much of a difference. When and if i did(big if) the cancel fee would be pretty small.

But I totally agree purchasing a D* receiver would be a BAD move. Since it appears they already include the lease fee's in their programming prices. So regardless if you own or not you'll still end up paying.:D
Sure nobody but D* will nickle and dime you with fees.....:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)