Directv dish antenna not compatiable with any other brand receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rax

Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
United States
Hello

One of my friend gave me a used directv antenna set(SWM 3 LNB slimline dish??) for free and I'm wondering if it works with non directv satellite receiver because I'm considering to get a FTA receiver in the market. but Some guy says I initially would have to figure out if there are any specific features in the receiver before get it.
Is it right? if yes, How do I find out a right stuff for it.

Really appreciate in advance.
Thanks!!

You would probably get better answers to your questions by posting this in the FTA forums.
To help you a little, in order to use a Slimline for FTA, you would have to rig up a way to get a linear LNBF on it, the Ka/Ku LNBF that DTV uses is circular and will not work on a satellite where you would find FTA. Check out lyngsat.com and global-cm.net, to find out what you might be able to get on Ku-Band.

I routinely receive DVB-S HD and some DVB-S2 HD signals on 85° and 91° using an 18" round DTV dish. Swapped-out the feedhorn with a ku PLL-1KS and using a microHD receiver.

Welcome to the site Rax!!

Yes if you get a bracket or fashion one and buy a good ku band lnbf, it will work for a lot of stuff that is FTA. Some of the DVB-S2 stuff and others will be hard to get but it is still enough to get your feet wet.
Then get you a DVB-S2 capable receiver and you are good to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts