DirecTV keeps going out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mike752

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have had my DirecTV service since October of last year, and, up until a couple weeks ago, only went out once. In the past two weeks, it has gone out twice, both during rainstorms. As of now, it is out and weather.com says we are having "Heavy Thunderstorms" in Southern CT. Should I be worried or is this something I'm going to have to live with? Thanks for your help!

The only way to tell for sure is what your signal would look like on a 'clear' day. A Good Install varies from state to state. In Utah it is 95 on X-Ponder 1 and 100 on X-ponder 32.

Mike,
I would check your signal strength.
One a nice day, they should mostly all be in the high 80's and 90's , I say mostly, because you will have a few that will sit at 0 or very low on the Spot Beam sats because they are not serving your area.

You still need to get your dish re-aligned. Those signals can be better.
The higher the values the more resistant you'll be to rain fade.

You still need to get your dish re-aligned. Those signals can be better.
The higher the values the more resistant you'll be to rain fade.
Okay. How much will it cost, as I don't have the service plan?

DirecTV charged me $49.95+tx to have my dish relocated.
I doubt an alignment would be any more.
I also don't have the protection plan.

Heavy thunderstorms will cause signal loss on a perfectly aligned dish. As jdspencer said though, it'll happen less often if your dish is properly peaked.

There is a tab that says signal meters in the same screen where you read the signals for each transponder signal strength on each satellite(Bottom right. Try that, and post your signal strengths for each satellite.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.